Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Italy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

There's an awful lot of "I feel that..." in this thread, with no one really saying how or why either team may overcome the other.

Tactically I believe Italy playing a 3-5-2 would have put them at a massive advantage in terms of midfield control and nullifying England's crossing ability to an extent by forcing them to deal with Italy's wing backs, unfortunately with Chiellini injured I don't think Prandelli feels safe playing with 3 at the back and will therefore revert to the 4-3-1-2, or diamond formation. While this will dominate the middle of the pitch unquestionably, it also compromises the flanks for Italy quite a bit I believe, and that is why I think England will have any chance at all. Nonetheless, I believe this will be a ridiculously tight game, possibly a score draw in normal time, with either an extra time winner or Penalties.

Italy by the skin of their teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Cassano doesnt use pace to trouble centre backs. He has other ways.

I think Italy have improved vastly. And so has England. Penalties for me.

Forza Azzuri!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

gosplan wrote: »
    They were wrong. It wasn't a b-team by any means, it was a team designed to beat Greece.

The term was used with an element of irony, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't wait for this. England to win 1-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Really can't call this. I've been hoping for a penalty shootout all week and I think there's a good chance we'll get it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

craggles wrote: »
    Tactically I believe Italy playing a 3-5-2 would have put them at a massive advantage in terms of midfield control and nullifying England's crossing ability to an extent by forcing them to deal with Italy's wing backs, unfortunately with Chiellini injured I don't think Prandelli feels safe playing with 3 at the back and will therefore revert to the 4-3-1-2, or diamond formation.

Croatia had guys on the wings vs Italy when they played 352 and they struggled a bit with that. That didn't happen vs Spain as they kept it far more central. So I can sorta see why he's probably going to go ahead with the 4-1-3-2 as it will offer that protection plus it showed that it can work vs a side set up like this (game vs Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Croatia's FB's pushed on a lot though, especially Srna. England won't offer that as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

G.K. wrote: »
    Croatia's FB's pushed on a lot though, especially Srna. England won't offer that as much.

Surely Johnson and Cole to an extent will push very forward you would have to think?

England will be very motivated and will do a good closing down job like Ireland did, they actually have a bit of guile up front too so can really take advantage of a weakened Italy backline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

England 5-0 Italy
    Rooney 2
    Gerrard
    Parker
    Young

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

kincsem wrote: »
    England 5-0 Italy
    Rooney 2
    Gerrard
    Parker
    Young

rollin.gif

...and I think the lad from the snickers ad is going to save a few penalties for England. Doesn't mean it's going to happen though. Guaranteed narrow cagey win either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

1-1 to extra time, a goal a half. Rooney will miss an opportunity to head in a sharp cross thanks to his carpety hair in the 100th minute. Ballotelli or Pirlo to break English hearts 10 minutes later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Wake up people, there is absolutely no chance in hell that Balotelli doesn't score in this game.

It's Balotelli. Against England. It's so, so, so obvious.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can see Italy nicking this, wasn't overly impressed with England form what I saw against France and Sweden (missed the Ukraine game).

Chiellini is a big miss for the Italians however. If England are to get through, it'll be due to Rooney playing a blinder imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i'd be surprised if england didn't get through here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Helix wrote: »
    i'd be surprised if england didn't get through here

prepare to be surprised, come on Italy:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I expect Prandelli to hark back to his Fiorentina days and play a lop-sided unbalanced team. I think Prandelli while at Fiorentina used to play 2 up front with Montolivio as an outside right. The theory was that an unbalanced attack would automatically unbalance the opposing team's defence thereby creating openings. And to a large extent Prandelli was successful with that. I expect Balotelli to play on the side of a conventional formation designed to cause problems with England's static defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I predict England snatch it 1-0 with a tap in by Rooney or a lucky shot by Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thought the Italian display against Spain was the most impressive of any team in the tournament so far. Since they they have been efficiant without being nearly as impressive as that night.

I'd still have them as favourites tonight. England have done well to get in to the quarters but haven't been very impressive. England's wide players, especially ones with pace could be the key for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Cmon England!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Don't think there is much beween the sides. I can't see there being more than one goal in it, or maybe even penalties. Hopefully football justice will prevail and Italy will win. Their route to the quarters has been far more impressive than Englands, who have been lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I expect Prandelli to hark back to his Fiorentina days and play a lop-sided unbalanced team. I think Prandelli while at Fiorentina used to play 2 up front with Montolivio as an outside right. The theory was that an unbalanced attack would automatically unbalance the opposing team's defence thereby creating openings. And to a large extent Prandelli was successful with that. I expect Balotelli to play on the side of a conventional formation designed to cause problems with England's static defence.

Reminds me what Cruyff said about the best way to defend was to bring on an extra striker to occupy the opponents more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Hope England win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

:D

rooney-hair_2253849b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think a tournament with England still in it is more interesting than one there not, so I'd like to see England win this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I can see this going all the way to penalties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Kev the physic chicken from Kiev has predicted a Italy win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I also think that if Prandelli does revert to type and attempt a formation designed to unbalance England then i think this game could have goals in it. Decided to stick my neck out and stuck a tenner on over 4.5 goals at 17/2 :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dunphy thinks England have been unimpressive and won't win tonight. Also agrees with Liam that it will go to penos. Eh o.k. Eamo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

iirc last time England made a major semi was 1996?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

mewso wrote: »
    Dunphy thinks England have been unimpressive and won't win tonight. Also agrees with Liam that it will go to penos. Eh o.k. Eamo.

Blames lack of experience. Yet they still have Cole, Gerrard, JT and Rooney in the side. That's a lot more experience than a lot of teams have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Balo starts

England: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young, Rooney, Welbeck. Subs: Green, Kelly, Walcott, Henderson, Carroll, Baines, Jones, Jagielka, Downing, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe, Butland.

Italy: Buffon, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Balzaretti, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi, Montolivo, Balotelli, Cassano. Subs: Sirigu, Maggio, Chiellini, Ogbonna, Thiago Motta, Di Natale, Giaccherini, Borini, Giovinco, Diamanti, Nocerino, De Sanctis.

Referee: Pedro Proenca (Portugal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

see this one going to penos and england going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Sellini is a massive loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Italy to win this, I just think they will have too much for England in the middle of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will Italy stick to 4-1-3-2 for the game? Didn't see much of the game against Ireland, if it's straight 4-4-2 against 4-1-3-2, then England have a much better chance. Would have preferred Italy to go 3-5-2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

England to lose to Germany on penos (without mentioning the war) would be interesting.

so England to qualify... draw at full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

SantryRed wrote: »
    Will Italy stick to 4-1-3-2 for the game? Didn't see much of the game against Ireland, if it's straight 4-4-2 against 4-1-3-2, then England have a much better chance. Would have preferred Italy to go 3-5-2.

Looks as though they will line up 4-1-3-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Balotelli hasn't impressed me so far, is there a reason why he's getting the nod ahead of Di Natale?

• Advertisement

RT @JamesHorncastle:

Alan Hansen: "Pirlo's not great without the ball" - he leads Italy's midfield with 23 balls recovered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

COME ON ITALY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I love that Italian anthem. Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wud like to see England win to set up a Semi with Germany.

Think they'll get beat 2-1, biggest problem being over ran in the middle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Balotelli hasn't impressed me so far, is there a reason why he's getting the nod ahead of Di Natale?
    Because he's familiar with all the English players? Particularly Lescott and Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Danny to score a screamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That countdown to kick off is so stupid and annoying. That better not catch on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Terry got his boots greased again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Fuuuuck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Holy crap

My goodness

• Advertisement
Advertisement