Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

SPQRI wrote: »

What do you know about running festivals Max?

What have you volunteered for?

Is everyone here who disagrees with the 'learned few' just another

wanton drinker as I must be, judging from the amount of time I spend in

the local??? Four more when you're ready Pat!!!!

Actual bull**** is all your posting now.

I'm counting down the days for 30th November until it all kicks off. The 30th of november is also the day my partner will get left go from his job but were not going to let this dampen our Christmas.

On Friday I'm planning on bringing my daughter in to post her letter at the fab letter box in barronstrand street and then hop on the train and hopefully catch the light show before we go home to watch the late late toy show.

I'm gona make the most of it and will go see everything that is on offer. I went in for the turning on of the lights lastnight and there was s great buzz around!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Well said michellie, I know how it feels, ye will both get through it hun :-)) keep strong

er1983 wrote: »
    Well said michellie, I know how it feels, ye will both get through it hun :-)) keep strong

We surely will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Maybe someday I will when there is something to be positive about in this town. Too many people & companies bleeting about hard times & the lack of investment or funding but investment starts at home.

You invest in the local populas through paying jobs which will obviously put more money in to the community. Companies & councils looking for free labour does absolutely nothing for anyone. It makes the economic situation even worse!

You're a fine one to talk about bleating - all you're on here to do is p!ss and moan and generally be a negative nelly. Knocking people for having an interest in trying to draw a bit of a buzz into the city for Christmas.

You weren't happy when a couple of thousand extra people decided to turn up to support the blues a few weeks ago, and now you're not happy that people are being encouraged to volunteer to help an initiative that could bring much needed footfall and money into the city.

YOU'RE SOME DOPE BOI!!!!

I'd say it must be some craic on your 16-seater with all the giving out you do - you've some neck advertising that on here at the same time as all the negative sh1te you've managed to spout in just a month on this account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Itchianus wrote: »
    You're a fine one to talk about bleating - all you're on here to do is p!ss and moan and generally be a negative nelly. Knocking people for having an interest in trying to draw a bit of a buzz into the city for Christmas.

You weren't happy when a couple of thousand extra people decided to turn up to support the blues a few weeks ago, and now you're not happy that people are being encouraged to volunteer to help an initiative that could bring much needed footfall and money into the city.

YOU'RE SOME DOPE BOI!!!!

I'd say it must be some craic on your 16-seater with all the giving out you do - you've some neck advertising that on here at the same time as all the negative sh1te you've managed to spout in just a month on this account.

If all those 'TOURISTS' who attended the RSC for the game v Dundalk had been there all season we might have had a few euro more to invest in players & to strengthen the squad! Again its all about investing in the local economy or football club!

And invest in people, pay peanuts & all you get is monkeys!

As for the bus, get it while it's going 'cause they'll be fcuk all left in this town come the 1st January 2013!

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »

I'm counting down the days for 30th November until it all kicks off. The 30th of november is also the day my partner will get left go from his job but were not going to let this dampen our Christmas.

On Friday I'm planning on bringing my daughter in to post her letter at the fab letter box in barronstrand street and then hop on the train and hopefully catch the light show before we go home to watch the late late toy show.

I'm gona make the most of it and will go see everything that is on offer. I went in for the turning on of the lights lastnight and there was s great buzz around!

Good luck to you so & I hope you enjoy it all!

Let me know how you are getting on during the dark days & long evenings of January & February!

You'll probably be looking forward to St. Patricks Day, another free festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

michellie wrote: »

That black coffee shop thing is Barronstrand Street is taking the whole look off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

If all those 'TOURISTS' who attended the RSC for the game v Dundalk had been there all season we might have had a few euro more to invest in players & to strengthen the squad! Again its all about investing in the local economy or football club!

And invest in people, pay peanuts & all you get is monkeys!

As for the bus, get it while it's going 'cause they'll be fcuk all left in this town come the 1st January 2013!

At the risk of going off topic, regarding Waterford United there simply is no interest in this town for a local football team. Football fans in the town simply watch English teams on the telly and save up what money they have to go to England to watch their team play. Sad but true.

7upfree wrote: »
    That black coffee shop thing is Barronstrand Street is taking the whole look off it.

Is you a racist man!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I was one of those 'TOURISTS' and the gang I brought with me were also 'TOURISTS'. I have zero interest in soccer of any description and only went along to help make up a crowd. It was a decent if freezing night out. I saw myself more as a volunteer than a soccer fan. :)

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    I was one of those 'TOURISTS' and the gang I brought with me were also 'TOURISTS'. I have zero interest in soccer of any description and only went along to help make up a crowd. It was a decent if freezing night out. I saw myself more as a volunteer than a soccer fan. :)

You must have had free tickets then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

old gregg wrote: »

Sorry for going off topic, but I was a season ticket holder at the RSC for 3/4 years a couple of years back. There was a number of reasons I stopped going,

1) The football was pure shït to watch (at the time)
    2) It wasn't value for money and I had to tighten the pursestrings
    3) My son was born so had less free time
    4) Frustrating to see the club change nothing in terms of pre match and half time entertainment, frustrating to see no effort being made to bring more of a crowd in.
    5) Was sick of listening to idiots down there who'd tell the players to "get it up the pitch" and when a lad would send it long and lose it, then he'd get abuse and be told to "get it on the deck and play", people hadn't a clue down there.

I used to buy a programme and raffle tickets down there and I still try to do my bit, I buy the home jersey every time they change it, but why put any more time and effort into something that honestly gives nothing back. At the end of the day it's only a sports team, plenty of those in Waterford, so I'm not going to be made feel bad by the likes of SPQRI for not going down there anymore.

As I've gotten older I've realised it's better to put my money in something far more beneficial to the City: like Festivals, local businesses and suppliers. I buy less stuff online and haven't gone and splurged in Dundrum or wherever in years. Just trying to do a bit that might actually matter. Just a shame most of my favourite places have closed down over the years. :(

You must have had free tickets then?

No, we all paid full price for tickets.

I have to say, for someone who is fighting a losing battle to be taken seriously, you really make an awful lot of assumptions about others.

Good luck to you so & I hope you enjoy it all!

Let me know how you are getting on during the dark days & long evenings of January & February!

You'll probably be looking forward to St. Patricks Day, another free festival!

I'm sure I will.

And I've plenty to look forward to next year and that includes January and February. Life is what you make of it.

Nothing worse than negative, miserable people who try to drag others down - makes my skin crawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

the whole idea of the festival is to get people from the region into the town and spend spend spend , this in turn will help the businesses pay the exorbitant rates on their businesses so one could imagine the council are running this for their own benefit as well as the shops...

either way it should be a good success as with any new festival there will be various points etc. to iron out as it goes along and hopefully it will be the start of better times ahead for the city going into 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

QUOTE]

a lot more than you do or ever will judging by the small minded, blinkered and negative mentality of your posts and yes I have volunteered for events in the past, some of the most rewarding experiences i have had. I just cant for the life of me understand why people want to bring other people down, reminds me of some old time character you would see in 'The Field'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Max Powers wrote: »
    . I just cant for the life of me understand why people want to bring other people down, reminds me of some old time character you would see in 'The Field'.

Now I dont know you at all, but thats a real naive statement. You do live in the same country as I do right? Ireland, is it? Home of the narrow minded begrudging negative sod! With almost any announcement in this country, be it political, commercial or even celebrity-related, you always have the sour puss Paddy/Peggy sitting on his or her barstool putting the world to rights and with an endless plethora of reasons as to why your idea wont work, its par for the course for living in Ireland, mate.

Now I dont know you at all, but thats a real naive statement. You do live in the same country as I do right? Ireland, is it? Home of the narrow minded begrudging negative sod! With almost any announcement in this country, be it political, commercial or even celebrity-related, you always have the sour puss Paddy/Peggy sitting on his or her barstool putting the world to rights and with an endless plethora of reasons as to why your idea wont work, its par for the course for living in Ireland, mate.

Doesn't make it OK though mate, people are working hard to boost Waterford's profile nationally and if people want to volunteer their time for it then that's up to them. The fact other people feel the need to knock that is depressing. In fact, knocking it casually to your mates in conversation is one thing, but actually registering for a discussion based site and posting negative comment after negative comment with a few bullshït ones thrown in between doesn't help anyone, and is sad, really sad.

Anyway, back on topic! :o

(Not a dig at you by the way Wanderer)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its an expensive operation to run. It wouldn't be possible to run unless people were willing to help out in their spare time for free. Simple.

I see no problem with people wanting to take time out of their lives and help some cause, group, event or business without seeking a wage. Its their own private and persona business if they wish to go out and help people and who are we to judge either way?

Max Powers wrote: »
    QUOTE]

a lot more than you do or ever will judging by the small minded, blinkered and negative mentality of your posts and yes I have volunteered for events in the past, some of the most rewarding experiences i have had. I just cant for the life of me understand why people want to bring other people down, reminds me of some old time character you would see in 'The Field'.

Volunteering doesn't pay the bills Max!

I just hope that all those who volunteer make social services aware that instead of looking for employment, thay are doing jack siht!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Maybe someday I will when there is something to be positive about in this town. Too many people & companies bleeting about hard times & the lack of investment or funding but investment starts at home.

You invest in the local populas through paying jobs which will obviously put more money in to the community. Companies & councils looking for free labour does absolutely nothing for anyone. It makes the economic situation even worse!

Why do you give out so much in a bad way about Waterford as a town when you harp on to people about not attending Waterford united games to me that is hypocritical as your supporting a soccer team who's hometown you seem to have a dislike for.

This thread is about a positive thing that is happening in the town it might just give a good feeling back to the town albeit just for a short period, all the bitching on the Waterford forum is getting ridiculous.

I just hope that all those who volunteer make social services aware that instead of looking for employment, thay are doing jack siht!
    Don't feed the troll tosser.

I am all for my home town but it's the parasites that live off it while contributing nothing to it! It's those who once upon a time preached about standing for something when all it was was a self political broadcast & sold it all down the river when the shillings looked more attractive like for example, J**** K****!

It those who purchased way above their means & the people they screwed in over charging are the one who they now expect to bail them out.

It's the politicans who in government for a few years, now retired are now on a quarter or a million index linked pension for the rest of their lives!

It's the houses that are owned by Waterford City Corporation that have been ordered by the European Union to bring up to date by installing double glazing windows for free while it will cost me up to €9,000 to have installed.

So in a nut shell people, you're paying for the lifestyle of others & you might not be aware of that but ye certainly need a waking up to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I am all for my home town but it's the parasites that live off it while contributing nothing to it! It's those who once upon a time preached about standing for something when all it was was a self political broadcast & sold it all down the river when the shillings looked more attractive like for example, J**** K****!

It those who purchased way above their means & the people they screwed in over charging are the one who they now expect to bail them out.

It's the politicans who in government for a few years, now retired are now on a quarter or a million index linked pension for the rest of their lives!

It's the houses that are owned by Waterford City Corporation that have been ordered by the European Union to bring up to date by installing double glazing windows for free while it will cost me up to €9,000 to have installed.

So in a nut shell people, you're paying for the lifestyle of others & you might not be aware of that but ye certainly need a waking up to it!

Nice Rant, whats it got to do with Winterval ???

jad2007 wrote: »
    Nice Rant, whats it got to do with Winterval ???

What it has to do with is the non-payment of people who 'should be grateful' for the privilage of 'volunteering' but are financially spent, who in January will be on a local governmental radio station complaining about the monies they now owe, due to 'supporting' the local economy & are who will be unable to repay.

It's the businesses who will reap the benefits of unpaid workers & don't tell me that none will benefit 'cause this town will be full of the shoppers come close to Christmas day!

Been a long time since I've seen a muppet of this proportion on boards.

Welcome to my Ignore List good sir.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Been a long time since I've seen a muppet of this proportion on boards.

Welcome to my Ignore List good sir.

And if you're like your location, your better off staying there!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

The Iceberg the Titanic hit has less of a chip on it than your shoulder SPQRI,

I was made redundant 2 years ago and through volunteering with a youth group I got offered a part time job.

Or on the other hand people can stay at home and go on boards and give out about THE MAN and The System.

Your initial post about volunteering was met with derision, and its obvious that you havent changed.

Goodnight I have to go to bed now cos i have to go to work in the morning.

I can understand anyone volunteering for a football club, a gymastics club, a scout group anything connected with the youth but this is absolutely ridiculous!

You obviously missed my previous post & I applaud you for it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right folks, this thread has been derailed long enough. Nobody wants to suppress a conversation or steer it away but this and a number of threads on the forum have gone completely off topic with posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

The question around Volunteerism is one well worthy of a debate, no doubt, and there are plenty of places on Boards.ie you can engage in this. But this isn't one of them and this certainly isn't what the conversation was intended to be about - even if there is a link between the two.

If you wish to engage further on the topic, or respond to points raised here from this point on-wards do so via PM between each other or in the appropriate forum. If you have a question in regards to moderation, send us a PM and we can discuss it.

So, from this post onwards - keep to the original topic at hand. Any questions / queries / thoughts on this post or the volunteering issue doesn't go on this thread.

Advertisement