Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Anybody know if theres gonna be those food stands there? I was at last years christmas market or maybe the year before and there was a German stand selling hotdogs and a few other traditional german bits of grub, anybody know they are gonna be there ? and what day does it start? Saturday is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Anybody know if theres gonna be those food stands there? I was at last years christmas market or maybe the year before and there was a German stand selling hotdogs and a few other traditional german bits of grub, anybody know they are gonna be there ? and what day does it start? Saturday is it?

I'd assume yes, I think there are a few little food stalls going up around, and Ardkeen Stores are doing a 'A Taste of Winterval' thing I think on Friday in Greyfriars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The Bowery Theatre will be showing The Santa Clause and It's a wonderful life for free every day and night. (Santa clause for the kids, Wonderful life for the adults.) Hot chocolate or mulled wine...free of charge. People are not grasping how amazing Winterval is for this city.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats The Bowery Theatre?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Whats The Bowery Theatre?

Well The Bowery/Reg is going to be turned into a bar/restaurant/club/theatre next year. They obviously have it done up a little bit now to facilitate this winterval event.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well The Bowery/Reg is going to be turned into a bar/restaurant/club/theatre next year. They obviously have it done up a little bit now to facilitate this winterval event.

Interesting. What type of theatre are the looking at for future events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The Bowery Theatre will be showing The Santa Clause and It's a wonderful life for free every day and night. (Santa clause for the kids, Wonderful life for the adults.) Hot chocolate or mulled wine...free of charge. People are not grasping how amazing Winterval is for this city.

I have to admit, I'm very impressed. Hopefully it'll pull in a few families that mightn't have otherwise attended.
    Was back home the other day and went into town for the first time in about a year, place was looking great.Real christmassy feel about and seems to be a lot popping up,like the carousel and ice rink think on the quay. Shame I'm an utter ****ing grinch when it comes christmas but if I was a kid again I'd be fairly excited to be heading in around the town.

I haven't a bulls notion.

I'm really looking forward to the illuminations on bishop's palace every night...and santa's slide looks a bit class.

The reason i'm so impressed is because it's such an optimistic idea...the kind of thing that is usually shot down so quickly. "Sure we couldn't do that". Someone obviously said YES WE CAN. And I'm proud of that so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I like that big slide thing on the Mall. Looks a bit dangerous to be a slide though, just for show perhaps?

I like that big slide thing on the Mall. Looks a bit dangerous to be a slide though, just for show perhaps?

How does it look dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I'm getting a little bit tired of people knocking Winterval (not slagging off anybody specifically on this thread, just a general air around the city). Ok - maybe its not going to be the amazing big German style christmas festival, or such like, but its our festival - theres loads going on for families, a lot of it is free (not all of it admittedly)... so why can't we for once look past all the begrudgery and enjoy somebody doing something positive in Waterford for a month. People are obviously working their butts off to make this happen, and I hazard a guess a lot of them are doing it for free... (and before somebody gets onto me - yes I imagine not ALL of them are doing it for free)... Jesus wept - if there was nothing going on people would moan, and now theres something happening they moan anyway - are we EVER happy in this city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

How does it look dangerous?

The sides are about 1ft tall, so any kid could just hop or fall out from the side, and it made of all wood. So I dont think is actually a slide, rather just something for show.

I always like christmas in Waterford. My favorite part is all the stalls and markets set up, I really love all the different food and sweets etc, just glad to see that there is more stalls about this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

The sides are about 1ft tall, so any kid could just hop or fall out from the side, and it made of all wood. So I dont think is actually a slide, rather just something for show.

I always like christmas in Waterford. My favorite part is all the stalls and markets set up, I really love all the different food and sweets etc, just glad to see that there is more stalls about this year.

Isn't that where the Helter Skeltor is being located?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The films are going to be shown in the back part that you get to from Bailey's New Street.

I was told that it's going to be general purpose so could be comedy gigs, small events, private etc. The plan for the whole place sounds great.

Can't wait for it all to kick off tomorrow. Got my final volunteer pack this evening and will be in the Toy Museum tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Are the food stalls up and running around town? Wouldn't mind a few cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Santa has landed

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

If anyone gets some nice pictures of the Santa on the long boat can you post them up. It would be nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Swinng wrote: »
    If anyone gets some nice pictures of the Santa on the long boat can you post them up. It would be nice to see.

530908_2624089779137_303929704_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Was hoping they'd have someone with a real beard for the Festival. Nothing worse than a tacky looking skinny santa with a fake beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ah for fcuk sake....this forum has just sunk to a new level of negativity.

Ah for fcuk sake....this forum has just sunk to a new level of negativity.

If you take a read through thread you will see that not many people have been as positive as I have been about winterval. I've been praising it on twitter all week too. But, from the start I was hoping that they would be able to find a realistic looking Santa and it would be the cherry on top of an amazing initiative.

So hop off your little ranting bandwagon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

well done to all for Winterval - just been to the hasbro toy Museum, seems i was spoilt as a child after all, Meccano, Lego, Operation, Transformers, Cludo. Seen the Light show on the Deanery in Cathedral - all i can say is WOW! its brilliant - better than i expected. queue for santa in city hall, queue for the Elf Train at Bishops Palace....the city is Buzzing - roll on the next 23 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

If you take a read through thread you will see that not many people have been as positive as I have been about winterval. I've been praising it on twitter all week too. But, from the start I was hoping that they would be able to find a realistic looking Santa and it would be the cherry on top of an amazing initiative.

So hop off your little ranting bandwagon there.
    Fair enough, and I get what you're saying about Santa, but c'mon like, it's just nit-picking over a such a small thing when there is so much good stuff happening with Winterval.

jennygirl wrote: »
    well done to all for Winterval - just been to the hasbro toy Museum, seems i was spoilt as a child after all, Meccano, Lego, Operation, Transformers, Cludo. Seen the Light show on the Deanery in Cathedral - all i can say is WOW! its brilliant - better than i expected. queue for santa in city hall, queue for the Elf Train at Bishops Palace....the city is Buzzing - roll on the next 23 days.

Where's the Hasbro Toy Museum? Reckon if I get down again before Xmas that'd be a must do for a bit of nostalgia.

Fair enough, and I get what you're saying about Santa, but c'mon like, it's just nit-picking over a such a small thing when there is so much good stuff happening with Winterval.

I don't think it is. I was at one of the meetings for Winterval and the organiser, the person whose idea this whole thing was, Colette Byrne, was adamant that this be done 100% properly. From a personal point of view, for me, that means a Santa that looks real. I understand that it would probably be hard to get but it was just something I was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Meatwad wrote: »
    Where's the Hasbro Toy Museum? Reckon if I get down again before Xmas that'd be a must do for a bit of nostalgia.

its in the large Room @ City Hall

jennygirl wrote: »
    its in the large Room @ City Hall

Cheers for that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Wow, I'm tired but had a great afternoon and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. The place was buzzing.

Advertisement