Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

jad2007 wrote: »
    it does seem odd that the event company hired is run by the main orgainiser of the festival.
    You've anything to back up your statement?
    Just lost €2.50 at CRO to check this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ I doubt it's the case that they are same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Maybe they felt there are no marketing firms in Watergord with the required expertise to successfully launch a national festival?

I don't know but I imagine they would have used local services as much as possible and would need a reason to go outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Maybe they felt there are no marketing firms in Watergord with the required expertise to successfully launch a national festival?

I don't know but I imagine they would have used local services as much as possible and would need a reason to go outside the county.

Over here in the UK I've been to loads of events, Christmas, Halloween, etc. and they're always planned by event management companies, usually from elsewhere. But they put on a great festival, people are happy to attend, local suppliers get a chance to show off their businesses and sell something, the wider economy benefits from the influx of visitors and everyone wins in my opinion.

I think Winterval is a great idea and will be a success even if its not fully organised in-house. I hope we can all get behind it and fair play to those who will volunteer and help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

The Winterval Festival is being delivered by a committee of volunteers chaired by Barry Monaghan.
    ALA are the market managers who were appointed following a tender competition.
    The festival is a not for profit organisation, similar to the Waterford Harvest Festival, and is part funded by Waterford City Council.

Many of the Winterval events and activities are free, for example Waterford Illuminates (the 3D light show in Cathedral Square), the toy museum in the Large Room at City Hall, the Yule Viking Christmas in Greyfriars, the animal farm (entry at Coal Quay), the giant post box on John Robert’s Square, story telling at Reginald’s Tower...
    all the details can be found on www.winterval.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I know a fella working on Winterval organisation as part of a community employment scheme. People on CE schemes are involved in the organisation of all festivals. From what he says, 1 or 2 council people, some FAS CE people and volunteers are the main force behind it so I dont think some dublin crowd are responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

old gregg wrote: »
    Personally I don't have a problem with the festival as such. Anything that brightens the streets is great. My query was purely in relation to local businesses being bypassed which does impact upon local prosperity. It is unfortunate that that an opinion can be twisted by some resulting in inane statements like 'get over yourselves'.

The comments was direct directly at you, but more so the apathetic element of the cities populance, whose begrudging everything, is costing the city dearly.

Considering the hardwork and effort gone into getting the festival going and then to have people say 'well it should be for the locals', is a cheap shot at the hard work of the organiser.

Why can't people, just enjoy it for what it is, and if it is a success, then over the next few years the locals can get more involved as their will viability into the stalls, attractions, etc.

Kracken wrote: »
    The comments were not directed at you, because you are brilliant and a shining example of all that's warm and wonderful in the world.

FYP :p

Many thanks :D

I think my point is proven about how local retailers treat their local shoppers.

Take a look at the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056522615, it shows that Waterford people at sometimes their own worst enemy.

If people want the city to prosper then do you not think that the people need to change first before the city does?

^ not sure why you quoted me there?

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    ^ not sure why you quoted me there?

Apologise, i had pasted something else and it scrolled out of few....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I don't know, but the cost they are charging to the stall holders in setting up this huge village will likely make it impossible for many of the local small crafts and artisan food people to participate. I imagine many will be large and coming in from the likes of Dublin.

I don't know, but the cost they are charging to the stall holders in setting up this huge village will likely make it impossible for many of the local small crafts and artisan food people to participate. I imagine many will be large and coming in from the likes of Dublin.

I can't remember the exact details but something was said about something being done for the people who regularly have stalls in town but it wouldn't be worth their while taking the big ones for Winterval. Think they're being given smaller pitches or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

see a lot of new cabins littered around town they look decent enough wouldnt mind having one out the back garden, great advertising for " kilkenny sheds "
    see the bowery is being converted to a cinema and thank st nick it is going to be a free event, lights look great up town and the carousel is off and running q of around 300 for it this evening they made a killing @3€; a head...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hoffmans wrote: »
    see a lot of new cabins littered around town they look decent enough wouldnt mind having one out the back garden, great advertising for " kilkenny sheds "
    see the bowery is being converted to a cinema and thank st nick it is going to be a free event, lights look great up town and the carousel is off and running q of around 300 for it this evening they made a killing @3€; a head...

Oh ****e. This isn't going to end well. The conspiracy theorists will definitely be up in arms about this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Can ANYONE who in their poor state of mind & health come back at a later date & tell us all the pleasure they have gained out of it!

I can understand anyone volunteering for a football club, a gymastics club, a scout group anything connected with the youth but this is absolutely ridiculous!

I heard a story during the week of a person on a 'job placement' in a pharma' plant in Waterford City who is working unpaid overtime with the 'possibility' of a full time position. This to me is no different to this festival, looking to screw people & for all ye morons who come on here to disagree, ye have no principals of morality!

I for one will not spend one cent in this toe rag of a city!
    Put on the poor mouth & all you get is beggars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I would consider myself to be a cynical person but I could never commit myself to a rotten attitude like this.

It's the first year of Winterval so we need to see how it performs. However, I believe it's a no brainer that Waterford hosting Ireland's "Christmas Festival" could do wonders for local businesses. It's great for kids and the city looks positively resplendent right now.

They obviously had a budget to work with and as far as i know, nobody here is privy to what those budgets were. The talk of the Kilkenny Sheds is interesting but irritating also. The owner of that business lives in waterford and spends the majority of his money in Waterford. On one hand people are asking that Kilkenny People support WRH and on the other hand we hit the roof if Waterford even hints at supporting a Kilkenny business (that's a little bit more than dipped in blue). They're our closest neighbours and IMO the pathetic that some of you guys show is a bit embarrassing.

SPQRI, I'm guessing you were slightly influenced by the ale or the porter when you were writing that post but I have no doubt that it's 100% how you feel about the Festival. I'd love if there was someway that we could prevent you from benefiting it, but alas there's not, and even the begrudgers should gain from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I would urge everyone to ignore the troll/fool. I can't wait for the festival, will be great for the kids too, very proud something like this is going on in my city and hopefully it will boost trade for the city centre shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Kracken wrote: »
    I think my point is proven about how local retailers treat their local shoppers.

Take a look at the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056522615, it shows that Waterford people at sometimes their own worst enemy.

If people want the city to prosper then do you not think that the people need to change first before the city does?

Look, that could happen anywhere. In any city. It is not unique to Waterford. I think a great effort is being made by all concerned. Heck, I might even forgive them for using Kilkenny sheds.:p

I know a small retailer in the City Centre, and the rates they pay are absolutely crippling. I hope Winterval brings people like him a little extra business.

WLR are doing an outside broadcast on the day.
    Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I have no problem with them using businesses from outside. You hire the best people for the job, and if the Waterford choice wasn't as good as the outside one, why would you pick it?

I have no problem with them using businesses from outside. You hire the best people for the job, and if the Waterford choice wasn't as good as the outside one, why would you pick it?

I completely agree. I'm all for supporting local businesses as much as possible but, at the end of the day, if Winterval is going to succeed and thrive, it has to make its decisions with cost, quality and a number of other considerations in mind.

I really can't wait for it. I'm talking it up to anyone who'll listen!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I would urge everyone to ignore the troll/fool. I can't wait for the festival, will be great for the kids too, very proud something like this is going on in my city and hopefully it will boost trade for the city centre shops.

You want people to work for 'nothing' do you, to anothers advantage?

I hope when your kids go looking for work there will be a paid income for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

SPQRI wrote: »

One day you will post a positive thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

There is a difference between volunteering for the craic and cheap labour. A big difference.

I also hope that when my kids go looking for work they won't have to move for work because people decided not to spend money in this 'toe rag' of a city or however you described it.

I for one will not spend one cent in this toe rag of a city!

WTF are you on?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    One day you will post a positive thread.

Maybe someday I will when there is something to be positive about in this town. Too many people & companies bleeting about hard times & the lack of investment or funding but investment starts at home.

You invest in the local populas through paying jobs which will obviously put more money in to the community. Companies & councils looking for free labour does absolutely nothing for anyone. It makes the economic situation even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Maybe someday I will when there is something to be positive about in this town. Too many people & companies bleeting about hard times & the lack of investment or funding but investment starts at home.

You invest in the local populas through paying jobs which will obviously put more money in to the community. Companies & councils looking for free labour does absolutely nothing for anyone. It makes the economic situation even worse!

More verbal diarrheoa.

Everyone knows we need jobs but festivals and events are ran on a shoe-string. If you are so disappointed with Waterford, why dont you leave? in my past experience with similar attitudes, probably because you would rather spread this negative than get off your back side to do something positive for yourself, your hometown and the local populas, scared ****less to leave the cosy confines of your local.

cant wait for winterval, looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

You could move but the problem is you would bring you with you, attitude is your problem the top end of that glass is what you have to concentrate on .

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    More verbal diarrheoa.

Everyone knows we need jobs but festivals and events are ran on a shoe-string. If you are so disappointed with Waterford, why dont you leave? in my past experience with similar attitudes, probably because you would rather spread this negative than get off your back side to do something positive for yourself, your hometown and the local populas, scared ****less to leave the cosy confines of your local.

cant wait for winterval, looks great

What do you know about running festivals Max?

What have you volunteered for?

Is everyone here who disagrees with the 'learned few' just another

wanton drinker as I must be, judging from the amount of time I spend in

the local??? Four more when you're ready Pat!!!!

Advertisement