Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo 1.9d any good?

• 24-06-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I am looking for a cheap, decent, low maintenance reliable diesel car. I know of a nice looking s40 1.9d 2004 model nearby and I wonder if it fits the bill?
    I drive 20,000 + miles per year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

May be open to correction here, but weren't Volvo still using the VW tdi engines at this time? I know the slightly older ones certainly did. In which case its as reliable and costly to run as a Passat or A4. A good one will run forever, but if it's not been minded then parts are pricey enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those are Renault engines I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I'm thinking now you may be right Colm, the V70 my neighbour had used the 2.5 tdi engine. Although the PSA engines are 2.0... Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭derryvella

Yeah I thought they were renault engines too. Are the Renault engines reliable/easy to work on?
    What kind of mpg could I expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Derryvella,

I've owned a 03 1.9d S40 since 2008 and it's a rock solid vehicle. Although it's a renault engine Volvo reinforced them to their own specifications.

The only issue i've had has been the EGR valve, but that's a common problem and easily replaced.

Try to get the 115HP sports version. It's 50+ MPG standard (possibly 55MPG).
    With a performance remap it's still a good 40-46MPG. And once that turbo kicks in... :)

They're good for 250K+ miles. Just make sure you get one that's been well maintained.

As for servicing, there's not much that needs to be done:
    - Oil
    - Oil filter
    - Air filter
    - Fuel filter
    - Cabin Pollen Filter

Hope it goes well.
    BTW, mine is for sale as well. (Upgraded the wife's car last week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That engine was Renault sourced. Pre 2001 versions had 100bhp, 2001 onward versions were common rail and had 115bhp.

so the consensus is their a a good car?
    Wanderez how much you looking for? What condition is your S40 in?;)

Have I any watch outs when viewing one?

I would be trading 2002 mondeo tddi with 200,000 miles on clock, what should i expect to get in trade in?

derryvella wrote: »
    so the consensus is their a a good car?
    Wanderez how much you looking for? What condition is your S40 in?;)

Have I any watch outs when viewing one?

I would be trading 2002 mondeo tddi with 200,000 miles on clock, what should i expect to get in trade in?

Admittedly i may be biased here considering i am selling one myself!
    However i have recommended the 1.9d to others and indeed to others on here in the past.

Regarding stuff to watch out for, All i can say is check the usual as with any other vehicle as i haven't had any problems really.

Timing belt needs doing at 70,000 miles which used to be costly. Try to get one with leather.
    Check out volvoforums.org.uk; lots of info there.

Mines in great condition for the age. Just turned 100K. About to do service on it next weekend. Been using Mobil 1 on it the past few oil changes. Going to do a flush by running with Castrol for a few weeks and then switch to Liqui Moly.

Got Vredestein Sportrac 3's on them in good condition. NCT Aug 13.

Can send you link to advert if needed. Wife's got new car so one of the Volvo's has to go. Would prefer to have the C70 go instead and keep the S40, pocket the money and pay off a few bills!

Lots of petrol S40s for sale but few decent diesels. Been that way for a few years now. I can only guess that people who have them tend to keep them.

yeah, send on the link, I'll have a look.

Wandererz, had a look at your ad, fine looking car alright!
    Unfortunately I can't afford it. I need to trade with a dealer to get enough to buy a car. Thanks for the look though and if my finances were in better condition I would jump at your car, pity that.

• Advertisement

Not a problem at all.
    If you're looking at another, make sure that it's low owner and well serviced, with leather.
    Also, there was a lower BHP version as well (95-100). Not worth it in my opinion.

Is there anyway to know bhp from engine bay?
    How much did your remap cost and is it worth it?

Is there anyway to know bhp from engine bay?
    How much did your remap cost and is it worth it?

The 115BHP engine is the D4192T3 (that was from memory!)

You can tell from the VIN number:

The 6th and 7th digits of the chassis number give the engine code:

70 is a D4192T3

So the chassis number YV1VW70 means the car has a D4192T3 115BHP engine. Assuming the engine hasn't been changed of course.

Similar info in the attached PDF.

Also, the following link provides some info if you know the VIN number:
    http://www.volvo-vin.eu/numer-vin,YV1MS702971759504

Remap cost about €350, but that was around 2008 or so.

To be honest, i didn't think it made much of a difference at first but certainly noticed it after doing a service. If you're getting it done make sure you service it before doing the remap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot less than selling the Mondeo private and going in with cash.

How much tax and NCT left on it? It'll cost less to change if you sell and buy private, but it will require more work by you.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot less than selling the Mondeo private and going in with cash.

How much tax and NCT left on it? It'll cost less to change if you sell and buy private, but it will require more work by you.

He's right about that. That's why i bought the wifes car cash last week and decided to sell either of the other two volvo's privately.

I know you guys are right about buying and selling private, but as you say it requires more time/work by me which i can't give.:( I just want to get rid of my mondy (160,000) miles put up by me :D and get something different at the same time.
    The nct is out in october and tax out end of next month.

Best i can say is take a look at private prices on autotrader, donedeal and adverts for something similar mileage, year, model and that should give you a good indication minus a few hundred euro.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing.

Another thought, would a dealer trade my car for a car of the same age with less mileage?
    (stumbled on a different ad)

A 10 year old Mondeo with 200k miles on the clock will be worth sweet feck all to any dealer. You will get next to nothing for it and what they do give you for it will just be added back onto the price of the Volvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

I had a 2008 1.9 for 4 years. about 90Bhp Relaible enough but only at best 42MPG. very comfy but would not pull you out of bed?

I recently had a 2003 1.9d 115bhp, much better car generally 50 -52 MPG and much more livelier to drive, seats v comfy however this is an old design from late 1995 so suspension wise not a good on a bad road. Fine on motorway. I had EGR problems too but easily sorted. Engine is Renault lump, but reliable.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would be definitely looking to get 115 bhp. My 90bhp mondeo, while being a loyal servant for 8 years is a bit slow of the mark. I drive an hour each way to work so I think leather might be nice. The mondeo is still capable of 50 mpg (even 52 now and then) so I wouldn't like to go backwards there either.

Any one know if Volvo diesel can run on biodiesel or SVO? (incase mineral diesel gets scarce:eek:)

Afaik any diesel with common rail injectors cannot run on biodiesel or at least without some sort of conversion done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bmccaff

wandererz wrote: »
    Derryvella,

I've owned a 03 1.9d S40 since 2008 and it's a rock solid vehicle. Although it's a renault engine Volvo reinforced them to their own specifications.

The only issue i've had has been the EGR valve, but that's a common problem and easily replaced.

Try to get the 115HP sports version. It's 50+ MPG standard (possibly 55MPG).
    With a performance remap it's still a good 40-46MPG. And once that turbo kicks in... :)

They're good for 250K+ miles. Just make sure you get one that's been well maintained.

As for servicing, there's not much that needs to be done:
    - Oil
    - Oil filter
    - Air filter
    - Fuel filter
    - Cabin Pollen Filter

Hope it goes well.
    BTW, mine is for sale as well. (Upgraded the wife's car last week).

I have a 2002 115bhp with 160,000 on clock and going well.
    It's a renault engine and i recon it dose about 45mpg average.
    Get the SE version as its all leather, heated seats, cruise etc. Only thing suspension is a bit stiff.
    Also beware of EGR valve as it sticks, I used to just tap it or take off the odd time and clean but then i blew turbo as a result.
    Got a recon one on net for 350 and replaced and going good since. Its easy enough to acess. That was at 120,000

Advertisement