Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CYCLOPS1

Many thanks , once I have it on a stick, is this ok?put in box,go to upgrade by usb,use the allcode and bootloader,proceed,wait for upgrade to finish, and then presumably reboot[does it tell me?] ,remove stick,do factory reset/restore,rescan channels. This is nerve racking stuff.
    If I did the exact same thing WITH the channels added is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

CYCLOPS1 wrote: »
    Many thanks , once I have it on a stick, is this ok?put in box,go to upgrade by usb,use the allcode and bootloader,proceed,wait for upgrade to finish, and then presumably reboot[does it tell me?] ,remove stick,do factory reset/restore,rescan channels. This is nerve racking stuff.

I always do factory reset then upgrade then another factory reset. Might be overkill but works. When scanning scan on 28.2 fta only and personally I do blind scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭PatchZ

Yes on that process.
    In the case of the code with the channels included just don't factory reset the system. This removes the channels listing. I already did that before I scanned the channels.

Now a question; I have eurobird channels here but is astra a better bet? I know there were some legal issues recently between the operators of the two satellites.
    Thanks.

Patchz, I just experimented with a USB stick for short recording on timer[still on v1.25], box recorded and then switched off within 10 seconds [as per setting in pvr sub menu]. I changed setting in pvr menu to stay on after recording ,repeated test and indeed it did. Changed it back to switch off and it did . Repeated a couple of times ok,although once the picture on all channels[not recordings] wobbling- panic attack-ok when switched box off and on again-hopefully a once off. Did test again and seems ok,switching on and off after recording as per setting in pvr sub menu. Is a usb stick totally different to your powered recordiing device and is stopping box switching off ?

Patchz, I just experimented with a USB stick for short recording on timer[still on v1.25], box recorded and then switched off within 10 seconds [as per setting in pvr sub menu]. I changed setting in pvr menu to stay on after recording ,repeated test and indeed it did. Changed it back to switch off and it did . Repeated a couple of times ok,although once the picture on all channels[not recordings] wobbling- panic attack-ok when switched box off and on again-hopefully a once off. Did test again and seems ok,switching on and off after recording as per setting in pvr sub menu. Is a usb stick totally different to your powered recordiing device and is stopping box switching off ?

Blimey thanks for this. I will have a go again and see what happens.
    I wonder if it might be my external disk? I have an issue with it where it gets unmounted correctly when the box powers down. However, when I restart the box I hear it trying to mount the disk again, over and over, but it fails and I need to switch the disk off then on again to get it to mount okay. Maybe I'm seeing something odd with this on the auto-powerdown although I don't think it likely. I'm sure I did a reset to factory when I put 1.25 in so probably not the programming although that's possible.
    Anyhow, I'll test again and see what happens. Just finding time with the kids and work is difficult.

Thanks again for letting me know.

Welcome to my world!

I was wondering [maybe it exists already somewhere], but would one of our contributors with obvious technical knowledge perhaps put up a SIMPLE ,step by step guide for putting a software update onto an Ariva 150 onto this forum. It would surely be of fantastic benefit to all us novice upgraders , who live in fear of making a mess of it, and damaging the box.Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

This has already been done on several posts in this thread. http://www.mediafire.com/view/69yp35sijci8dly/How_to_upgrade_ariva_150_firmware_edited.pdf

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thank you Tony ,but that doesn't mention factory restore after upgrade and subsequent reboot, which the Ferguson site says to do.Also,when is the correct time/stage to remove the usb from the box?

That would be pointless as it would wipe out the channel list contained in the firmware I posted.

Thank you Tony ,but that doesn't mention factory restore after upgrade and subsequent reboot,

• Advertisement

Sorry Tony, I meant if software update only[not including channel list]

• Registered Users Posts: 9 taylorguy

damn i paid 120 each! I'll buy online in future..i'm very happy with it , hdmi, plays off usb, great, i had a much older ferguson combi up to this.

Cyclops, just tried this myself and I cannot get the box to turn off after record with the 1.25 firmware. Tried with both external hd and a reformatted usb key. Both failed. Back to 1.24b1 and it works fine. Odd. Now one thing I did and shouldn't have is switch off the timeshift. Set it back to on and no difference but I wonder is there a problem with the box where when some settings are changed. Got to be some difference between our setups.

When I get a chance I'll try it again.

Hi patchz,bit of mystery that,I at no stage touched time shift,that I know of,and just used a standard 4g USB stick straight out of the pack(formatted fat32 already)it
    behaved as I described. Before this ,when I updated to v1.25 I then did full factory reset and manually rescanned channels(no list on USB).does anyone know of any downside to v1.24b1 compared to v1.25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

What the user interface like to use on this Ariva 150?

I've used others and the EPG is flakey, also it requires setup every few months (not ideal).

I've used others and the EPG is flakey, also it requires setup every few months (not ideal).

It's fine as far as I can tell. I haven't really used any other boxes except when on holiday and those I have used have been awful.

There is only Now/Next on the satellite channels on the 150, not the full EPG. You get that on the terrestrial channels though. The Now/Next has improved in the more recent firmware updates so keep the code recent. Firmware updates can be a bit of a pain but we do post updates here with channel lists included. However, if you are not careful with the update you can brick the box. That is recoverable but tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

PatchZ wrote: »
    Is that my 1.24b1 firmware? If not then I think BBC 1 & 2 moved some time back so it may be that. Here's my latest version of 1.24b1 that should sort you out. It used Eurobird rather than Astra but it should work fine. Let me know if you have any difficulties. Just to note that the last two firmwares 1.24b8 & 1.25b4 are duds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3432rij3le3z36n/Ariva150_124b1.abs

Hi PatchZ,

Hopefully you still around. I have never touched an Ariva but my brothers mother in law fell on the remote and all Saorview channels are scrambled and the UK free to air are jumbled. As I use E2 boxes she asked me to have a look.

From your post it may be easier for me to fresh flash the box as I am not familier with the menu etc - can I assume that
    I use a blank USB to place the dropbox file onto
    Insert in 150, find the update via USB option and let it do it's stuff
    When box reboots the firmware and your custom channel list will be present

Your channel list - is it set up as Saorview followed by the FTA channels (astra)? Are they further broken into catagories?

Sorry for just jumping in here but I am hoping to get to her house and back to work within an hour (30 mins to update) - is this reasonable?

I see Tony has a similar post(s) with firmware etc - are there any differences?

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree!

cheers

Hi PatchZ,

Hopefully you still around. I have never touched an Ariva but my brothers mother in law fell on the remote and all Saorview channels are scrambled and the UK free to air are jumbled. As I use E2 boxes she asked me to have a look.

From your post it may be easier for me to fresh flash the box as I am not familier with the menu etc - can I assume that
    I use a blank USB to place the dropbox file onto
    Insert in 150, find the update via USB option and let it do it's stuff
    When box reboots the firmware and your custom channel list will be present

Your channel list - is it set up as Saorview followed by the FTA channels (astra)? Are they further broken into catagories?

Sorry for just jumping in here but I am hoping to get to her house and back to work within an hour (30 mins to update) - is this reasonable?

I see Tony has a similar post(s) with firmware etc - are there any differences?

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree!

cheers

Hey. You're exactly right about the upgrade. Just make sure to remove the usb key safely from the pc; the box doesn't appear to check the binary and you can end up bricking the box. It will have the channels set up. Main channels in one list, film & odds&ends in the next, music, kids or something like that. Differences between the two versions are minimal; we're not even sure what they are as ferguson don't say. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Hey. You're exactly right about the upgrade. Just make sure to remove the usb key safely from the pc; the box doesn't appear to check the binary and you can end up bricking the box. It will have the channels set up. Main channels in one list, film & odds&ends in the next, music, kids or something like that. Differences between the two versions are minimal; we're not even sure what they are as ferguson don't say. Good luck with it.

Spot on. Thanks for your time and effort. I appreciate guys like yourself (and many others on this site) who take the time to guide and help others.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Here's a channel list/firmware 1.23 for the 150 combo including new BBC Hd channels http://www.mediafire.com/download/mtaln1t3v99ne9v/A150Combo_06Dec13_V1.23B2.abs

Here's the How To guide, follow instructions to the letter and upgrade at your own risk http://www.mediafire.com/view/69yp35sijci8dly/How%20to%20upgrade%20ariva%20150%20firmware%20edited.pdf

Edit: If you see a bin file mis match warning then do not proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭joe6pack

Just loaded this firmware onto box and it said "bins do not match do you want to proceed" I selected yes and the upgrade went ahead like normal.But now box won't load and looks as if it's bricked...
    Any ideas be greatly appreciated!!

Do you have another box of the same model by any chance , if so you can load the non working box with the working one . If not the only way to re load is to use the null modem procedure which you will find earlier in the thread.

Thanks for getting back Tony!
    I do have another 2 boxes here running the last firmware posted here on the forum I think it was from Patchz...
    Whats the procedure for loading the bricked box from a running one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is it showing "ash" or what is it doing?

If it's showing "ash" the only way to unbrick it, as far as I am aware, is the null modem method.

No no "ASH" but the OSD is showing a load of mumbo jumbo

• Advertisement

Can you make out any of the menus?

Thanks for getting back!
    No OSD on box itself makes no sense and nothing appears on tv screen after ARIVA logo

Tony might have an easier solution and I have know doubt he know far more about these boxes than I do, but I think it looks like you'll need the null modem reflash.

Tony wrote: »
    Here's a channel list/firmware 1.23 for the 150 combo including new BBC Hd channels http://www.mediafire.com/download/mtaln1t3v99ne9v/A150Combo_06Dec13_V1.23B2.abs

Here's the How To guide, follow instructions to the letter and upgrade at your own risk http://www.mediafire.com/view/69yp35sijci8dly/How%20to%20upgrade%20ariva%20150%20firmware%20edited.pdf

Edit: If you see a bin file mis match warning then do not proceed

Tony,

I think your link earlier had the incorrect firmware. I'm not sure but I think it was 1.25b4 for a different box. That would certainly brick the box wouldn't it?

Thanks,
    Patch

There seemed to be an issue with the link from mediafire, this happened once before if memory serves so best to check the actual file name matches the model before using it. I've re posted the link but still best to double check and above all do not proceed if the Binary file mis match message appears. I might look at other file sharing sites if this is going to be a problem.

Tony,

I think your link earlier had the incorrect firmware. I'm not sure but I think it was 1.25b4 for a different box. That would certainly brick the box wouldn't it?

Thanks,
    Patch

• Advertisement

Ok if the boxes are the same model then what you do is power up the working box with the non working box in mains off (switch at the back) position . The working box must remain on at all times during the procedure . Connect a null modem cable between the boxes and then power up the non working box, you should see the display showing the upload and takes quite a few minutes to complete, disconnect the null modem cable once complete and it should be back working.

joe6pack wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back Tony!
    I do have another 2 boxes here running the last firmware posted here on the forum I think it was from Patchz...
    Whats the procedure for loading the bricked box from a running one??

I got the Ferguson Ariva 250 installed yesterday and it looks very good. Menu is very easy to use.
    I must recommend Freesat.ie they had the channel list preinstalled (and also gave me the channel list over email). Delivery was next day too. ;)

+1

I got the Ferguson Ariva 250 installed yesterday and it looks very good. Menu is very easy to use.
    I must recommend Freesat.ie they had the channel list preinstalled (and also gave me the channel list over email). Delivery was next day too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I got an Ariva 150 off satellite.ie

Loaded up an external hard drive with loads of 5gb 1080p MKV movies all with DTS sound. But they don't play on my stereo TV. The picture is perfect but no sound. The .avi files with stereo sound play fine.

I assumed the software would automatically demux the 5.1 DTS to stereo, but obviously not. Is there any way to get this working?

Also can't believe wifi is not included. How much do wifi adapters cost manufacturers these days, a few euro? Is there any box like the ariva which might include wifi and demux 5.1?

I got an Ariva 150 off satellite.ie

Loaded up an external hard drive with loads of 5gb 1080p MKV movies all with DTS sound. But they don't play on my stereo TV. The picture is perfect but no sound. The .avi files with stereo sound play fine.

I assumed the software would automatically demux the 5.1 DTS to stereo, but obviously not. Is there any way to get this working?

Also can't believe wifi is not included. How much do wifi adapters cost manufacturers these days, a few euro? Is there any box like the ariva which might include wifi and demux 5.1?

You could buy a USB wifi antenna on ebay from Hong Kong for a few euro eg:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150Mbps-Mini-USB-Wireless-WiFi-Network-Card-802-11n-g-b-w-Antenna-LAN-Adapter-/181280114723?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item2a35230823

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Cheers iba but still shagged with the DST not downmixing to stereo. And also no MHEG5. I might be laughed off with this question but any hope of writing custom firmware to fix these things?! Surely it's possible if people can write firmware to load CCCam and stuff like that.

iba wrote: »

Will any wifi usb dongle work with the Ariva?
    this tp-link one is in DID for 12.99 http://www.did.ie/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-usb-adapter-tl-wn821n-prd
    Will it work?

Don't think it will as the arivas use a Ralink 5370 dongle

Will any wifi usb dongle work with the Ariva?
    this tp-link one is in DID for 12.99 http://www.did.ie/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-usb-adapter-tl-wn821n-prd
    Will it work?

For a USB wifi dongle to work with any ariva box, it must be on a Ralink 5370 chipset. I doubt the one you have linked to is. (But I could be wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Hi guys this is as massive thread and hard to read all the posts. I'm not as techie as some of ye guys on here I wish I was the way technology is changing but I'm not useless either lol.
    Anyways I bought a ariva 150 last week and it seems grand, but I'm wondering is there something I should be downloading to get me more from the box. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Also just one last questions.the guy who sold me the box says it does not work off wifi that I wanted I would have to attach a LAN connector line to it. But if I'm reading it right here some posters are saying to buy a wifi connector. Am I misunderstanding this or not

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Hi guys this is as massive thread and hard to read all the posts. I'm not as techie as some of ye guys on here I wish I was the way technology is changing but I'm not useless either lol.
    Anyways I bought a ariva 150 last week and it seems grand, but I'm wondering is there something I should be downloading to get me more from the box. Thanks in advance.

They're a good box.

Anything regarding getting "more from the box" cannot be discussed here for legal reasons.

Also just one last questions.the guy who sold me the box says it does not work off wifi that I wanted I would have to attach a LAN connector line to it. But if I'm reading it right here some posters are saying to buy a wifi connector. Am I misunderstanding this or not

It will work off wifi but my advice (based on experience) would be to use a LAN connector if you can at all.

If you must use a wifi dongle use one of these as opposed to one of these for much better signal quality and heat dissipation leading to a longer life for the dongle.

I'm afraid this seller is badly misinformed.

Also just one last questions.the guy who sold me the box says it does not work off wifi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 willwe

We have not had an upgrade in a while. Any reason for this?

willwe wrote: »
    We have not had an upgrade in a while. Any reason for this?

I had expected one before xmas like last year but not to be. However, just a quick look back at the last few releases and they come out every 2 to 3 months on average so maybe we're looking at one shortly; maybe next week or two. I am surprised we didn't get a quick release as the last one reintroduced an older bug but there you go.

Hi guys what do ye mean upgrade. Upgrade to what. I'm using the ariva 150 combo by the way. Having great fun with it actually ahmmm

Hi guys what do ye mean upgrade. Upgrade to what. I'm using the ariva 150 combo by the way. Having great fun with it actually ahmmm

They are talking about updating to latest firmware releases.

Thanks mate but can you tell me what firmware actually does

• Advertisement

Thanks mate but can you tell me what firmware actually does

This tells you what firmware is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Advertisement