Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking run

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Started training for my first marathon.Normally use endomondo for my runs seems grand. But im heading off to Malaysia for two months in the summer so I need to keep the training up. Can't afford to use endomondo on iPhone as internet bill will be massive then. Are there any alternatives for tracking my runs? Don't really want to spend money on a garmin. I bought a reebok pedometer but not sure how accurate that is going to be. Always seems a little off. Is the nike plus an option? Does it need Internet? Any suggestions? Really addicted to tracking my runs/ training!!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Tony,

using Endomondo abroad should not affect your internet usage. The tracking is done by GPS and the maps should be installed on the app already along with the functionality.

The only time is should use internet is when it is uploading a track to your online page.

Best thing to do to check this out right now is to turn your phone to airplane mode (Or switch off mobile internet) and go outside and see if it will work. I think it should as I used it in Spain and it didnt use my internet as far as I can remember (Two years ago)

But check it out while you are still in Ireland and see if it work using the steps above

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Tony,

using Endomondo abroad should not affect your internet usage. The tracking is done by GPS and the maps should be installed on the app already along with the functionality.

The only time is should use internet is when it is uploading a track to your online page.

Best thing to do to check this out right now is to turn your phone to airplane mode (Or switch off mobile internet) and go outside and see if it will work. I think it should as I used it in Spain and it didnt use my internet as far as I can remember (Two years ago)

But check it out while you are still in Ireland and see if it work using the steps above

I really think putting it in airplane mode will switch off GPS as well.

Anyhow, I used my iPhone abroad last week with Nike+ app and it worked fine no problem as it uses GPS to track your position not internet. When running you may not see map but your position is all recorded so no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

On the strava running app it says something about being able to knock it to airplane mode once a GPS signal was established, BUT if the GPS signal is dropped, it won't reconnect.

So, Strava may be worth a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

Thanks. Going to treat myself to a garmin. It'll be better than a running app anyway- I hoPe?!

Ok the "runkeeper" app does not use mobile internet - you need only gps so that will work fine

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/bodyandsole/2012/06/06/tested-apps-to-get-you-moving/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Ok the "runkeeper" app does not use mobile internet - you need only gps so that will work fine

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/bodyandsole/2012/06/06/tested-apps-to-get-you-moving/

So if I switch my iphone to airplane mode while abroad I should still be able to use it?

Im not sure what the story is with the iphone, I know with HTC I can switch to airplane mode but leave GPS on. On the iphone there must be a setting where you can switch off mobile Internet, thats all you need to do to ensure you don't incur charges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Settings > Network > Data Roaming (Off by default)

Advertisement