Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

I know we always say there should be more festivals and the like in Waterford, here's one... sounds decent too. Should help local shops at Christmas time boost sales even more if all goes to plan. Stuff planned includes:

3D Audio Visual show @ Cathedral Square
    Winterval Marketplace
    'A Taste of Christmas Past' food experience @ Bishops Palace
    Carousel @ Red Square
    Santa's Grotto
    Transformation of Waterford Crystal on the Mall to 'Crystal Christmas'

Like I say, sounds good, more info here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Great idea,

Should in theory bring in families from all over into the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

we,re only heading into july man calm down!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

But Santa is busy downloading all the drivers etc for all the kid's Xmas presents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Not a summer person at all so actually looking forward to it. Used to love the spread they did over in Edinburgh for december, hopefully this will be similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sounds really nice. Especially the taste of christmas past part.
    Mmmmmmmmm food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hehe, not much in that website, but the idea looks deadly. I love that time of year - as long as it's not raining! Maybe we're getting the rain out of the way now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Looks good but here's hoping the council don't hike up the parking costs around that time! In all seriousness it does look decent but they really need to do something like have free parking in Ballybricken throughout December if they really want to attract people back to the city centre
    for things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

yeah, if the numbers come to the City that are hoped for, then parking may be an issue one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

...do something like have free parking in Ballybricken throughout December...

It is hard enough for residences in Ballybricken to get parking there at Christmas without it being free of charge for all in-sundry. Contrary to popular belief charging for parking on streets in the inter city is not all about collecting money, it is also about regulating the parking so people don’t leave their car there all day and not give others the chance to park.

BBM77 wrote: »
    It is hard enough for residences in Ballybricken to get parking there at Christmas without it being free of charge for all in-sundry. Contrary to popular belief charging for parking on streets in the inter city is not all about collecting money, it is also about regulating the parking so people don’t leave their car there all day and not give others the chance to park.

Yeah not about the money at all. Recieved a parking fine whilst purchasing our Christmas tree in Kervicks last December, I was less than ten minutes..hardly entices me to repeat my purchase this year..apparently there's no longer a grace period in which to even get change for the parking meter now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yeah not about the money at all. Recieved a parking fine whilst purchasing our Christmas tree in Kervicks last December, I was less than ten minutes..hardly entices me to repeat my purchase this year..apparently there's no longer a grace period in which to even get change for the parking meter now.:rolleyes:

Well I don’t know about the rights and wrongs of individual parking tickets issued.

Just because you got a ticket and felt hard done by does not prove that a system is all about money.

I am old enough to remember before disc parking started in the Ballybricken area. The streets used to be jammed with cars from about 8 to 6 every week day. It is often like that at Christmas now; you could be driving around the whole area and not find a space. I think the residence of the area have greater cause to feel hard done by in that case.

PS: I don’t see why you would not give Kervicks your business again this year because a completely separate organisation gave you a parking ticket. Why take it out on Kervicks or the other businesses in the area.

Not taking anything out on Kervicks but it hardly entices custom in ballybricken when you get a ticket under 10 mins. Kervicks are among the most expensive trees at xmas, I was merely trying to support a local business which I and many others will think twice about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I actually don't even bother trying to find parking near where I live at times around christmas. Not worth the hassle. Usually just leave it at a relations and collect it when its quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

I Was at the info night for Winterval -
    it was great -
    about 80 or so people - amazed at some of the ideas -
    the undercroft as santas grotto -
    a mini train with elves to bring the kids around the christmas trail -
    greyfriars as a viking village
    black friars as an eastern European market
    loads of events for 23 days - an expected 1/2 million visitors
    and the unbelievable wingers on boards are whining about parking spaces -
    are ye mf's ever happy????????????

Happy Christmas to all ye sad negative boardsies -

RANT OVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

jennygirl wrote: »
    it was great -

RANT OVER!

Hi Jenny, where & when was the info night? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

it was great -

RANT OVER!
    Sounds good. Any idea why they are marketing this at the height of summer? Obviously plans need to start now but why are there press releases in the papers and signage up in shops (on the Quay anyway)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

it was great -
    loads of events for 23 days

Sounds savage!

an expected 1/2 million visitors

:eek:

RANT OVER!

LOL, I'm with you there... if we hosted the Olympics there would be people on here complaining about parking! Funny how I also live in Waterford and have never had any problem finding parking in town (with the exception of a day or two before Christmas) yet there are all these people who can never find a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The website has been launched and looks good, plenty of things to choose from.

http://www.winterval.ie/events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »

LOL, I'm with you there... if we hosted the Olympics there would be people on here complaining about parking! Funny how I also live in Waterford and have never had any problem finding parking in town (with the exception of a day or two before Christmas) yet there are all these people who can never find a space.

Nice one, ridiculous isnt it, cost of parking, traffic, queues in shops, lack of space in shops, rude assistants, its all a disgrace. Its about bloody time the council done something about the cold weather around the city in December too, this is exactly the reason why i didnt pay my household charge bla bla bla.

Seriously, it looks great and if people stopped their whining and left their local to get in and support the city centre, we would all be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Looks great, fair play to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well now that looks just fantastic. A big well done to everyone involved in putting it together and running, loads of stuff to see and do. some nice dry weather now please!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Think it sounds brill ok, but was talking to one of the organising committe the other day and he was telling me about the santa's grotto which sounds fantastic, with a toy museum santa 's elves, and a present but the cost will be 15 euro per child. Thought that was a bit steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Looks absolutely fantastic, my only gripe is that certain things are a bit pricey.
    Santa's grotto and the train spring to mind, but, overall I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

web site launched
    www.winterval.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The reptiles and animals in the city centre will go down well with my toddler, very impressed with the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Looks great, really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

Would you like to volunteer to be part of Winterval, Waterford's new Christmas Festival?
    Come along to an open meeting on Wednesday, October 24th in Dooley’s Hotel on The Quay at 7p.m. Why not bring a friend with you! (volunteers must be over 18 years).
    A few hours of your time during the month of December would help enormously. Enjoy the magic of Christmas by volunteering for some of the events that are planned from November 30th to December 23rd.

Everyone is welcome to the meeting. Contact Catherine (051 840011) or Michael (085 1899641) if you have any queries. If you cannot make this meeting and would like to get involved please drop in to the Winterval office at 127 The Quay (near Reginald’s Tower) which is open Monday to Friday from 11a.m. to 3p.m. This meeting is being hosted by the Winterval Committee and Waterford Volunteer Support Committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

''A few hours of your time during the month of December would help enormously. Enjoy the magic of Christmas by volunteering for some of the events that are planned from November 30th to December 23rd''

Are these people really for real? Do ye live in the real f...... world?
    'Enjoy the magic of Christmas by volunteering'
    Is this the limit of the Waterford City Councils thinking?
    I'll assume 'you' are asking people to donate their time to promote Waterford City for absolute nothing??
    There are both enough idiots volunteering & more than enough councils literally taking advantage of people by using them without payment using the excuse of limited funding.

Anyone who volunteers for this needs their heads examined...
    Wait....maybe B.... will be at the forefront or will he be doing his shopping in Kilkenny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

SPQRI wrote: »

Wait....maybe B.... will be at the forefront or will he be doing his shopping in Kilkenny!!!

Couldnt disagree more. If someone wants to volunteer then why not? Its no skin off any of our noses. Fair play to whoever volunteers. If I was able to volunteer I definitely would.

whats with all the bold writing anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

SPQRI wrote: »
    ''A few hours of your time during the month of December would help enormously. Enjoy the magic of Christmas by volunteering for some of the events that are planned from November 30th to December 23rd''

Are these people really for real? Do ye live in the real f...... world?
    'Enjoy the magic of Christmas by volunteering'
    Is this the limit of the Waterford City Councils thinking?
    I'll assume 'you' are asking people to donate their time to promote Waterford City for absolute nothing??
    There are both enough idiots volunteering & more than enough councils literally taking advantage of people by using them without payment using the excuse of limited funding.

Retail in Ireland is really running on fumes and without a big Christmas I fear we are going to see allot of places go under. If this gets a few hundred people into the city who might have gone elsewhere then it might make all the difference. You can't seriously expect people involved in these kind of thin .to get paid do you? If that we're the case the likes of Sproai, Tall Ships, Marathons, St. Patricks Day would never happen. Fair play to anyone who volunteers a young family means I definitely can't but it's something I'd Love to do.

Advertisement