Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Whatever the plans for the future, hats off to everyone involved for what's there now. I was in around yesterday afternoon with the family and we were all blown away with the quality of everything on show. Absolutely magical for kids (and big kids!)

I must also commend the pricing - found everything we encountered to be very reasonable. Serious kudos to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Take a look at the part that you put in bold and see where the confusion could be found.

It was me that used the bold. There's no confusion in Nkay's answer - plan for next year: Advent Market will continue into January as post-Christmas party/festive season. Same as in continental Europe.

What part of my comment were you saying was rubbish? Tell you what, don't bother. I've been involved in this stuff for twenty years, I know what I'm talking about.

@Nkay - PM me if you/the organisers want to accept an extra volunteer for January 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Not being around the town yet, where's that Santas slide on the picture? Are all the main markets in cathedral square including light show then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

decies wrote: »
    Not being around the town yet, where's that Santas slide on the picture? Are all the main markets in cathedral square including light show then ?

The slide is on the left-hand side of Bishop's Palace if you're looking from The Mall.

There are markets on both sides of Christ Church Cathedral and down onto Bailey's New Street but also over on Peter Street, Arundal Square, George's Street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

went in for a look yesterday afternoon and had a great time wandering around trying a few different foods. haven't made it into the town during the evening yet but plan on doing so next weekend with the wee ones. don't normally go into waterford usually but will be making regular weekend trips while the festival is on.

well done to all that organized it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

brought the kids in today and it was wonderful i have to say

the slide however i thought was a bit much, i have 3 children and it was 6 euro for them to slide down the slide once, so 6 euro and it was over in 20 seconds..in saying that they though it was the best thing ever:)

the museum tour was free also today, they had great fun in the Toy Museum, i really enjoyed it and all the stalls looked fantastic and all the food on offer was great also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Anybody involved in volunteering think it would be possible to volunteer while working full-time? Just wondering what is required of the volunteers?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Great to see winterval getting covered on the news. It might attract more visitors.

Anybody involved in volunteering think it would be possible to volunteer while working full-time? Just wondering what is required of the volunteers?

I work full-time. I've worked over 60 hours this week but managed to get in a volunteering slot in the Toy Museum on Friday. They asked for 3 hours from people and anything after that was up to you. There are volunteer times from 10:30 to 22:00 so lots of opportunity to fit in around work.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Great to see winterval getting covered on the news. It might attract more visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hmm, I dunno. I was down for the weekend with the kids visiting family and I wasn't too impressed. I suppose it depends on what you expect from a 'Festival'. If you want to see garden shed after garden shed of flogging stuff to you then it's great.
    I thought there would be some entertainment like in those famous Christmas festivals in Germany etc.
    Now perhaps there is free entertainment and if there is then I'll acknowledge it but yesterday's walk felt like it could have been any farmers market in any town in Ireland selling the usual tat..with bells on of course:rolleyes:

But listen, as I said, I was there at around 2pm Saturday so maybe things hadn't kicked off so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
    I have to say though, Cathedral Square is a perfect location for it, really nice part of the city to walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SusieP

hmm, I dunno. I was down for the weekend with the kids visiting family and I wasn't too impressed. I suppose it depends on what you expect from a 'Festival'. If you want to see garden shed after garden shed of flogging stuff to you then it's great.
    I thought there would be some entertainment like in those famous Christmas festivals in Germany etc.
    Now perhaps there is free entertainment and if there is then I'll acknowledge it but yesterday's walk felt like it could have been any farmers market in any town in Ireland selling the usual tat..with bells on of course:rolleyes:

But listen, as I said, I was there at around 2pm Saturday so maybe things hadn't kicked off so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
    I have to say though, Cathedral Square is a perfect location for it, really nice part of the city to walk around.

It seems you didn't come across all of the things to do... There is a free toy museum, Viking village, lights show, indoor movies, polish Christmas area and lots more! Saturday afternoon there was also music in red square as all the Santa letters were collected from the big post box! Then if you want to spend money theres santa, the train, the slide etc!! Looks like you'll have to come back for more next weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

SusieP wrote: »
    It seems you didn't come across all of the things to do... There is a free toy museum, Viking village, lights show, indoor movies, polish Christmas area and lots more! Saturday afternoon there was also music in red square as all the Santa letters were collected from the big post box! Then if you want to spend money theres santa, the train, the slide etc!! Looks like you'll have to come back for more next weekend! :)

looks like I will definitely have to come back:)
    Seriously though, were all these things available at the time I was there ( I presume light show goes on in the evening)? There were very little signs/guides...or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
    And of all the stuff you listed, how many were free?
    The kids got to go on the galloping horses so they were happy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SusieP

looks like I will definitely have to come back:)
    Seriously though, were all these things available at the time I was there ( I presume light show goes on in the evening)? There were very little signs/guides...or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
    And of all the stuff you listed, how many were free?
    The kids got to go on the galloping horses so they were happy anyway.

Yeah I was there Saturday afternoon myself! The first light show is at 5! Find a volunteer in a high vis jacket.... They have maps! Or check it out online and plan what you're going to do!!
    The animal farm, toy museum, Viking village, movies, letter collection and light show are all free. So is the polish place I think but you might have to pay for the gingerbread making... Not sure on that one! The train, slide, merry go rounds and Santa all have charges but in fairness Santa gives hasbro toys to the kids and the grotto is amazing so it's worth it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

To all those who might not be impressed with the size of Winterval, it's important to remember this is its first year. I spent last Saturday at Winter Wonderland in London and it's now massive, taking up quite a bit of Hyde Park. However I saw a few pictures of the festival maps from previous years and it's amazing how much it has actually grown from quite small beginnings.

I would imagine the same will be true for Winterval. Ireland is crying out for a proper Christmas Market like Winter Wonderland. Dublin only got one a couple of years ago I believe so there's definitely an opportunity for Winterval's organisers to get in there.

As it gets bigger and more people attend you will see more and more attractions show up.

It's a shame as I only get home to Waterford on the evening of the 22nd, and won't be around on the 23rd, so won't see much of Winterval. But I think it's great that it exists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Hear,Hear Jonnyfingers-
    I think it is wonderful and fingers crossed it will be very successful.
    And that Waterford becomes established and gets the reputation as hosting the finest Christmas market in Ireland as akin to the Cologne or Dresden etc. markets ,which have been around in some cases for hundreds of years.Christ,we could do with it-Imagine the knock on effects of it..employment,re-opening of airport routes,life back in the city-
    well done to all involved

http://www.travelintelligence.com/travel-writing/europe-s-top-10-christmas-markets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I dunno how you couldn't be impressed with it tbh. Saw a couple of muppets on their Facebook page saying it was disappointing. These people need to be slapped.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dunno how you couldn't be impressed with it tbh. Saw a couple of muppets on their Facebook page saying it was disappointing. These people need to be slapped.

Some people will give out regardless. I think its a wonderful idea, small or big, can will help to give a boost to a City on its knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »

Some people will give out regardless. I think its a wonderful idea, small or big, can will help to give a boost to a City on its knees.
    But can we slap them anyway?I got devoured by Some crazywan in there last night who proceeded to lecture me that WCC are doing nothing for the City and the poor man with the garden sheds in Tramore, apparently she sells goods in the market in Ardkeen but on asking why she had not a stall here she told me she is selling in Killkenny.
    I have absolutely nothing to do with Winterval but This lady went out of her way to testiculate about something she knew fa about.
    People are thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

One great thing that Winterval has done is road tested Cathedral Square as a public amenity. It has a distinct 'old town' feel to it and I really hope the potential is noticed. Could the little cabins be viable on a permanent basis with the business within rotating or changing every so often? With some creativity I think that once derelict end of the city could become a place of great atmosphere permanently!

Winterval is also showing that if you give people from the outskirts of the city and region who have €20 in their pocket a reason to come to the city centre, they will come and happily spend their money.

I really see Winterval as a spark to ignite a lot of great potential here!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That was the object of the exercise - there are serious plans for Cathedral Square and the idea is to get people to go over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Can't wait to come down to Waterford this weekend and see it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

I was in around the Festival on Saturday and was impressed. I was in around the stalls in Cathedral Square and the area is perfect for it. A bit of snow and the image will be complete :D

Opening up Reginalds Tower and the Toy Museum are good ideas and I liked the set of of the Bowery serving hot chocolate and showing Christmas films, a nice 'pit stop'.

If I was to make a suggestion (not criticism):
    - Maybe have a couple of signs around the John Roberts square area directing people to the Markets. As a 'local' I had to think what way was the best to go to Cathedral Square, so it may be a help to the 'out of towners'.

The 'youthful' stall holders in Baileys New Street were the only negative experience I had. I thought it may have been a once off but I have heard of others who experienced being basically accosted to buy something. All the other stalls were very relaxed. I'd be interested to hear if others had similar experiences.

All in all a great first effort and well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Well done to EVERYONE involved in WINTERVAL! It's absolutely fantastic & a great example of what Waterford can do when we put out minds to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Anyone know the opening times for the carousel? :)

Nkay1985 got a nice mention in the News & Star this week.

Nkay1985 got a nice mention in the News & Star this week.

Did I? What was that under? Any chance of a picture or something?

C42F2811-9494-46FD-AA08-BF8EC671DF58-7802-000003B352D3719E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Did I? What was that under? Any chance of a picture or something?

Hope they paid you for use of your post? ;)

:pac::pac:

Advertisement