Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Great buzz around town, really great. Watched Santa land, headed up to all the stalls behind Bishop's Palace, bought a crepe, headed over to John Roberts Square, posted the kids Santa letters into the giant postbox, they had a go on the carousel. Browsed the shops, headed back to Bishop's Palace, saw more stalls! Then the kids went on the Helter Skelter, then we went over and had a look in the Crystal Showroom and then went down to the Three Shippes for a bit of grub. Great day, and spent more money in the city centre than I would have any other Friday. The kids were kept entertained all day too, and there is still loads more to come, great stuff! Yay positivity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

heres what to expect in cathedral sq.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFstU1Fxxk&feature=player_embedded#

town is really alive first time in ages....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jennygirl wrote: »
    well done to all for Winterval - just been to the hasbro toy Museum, seems i was spoilt as a child after all, Meccano, Lego, Operation, Transformers, Cludo. Seen the Light show on the Deanery in Cathedral - all i can say is WOW! its brilliant - better than i expected. queue for santa in city hall, queue for the Elf Train at Bishops Palace....the city is Buzzing - roll on the next 23 days.

If you were there between 16:30 and 18:30, I was one of the lads in the hi-vis vests!

Did a stint in the Toy Museum this evening. I really, really enjoyed it. The interactive stuff there went down a treat with all. Everyone was really well-behaved and respectful. Brilliant to see lots of people with big smiles on their faces. It was a lot busier than I had expected! And there were quite a few people from out of town, which is great to see.

Went up through Cathedral Square on my way to dinner then and it looked and smelled great with all the stalls. There was a real buzz about the town.

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far and cant wait for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If you were there between 16:30 and 18:30, I was one of the lads in the hi-vis vests!

Did a stint in the Toy Museum this evening. I really, really enjoyed it. The interactive stuff there went down a treat with all. Everyone was really well-behaved and respectful. Brilliant to see lots of people with big smiles on their faces. It was a lot busier than I had expected! And there were quite a few people from out of town, which is great to see.

Went up through Cathedral Square on my way to dinner then and it looked and smelled great with all the stalls. There was a real buzz about the town.

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far and cant wait for the next few weeks.
    What are the opening days/times for the toy museum?

Sounds like a good place to bring a child to pass an hour.

EDIT: http://www.winterval.ie/events/detail/winterval_toy_museum - For anyone interested

looder wrote: »
    What are the opening days/times for the toy museum?

Sounds like a good place to bring a child to pass an hour.

EDIT: http://www.winterval.ie/events/detail/winterval_toy_museum - For anyone interested

Yeah it says daily 11-6 but the volunteer sessions are only Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I wouldn't be too confident of it being open Monday-Wednesday.

It's definitely a great place to bring a child. There's plenty there for them to mess about with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 enabler

spent the evening in winterval with my 4 kids, light show was magical and kids really loved Santa movie with popcorn and hot chocolate in Bowery on baileys new st. I tasted a gluvine while the kids coloured pictures, cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Brought my 3 year old boy into town yesterday to see Santa roll up the river,thought the place was buzzing.Walked up town with him after that,saw the little train and walked among the stalls around Cathedral square and then over yonder to red square...it felt great and the city looked great-there was a great atmosphere around in my view.I think it's a fantastic idea and I hope it takes off and will be able to continue,so Waterford will be seen as the Christmas capital of Ireland.
    Just would have hoped that the organisers would have given a give-away prize to the The Late Late Toy Show last night-a prize was given out for a hotel in Westport-and i was thinking,it should have been us giving the prize,also it was a shame that there was no coverage at all about it on RTE last night,sorry for the rant,but if Winterval was occurring in Dublin,Cork,Galway,I'd reckon we'd know about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

niallo76 wrote: »
    Brought my 3 year old boy into town yesterday to see Santa roll up the river,thought the place was buzzing.Walked up town with him after that,saw the little train and walked among the stalls around Cathedral square and then over yonder to red square...it felt great and the city looked great-there was a great atmosphere around in my view.I think it's a fantastic idea and I hope it takes off and will be able to continue,so Waterford will be seen as the Christmas capital of Ireland.
    Just would have hoped that the organisers would have given a give-away prize to the The Late Late Toy Show last night-a prize was given out for a hotel in Westport-and i was thinking,it should have been us giving the prize,also it was a shame that there was no coverage at all about it on RTE last night,sorry for the rant,but if Winterval was occurring in Dublin,Cork,Galway,I'd reckon we'd know about it....

Someone told me they covered it on the 6 o clock news

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Wasnae on news at 9,and na'ar a mention of it on Toy Show,shame is all

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Just would have hoped that the organisers would have given a give-away prize to the The Late Late Toy Show last night-a prize was given out for a hotel in Westport-and i was thinking,it should have been us giving the prize,also it was a shame that there was no coverage at all about it on RTE last night,sorry for the rant,but if Winterval was occurring in Dublin,Cork,Galway,I'd reckon we'd know about it....[/QUOTE]

It was advertised on 2FM Hector show all week with free tickets, hotel plus travel etc for a family of four. Fantastic giveaway to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fair play to all those behind this. Delighted for our great City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

In future years they'll be able to have some TV coverage but the budget is stretched this year as you can imagine. The cost of TV advertising is shocking and the cost of providing a prize on the late late toy show is also through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

I'm sure it will attract big numbers from now til christmas as good news travels fast and it sure is good news. It was the most enjoyment that me and my family had in the city since the tall ships. I'll definitely be having a good few night down there before it ends and will recommend it to friends and family all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Great to see crowds around town today. City Square was very busy, as were a lot of the shops in the main centre, ie. Pennys, Boots etc., busy with long queues at the cash registers. Great to see some life in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Take a bow the organisers of winterval you have done us proud:) was in town last night place was buzzing, I have been to christmas markets in europe Waterford was way better.Also big well done to all the volunteers !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Unfortunately wont be down how for a couple of weeks :(
    Cant wait to see whats been done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Have just come across this thread searching for something else and I think it's great to see people making an effort to liven Waterford up a bit. As a regular volunteer at events in France, I know that there's no way they could be kept going and affordable without people (like me) being prepared to do a twelve-hour day's work for nothing more than a couple of free meals and place to pitch a tent.

The one thing that bugs me about this, though, is the fact that it's actually just another Advent Market. When I saw the name "Waterford Winterval" I thought someone had finally realised that January is the dreariest month of the year and done something about it. Alas, no - everything comes to an end on Dec 23, barely past mid-Winter's Day and not even lasting till Christmas Eve. Over in Central Europe, they pace themselves, and the party season only begins at New Year's Eve.

Next year, do something for January and I'd consider volunteering myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

What time does the markets close at this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ive been in on both nights so far and there is an amazing atmosphere in the area around Cathedral square. Its fantastic! The organisers deserve a lot of credit for the positivity they've kicked off. The light display is brilliant and the cabins all selling bits and pieces are lovely to browse in. We have to support this by getting behind it and visiting whats on offer. Its a million miles from the negative dreary Waterford that so many paint a picture of so lets not ever go back there eh? Anyone who thinks the place has nothing going for it should go to Cathedral square and pick up a foot long hot dog, some hot chocolate and have an oul hum of Jingle Bells to themselves. I'll be back tomorrow!

Have just come across this thread searching for something else and I think it's great to see people making an effort to liven Waterford up a bit. As a regular volunteer at events in France, I know that there's no way they could be kept going and affordable without people (like me) being prepared to do a twelve-hour day's work for nothing more than a couple of free meals and place to pitch a tent.

The one thing that bugs me about this, though, is the fact that it's actually just another Advent Market. When I saw the name "Waterford Winterval" I thought someone had finally realised that January is the dreariest month of the year and done something about it. Alas, no - everything comes to an end on Dec 23, barely past mid-Winter's Day and not even lasting till Christmas Eve. Over in Central Europe, they pace themselves, and the party season only begins at New Year's Eve.

Rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anybody got a decent pic / video to show people across the water just how good this is?

That actually is the plan. They decided to do the four weeks this year because it's only launching but they are planning to run things into January in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    Anybody got a decent pic / video to show people across the water just how good this is?

Not great but you get the idea!

231017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Short video of the light show from WLR's Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151109995421862

That actually is the plan. They decided to do the four weeks this year because it's only launching but they are planning to run things into January in the future.

The plan IS NOT to start on New Years. I know you mean that it will just carry on into January but in case anyone is reading this thinking that winterval will start on New Year's Eve next year lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Don't know how well these will look, as I'm on my phone, but you'll get the gist I'm sure! :)

The plan IS NOT to start on New Years. I know you mean that it will just carry on into January but in case anyone is reading this thinking that winterval will start on New Year's Eve next year lol

Yeah that's not what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I have to agree with the positivity people are generally showing... we went in today with the two kids for a wander - had tickets for the Train and for Santa, and I have to say neither disappointed - the entrance into Santa is magical... the queues are long, and be prepared to wait, but theres so so much to see on the way in, and the setting in the undercroft is amazing... the most atmospheric Santa I was ever at for sure! The buzz around that area of the Mall is brilliant - can only imagine what it will be like this time next week when the Panto kicks off in the Theatre and there'll be another 500 people a day around there - brilliant! Well done Waterford - this is incredible for morale and for the city!

Yeah that's not what I said.

Take a look at the part that you put in bold and see where the confusion could be found.

• Advertisement

Take a look at the part that you put in bold and see where the confusion could be found.

Not if you read the whole quote which I'd hope the general Boards population would be able to do. And I didn't put anything in bold.

Either way, I'm not going to go back and forth on this. The plan is for Winterval to last longer in the future.

Advertisement