Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Winterval' Festival

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Podcast should be shortly available on:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

Some good piece to have Waterford promoted!

Direct link to the podcast:
    http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2012/1212/20121212_rteradio1-patkenny-wintervali_c20125684_20125690_232_.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Have any of you been in ice skating?
    I must take the kids in as we missed it last year, any reports?

I went last year and what threw me off going again is when I went first went, there was these kids who were going wayyy too fast around the rink. The wardens weren't doing anything about it was nearly intimidating at the speed they were going at.

Another, are these group of girls who are all linked together (about 5-6 of them). I would hope that the wardens are a bit more strict this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Just to warn anybody going down to Winterval at night to see light show and stalls , they seem to close a lot of those cabins around 7.30, and it seems to be dead except for cathedral square at night time , well it was last night. Retail expert on rte radio this morning , many Waterford retailers up 30% due to festival .

Hot dogs & crepes+gluhwine on Cathedral Square were still open at 9 pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

I meant non food items.

• Advertisement

These two were only open.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Another great weekend of Winterval. Well done folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've brought the kids in again, today was quiter but we loved the petting zoo and the Polich Christmas. Reginalds tower free entry is brilliant too.

I wish it was extended until the 10 of Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

were down the weekend was very good i taught stuffed on hot dogs crepes and hot chocolate, we were a bit late for the light show are were not let in as the street was full so we along with loads more tried to watch from the back didnt see much im afraid be great if they got a better location for it if its on again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is this planned again for next year though? Its a big operation that took a few years as far as I know to plan out so its hard to see it just taking up again next year but Im not sure about that. Be great for business if it did.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is this planned again for next year though? Its a big operation that took a few years as far as I know to plan out so its hard to see it just taking up again next year but Im not sure about that. Be great for business if it did.:)

Yes. And the hope is for it to run through into Jan next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yes. And the hope is for it to run through into Jan next year.

Excellent, all great news for the shops and of course our reputation here in Waterford. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Hopefully it's something that, in 30 years time, I can say to the grandkids "I was at the very first Winterval... and it wasn't even half the size it is today!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

DaveJac wrote: »
    were down the weekend was very good i taught stuffed on hot dogs crepes and hot chocolate, we were a bit late for the light show are were not let in as the street was full so we along with loads more tried to watch from the back didnt see much im afraid be great if they got a better location for it if its on again next year

The location for the light show can hold between 800 and 1,000 people. It's only ever really the 17:00 show that's full to the point of people being denied entry. It's then shown again and 17:30, 18:00, 18:30, 19:00, 20:00, 21:00 and 22:00. So I think people are given a lot of opportunities to see it in fairness. The ones after 18:00 are usually pretty quiet and you can choose your spot and get a great view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

I was back in Waterford for a few days after moving from the town a few months back. Seriously impressed by Winterval which is leaps and bounds ahead of Galway's Christmas market. I think it's great to see some of the town being used to its potential. I hadn't witnessed an atmosphere like that in the place for far too long. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's going to be on Nationwide on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see Winterval fell foul to a piece of scumbaggery, a shed broken into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

mike65 wrote: »
    I see Winterval fell foul to a piece of scumbaggery, a shed broken into.
    yes a local hurley maker had all his stock swiped...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Just wondering i was trying to book a visit for my son at Santas grotto tomorrow but seems to be booked out at the times i will be in town.Can you just walk in and wait or does it have to be booked in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Just wondering i was trying to book a visit for my son at Santas grotto tomorrow but seems to be booked out at the times i will be in town.Can you just walk in and wait or does it have to be booked in advance?

Has to be booked in advance as far as I know. I had to book anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Winterval and Waterford looking fantastic on Nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Winterval and Waterford looking fantastic on Nationwide
    winterval festival will surely better the tallships....
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10097359/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭nhg

What time does Winterval run until tomorrow, planning to take a trip down to see it.

Is there anything special planned for the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

nhg wrote: »
    What time does Winterval run until tomorrow, planning to take a trip down to see it.

Is there anything special planned for the finale.

last showing of the light show is 9pm,
    I presume the bowery will remain open "till late" as always and the market usual time.

not aware of any special finale

it really is worth a visit, lots to see and experience, brilliant atmosphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Credit to the organisers of Winterval, they've done a hell of a job. Best Christmas atmosphere in Waterford in donkeys years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A popular part of the Waterford Christmas Festival :
    CopyofDSCN5700_zps321b28b8.jpg

Advertisement