Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westlife Concert

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

i came on here this morning to see if there was a westlife thread but no so I had to start this.

went to westlife last night with a couple of girlfriends and it was the most depressing concert i was ever at. it started with jedward for an hour and they were really good-then the wanted who were ok too. then we got images of the boys on screens talking about the end of westlife before they came out-ok thats ok - then they came out singing obviously very emotional.- then they did another set of other peoples songs - balckeyed peas and queen and other various artists-sang another couple of songs and then got up on the stage one by one thanking everyone from their granny to their dog after cian came nicky and i just had to leave then. i rang my other friends who were on the pitch and they said they left when the four boys were on the stage having a group hug.

now dont get me wrong here when they sang they were excellent and i have been to some of their other concerts and they are brillant. but a farewell concert should have celebrated their songs and should have been a party - it was depression on legs - thank god they are not on again as I would not cross the road to see them. out of the whole hour and a half they were on stage there was an awful lot of time filling. not good enough since we paid 120 a ticket. if there was somehwere i could have asked for my money back i would.

it will be interesting to see if anyone else was there
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

What did you expect, its Westlife, they are middle of the road, music by numbers, sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

i went on friday, thought they were brilliant but i do agree, alot of time filling with videos & stuff when they were meant to be on stage! They done the group hug thing on friday too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Westlife & jedward...............cheeses christ and your wondering why your depressed ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for your review OP but AH isn't a music discussion forum.
    I've moved your thread to the music discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I call them Pestlife... end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

got to hand it to them though,they've made millions from pedalling that sh1te for years

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I know they are cheesy and stuff and i love their songs - nothing like swaying away to a west life song - but this was just unbelievable - whinging "ohhhhhhh we are going to miss each other - they are my best friends - thank you mam and dad I know you are watching me from heaven - oh i got married i love you - i love my son - ohhhhhh i love the fans - that was only from cian egan - there were 3 more of them - they should have thanked the fans by putting on a good show and stop the whinging.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rant over i feel much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I didn't go, but I'll give my two cents on Westlife as a piece of constructive criticism.

They should have split up in 2001.

IMO they were only relevant for the first three albums, when they were young and had young female fans. Their music is largely aimed toward that market and it is for this reason they never attracted any new fans when the mostly teenage girl population grew older.

After that they were only in it for the money, milking out as much cash as they could up until they were sick of each other's company and wanted to go solo. For proof all you need to do is see that their 11 studio albums are flooded with ballads and little else.

Listen to their albums and notice how there is no progression, unlike (the vastly superior) Take That who went from an 80s disco-orientated group (Could It Be Magic, Satisfied) to balladeers (Back For Good) to upbeat pop anthems (Shine), delay pedal U2-type anthems (Greatest Day) to electro-pop (Love Love, Underground Machine).

Like Take That, they should;

a) have quit when they were at the top
    b) learn some instruments and play some live
    c) write their own songs
    d) bring back their fifth member if they ever do reform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

karaokeman wrote: »
    I didn't go, but I'll give my two cents on Westlife as a piece of constructive criticism.

They should have split up in 2001.

IMO they were only relevant for the first three albums, when they were young and had young female fans. Their music is largely aimed toward that market and it is for this reason they never attracted any new fans when the mostly teenage girl population grew older.

After that they were only in it for the money, milking out as much cash as they could up until they were sick of each other's company and wanted to go solo. For proof all you need to do is see that their 11 studio albums are flooded with ballads and little else.

Listen to their albums and notice how there is no progression, unlike (the vastly superior) Take That who went from an 80s disco-orientated group (Could It Be Magic, Satisfied) to balladeers (Back For Good) to upbeat pop anthems (Shine), delay pedal U2-type anthems (Greatest Day) to electro-pop (Love Love, Underground Machine).

Like Take That, they should;

a) have quit when they were at the top
    b) learn some instruments and play some live
    c) write their own songs
    d) bring back their fifth member if they ever do reform

Agree with most of that besides the fifth member thing with regards to Take That.

Take That were huge without Robbie when they reformed but he's obviously added to the party with the new musical direction they took on Progress which is simply a fantastic album and has taking them to a whole new level.

But Westlife definitely need Bryan back if they reform cause he was the only one with any talent in that band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Agree with most of that besides the fifth member thing with regards to Take That.

Take That were huge without Robbie when they reformed but he's obviously added to the party with the new musical direction they took on Progress which is simply a fantastic album and has taking them to a whole new level.

But Westlife definitely need Bryan back if they reform cause he was the only one with any talent in that band.

Ha.
    I remember the time time that guy left the group, went solo and started wearing Nirvana tees and playing Whelans in order to get some credibility.
    Then ended up writing the lyrics "Then I lift up my finger and watch FOOTBALL ON TV". :rolleyes:

None of them have/had talent. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ha.
    I remember the time time that guy left the group, went solo and started wearing Nirvana tees and playing Whelans in order to get some credibility.
    Then ended up writing the lyrics "Then I lift up my finger and watch FOOTBALL ON TV". :rolleyes:

None of them have/had talent. Good riddance.

Is there any songwriter you couldn't take one of their lyrics out of context and it will sound bad?

This game is old, and seen as how you mentioned Nirvana, I'll quote Kurt Cobain and show that while critics agree he's a gifted lyricist, you can (like Bryan) take random lyrics in isolation to sound crap.

"I do... with an ear to lend,
    I do... think you fit this shoe,
    I do... won't you have a clue"

Bryan may have not been a musical genius, but he certainly had more talent in him than the remainder of the group, and while his music may not be liked by the masses, at least Bryan can say the songs are his own and they weren't written by people he paid to work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnny1990

Hi can anyone tell me where I could get one of those tee shirts Westlife was wearing during the mashup they were doing during the concert in croke park. It was a white tee shirt with little people and toys on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

karaokeman wrote: »

After that they were only in it for the money, milking out as much cash as they could up until they were sick of each other's company and wanted to go solo.

To be honest, I think they were always in it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 teflonchest

maryk123 wrote: »
    i came on here this morning to see if there was a westlife thread but no so I had to start this.

went to westlife last night with a couple of girlfriends and it was the most depressing concert i was ever at. it started with jedward for an hour and they were really good-then the wanted who were ok too. then we got images of the boys on screens talking about the end of westlife before they came out-ok thats ok - then they came out singing obviously very emotional.- then they did another set of other peoples songs - balckeyed peas and queen and other various artists-sang another couple of songs and then got up on the stage one by one thanking everyone from their granny to their dog after cian came nicky and i just had to leave then. i rang my other friends who were on the pitch and they said they left when the four boys were on the stage having a group hug.

now dont get me wrong here when they sang they were excellent and i have been to some of their other concerts and they are brillant. but a farewell concert should have celebrated their songs and should have been a party - it was depression on legs - thank god they are not on again as I would not cross the road to see them. out of the whole hour and a half they were on stage there was an awful lot of time filling. not good enough since we paid 120 a ticket. if there was somehwere i could have asked for my money back i would.

it will be interesting to see if anyone else was there

Lucky Man!!!

I would never miss a concert by Westlife.... They were my favorite band as a teenager.

Advertisement