Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hope they paid you for use of your post? ;)

:pac::pac:

I'm rolling in it!

Thanks for that Dicky. That's nice of them, in fairness. Looking forward to getting back in there and doing more over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Did they pay you a few weeks ago when they used yours? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Benimar wrote: »
    The 'youthful' stall holders in Baileys New Street were the only negative experience I had. I thought it may have been a once off but I have heard of others who experienced being basically accosted to buy something. All the other stalls were very relaxed. I'd be interested to hear if others had similar experiences.

They were transition year students, and yes, a bit of a pain, but you had to admire their enthusiasm! And in fairness they were just kids doing their best to follow through on a school project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Did they pay you a few weeks ago when they used yours? ;)

I don't know what you guys are winking at, I got a big fat cheque in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

The 'youthful' stall holders in Baileys New Street were the only negative experience I had. I thought it may have been a once off but I have heard of others who experienced being basically accosted to buy something. All the other stalls were very relaxed. I'd be interested to hear if others had similar experiences.

All in all a great first effort and well done to all involved.
    looksee wrote: »
    They were transition year students, and yes, a bit of a pain, but you had to admire their enthusiasm! And in fairness they were just kids doing their best to follow through on a school project.

Are you referring to the transition year girls, Benimar? Care to give us any more details after you make an accusation that they "accosted" you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Are you referring to the transition year girls, Benimar? Care to give us any more details after you make an accusation that they "accosted" you?

No, these were lads. Maybe accosted isn't the right word I suppose, it was more a case of them not taking a polite no for an answer.

Basically, as soon as they saw us they ran (well, walked at pace!) straight up to us. Tried to stop us passing (admittedly not aggressively) until we went into their cabin. No matter how many times we said we were just looking, it was 'do you want to buy one of these' or 'how about one of these'

Got past the 1st cabin and the lads at the 2nd one were straight up to us, same procedure.

I do want to make it clear though that it was just maybe 3 or 4 cabins together, all other cabins were very relaxed. Also, it certainly didn't give me a negative view of the overall festival, and it wasn't my intention to make it look as if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

Winterval gets back on tracks tomorrow, and one of the highlights of the day will be the visit of St. Nicholas in A Polish Christmas place.
    There'll be small gifts for all nice children of all ages :)
    And as usual you'll have a chance to taste some Polish traditional food and take part in the gingerbread man workshops.
    All welcome :)

fudark wrote: »
    Winterval gets back on tracks tomorrow, and one of the highlights of the day will be the visit of St. Nicholas in A Polish Christmas place.
    There'll be small gifts for all nice children of all ages :)
    And as usual you'll have a chance to taste some Polish traditional food and take part in the gingerbread man workshops.
    All welcome :)

Just out of curiosity, at which point did it go off the tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

OK, it did not get off, it was just a bit quieter a bit with some attractions open only Thur-Sun.

Ah right. Was just wondering :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to Newstlak this morning and winter fairs/Christmas markets was briefly discussed
    needless to say everywhere except Waterford was name checked.

No, these were lads. Maybe accosted isn't the right word I suppose, it was more a case of them not taking a polite no for an answer.

Basically, as soon as they saw us they ran (well, walked at pace!) straight up to us. Tried to stop us passing (admittedly not aggressively) until we went into their cabin. No matter how many times we said we were just looking, it was 'do you want to buy one of these' or 'how about one of these'

Got past the 1st cabin and the lads at the 2nd one were straight up to us, same procedure.

I do want to make it clear though that it was just maybe 3 or 4 cabins together, all other cabins were very relaxed. Also, it certainly didn't give me a negative view of the overall festival, and it wasn't my intention to make it look as if it did.

Totally agree with this, it would be advantageous if they were taught a bit about approaching people - I walked past without even looking at what they were selling, they were so 'in your face'.

As an ex teacher I do a good line in 'quelling' so they didn't make much of it, but they were a bit of a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Anyone know what school those kids are from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

looksee wrote: »

As an ex teacher I do a good line in 'quelling' .

I think that is both hilarious and chilling in the same thought.

Lol, it was a joke...well partially a joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Have any of you been in ice skating?
    I must take the kids in as we missed it last year, any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Bit slippery but that's expected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Had a quick look and bought local christmas presents in Waterford this morning, thought town was a little bit too quiet for december to be honest, had a look at craft fair in garter lane, arkeen food fair, stalls around christchurch , probably too early in the day and kids in school will have to have another look in next week or so when it is busy. Think the sheds look well to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Planning on going on the Carousel Thursday and ice skating and on the train next week. I must say I'm liking this Winterval thing, town is so much more cheery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Town was mobbed today, couldn't believe it. I was in at midday yesterday and it was like any other Saturday, went in today thinking it would be quiet and could barely move in places! Great to see though, I'd say a good few shops saw a nice upturn in sales today. :)

• Advertisement

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Town was mobbed today, couldn't believe it. I was in at midday yesterday and it was like any other Saturday, went in today thinking it would be quiet and could barely move in places! Great to see though, I'd say a good few shops saw a nice upturn in sales today. :)

Yep it was absolutely hopping. Heard that the shops are getting great spinoff from it alright. All hotels were basically fully booked this weekend too. Brilliant to see.

Was volunteering from 14:00 to 19:30 today. It was a long day but it's great to see people going around with smiles on their faces. The crowds really picked up about 15:00 today. We had to stop people entering Cathedral Square for the 17:00 light show as there were so many people there for it. The next two shows were almost as busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

I ran across to see the light show at 8 pm , great job, there were only a few of us there , didn't think much of that hot dog to be honest lol.

decies wrote: »
    I ran across to see the light show at 8 pm , great job, there were only a few of us there , didn't think much of that hot dog to be honest lol.

Yeah I've heard that the one over in Arundel Square is a lot nicer than the one in Cathedral Square.

You'll just have to force yourself to sample the other one now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Delicious cheesecake stall, hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I was there yesterday for a few hours and it was great to see the place so packed, the festival has really packed them in from all over, and the benefits this brings local shops can only be a good thing. The stalls in around Christchurch are very tempting too and it was great to get a lovely ham blaa on sunday evening 5pm, thanks to Jack Molloy! Not to forget the impressive light show which features regularly with glowing Xmas figures and songs, very well presented.

I would urge anyone who can to take a stroll around and support the stalls, shops etc and soak up the atmosphere of a great festival, bring your coat though its freezing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Was in around the city yesterday myself, and must say that it looked great. Good to see lots of shoppers around and the shops were busy.

Also good to see that someone has moved into the old Eircom store beside Footlocker - Jean Depot. Never understood why this prime location has remained empty for so long. Although I wonder how long it'll last there after Christmas. Maybe only a quick fix.

Pity the barbers beside vodaphone wasn't occupied, although i did see a bit more of a clean-up going on in there when I passed yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Was in around the city yesterday myself, and must say that it looked great. Good to see lots of shoppers around and the shops were busy.

Also good to see that someone has moved into the old Eircom store beside Footlocker - Jean Depot. Never understood why this prime location has remained empty for so long. Although I wonder how long it'll last there after Christmas. Maybe only a quick fix.

Pity the barbers beside vodaphone wasn't occupied, although i did see a bit more of a clean-up going on in there when I passed yesterday.

There was a long term legal issue with a previous tenant and a court case with it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

iseegirls wrote: »

Wow, I didnt even notice that! Im so used to that place being an empty shell that I probably didnt even look in that direction, will have to check that out this weekend. I agree it was a waste of space, now if only they could do something (supermarket, pub, store) to the old Besco in Ballybricken we would be away with it, complete waste of space and a real shame the owners werent up to date on their insurance, a small fire shouldnt have spelt the end, it was a very handy store. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Filling that old Eircom /3 building would be such a boost to the city centre, any progess on The Olde Stand?

Anyone know where CARE pharmacy will go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Winterval on Pat Kennys radio show right now.

Advertisement