Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Semi 1: Coletrickle88 vs Moneymaker

• 24-06-2012 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

Well, we are now onto the Semis. I'd like to congratulate the 4 remaining competitors for reacing this stage.

Without further ado, we begin the semis. This match is Moneymaker vs Coletrickle88. The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin.

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 6 votes

Moneymaker
    0%
    Coletrickle88
    100%
    Trippiextal191MoneymakerRekop dogKnex*Junior D 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

First of all best of luck to Moneymaker . I would have much rathered face Mikeys team .

39b84253.jpg
    My formation is 4-2-3-1 .

Goalkeeper
    Rui Patrício has been Sportings number 1 keeper for the last 5 years and he is only 24 years old . One of the top up and coming goalkeepers in europe at the moment .

Defence
    Arguably the strongest in the draft
    Boateng a cb at trade but more than capable of playing rb as he has shown for Germany many times .
    Hummels and Kompany are without doubt 2 of the best cbs around right now . No need to explain these picks at all
    Jordi Alba only made his debut for Spain last october but they would no doubt be worse off without him in the team .

Midfield
    My midfield Deschamps & Cabaye, has 2 hard working players both solid in the tackle .
    Deschamps a World cup and Europen championship winning captain kept Makelele out of the french team for years proves how good he was.
    A player once described as a water carrier by Eric Cantona . Basically his job is to protect the back 4 and give them attacking players the ball to play with .

Cabaye
    An all round box to box midfielder . Solid defensively and decent enough going forward a very good set piece taker whether its corners ,free kicks or penalties .
    It is no coincidence that when he left Lille their forunes changed for the worse and Newcastle changed for the better .

Attacking Midfielders

Alan Dzagoev , Andrei Arshavin & Mesut Özil .

My 3 attacking midfielder can all find themselves anywhere cross the pitch . Here i have 3 very tricky clever footballers .
    People will say they are too similar but good players can adapt there games to play with other good players and these are very good .

Forward
    In Huntelaar i have prolific goal scorer for club and country with 31 in 56 for Holland and 248 goals in 377 at club level so its safe to say he knows where the back of the net is.

Haven't got long to write this but here goes .

If Moneymaker lines up how I expect him 3412 or 532 whichever way you look at it .

I think if my team can press him high up the pitch his Wbs will be forced back making a back 5 making it harder for me to break him down but giving him no width at all . If we can do this I can see there being a big gap between Pirlo/Inler and Reus/Llorente/Di Natale which isn't good for him at all and I think I could afford to push Cabaye a bit more forward (not all the time but when the opportunity presents itself )as people have been saying it is where he is more affective .

Reus / Llorente and Di Natale are all good players but i think Kompany Hummels and Deschamps would be able to keep them relatively quiet .

Obviously it is going to be hard to break down his defence but I reckon my team would create more chances than his and hopefully we can take one of them .

Really close game IMO .

Good luck again MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Coletrickle88
    Good luck Cole :)

This is how I will line up for this game;

abCS1r1ai0.jpg

Had a good think and decided this is the best way to line up for this game(before you did your write up).

I think the key to beating Coletrickle is twofold. Stop Ozil. Stop Alba. Stop Ozil and his best playmaker is nullified, stop Alba and CTs team loses its width. So how shall I do this, move Beckenbaeur into a deep midfield position and man mark Ozil. He has the class to do this and I am confident with only one striker, my two centre halves will be just fine. Maggio is perfectly capable playing right back(he plays there for Italy and often takes deeper defensive positions for Napoli when required) Reus will be asked to push out wide and try make things difficult for Alba, he has great work rate and speed so this shouldn't be a problem. Inler will be asked to press Cabaye and Deschamps as much as he can and try limit their influence. Cabaye has been marked out of games for Newcastle a couple of times this season. Frankly, I don't trust Arshavin and with so little space to work with, he will get frustrated and petulant very quickly as we've seen time and time again.

When I win the ball, I will be looking to counter attack at pace with Lahm down the flanks, Maggio when possible and Reus's tendency's to drift wide and stretch two excellent centre backs out of position. Llorente, Di Natale and Reus have scored a lot of goals(73) and I am confident I can nick a goal. Ozil and Arshavin are not known for scoring a lot of goals(or high work rate) so I am hoping this over-reliance on Huntelaar gives me a good chance in this game. All of CTs strengths are through the middle so I will be looking to the flanks and Llorentes aerial power, and Di Natale looking to pick up the scraps. There may be space behind Alba for Reus and Maggio to exploit on the counter(remember Alba has a quality left back in Mathieu to protect him while he bombs forward), this will force one of Hummels or Kompany out of position and I will be looking to exploit this.

Anyway, good luck again Cole and may the best team win. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Coletrickle88
    The answer to the winner of this game has he so confused its made me question my sexuality :pac:

Although Cole's back 4 is awesome, its 3 of his front 4 for me that let him down. Ozil is the only one who gives it much credibility IMO.
    Arshavin and Huntelaar I really, really don't like. Both petulant wasters who could do soooo much more with their talent.
    Dzagoev I think is a good player, but not one who could trouble Lahm.

Beckenbaur, Reus and Pirlo to dominate the game. 1-0 win for MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Coletrickle88 defence will be strong enough for him to out score Moneymaker. The hunter to score the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Coletrickle to win. Jagielka won't have a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Coletrickle88
    Moneymaker: "Semi-finals need more love"

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Have to go with Coletrickle, I think he has one of the most well balanced teams in the draft and with how moneymaker is set up I think he would have more of the ball and win the midfield battle which would be crucial to this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'll do a write up maybe in a little while or certainly later in the day (afternoon sometime). But long story short, I've gone for Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I'm going for Cole in this one.

Moneymaker's system is great, but the solidity of Cole's back 4, and then the 2 in front of them, and then Mesut Ozil in front of them? Gorgeous. I really do think Arshavin was a terrible pick however, almost any other winger in there and I would be all over the side, but I just do not rate him at all and think he detracts from every team he plays in. Almost every other pick is flawless though. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Coletrickle88
    MM shape is pretty terrible I think, he could have lined up so much better. Cole has a good side, but seems to be two banks, a defensive one and an attacking one, deschamps never lined up that forward, he always just sat in front of the defense and cabaye plays much much higher up. he would be wasted sitting where he is. With that there seems to be 4 at the back with one in front and 4 attacking with one behind which means they wont have a big presence in midfield to press MM. After watching the Italy England game today it was clear pirlo needs to be pressed and hassled all game and if not he will have all the time and space in the world to pick out those amazing passes.

With maggio sitting back inorde to nulify jordi alba i cant see cole getting any width however I can see lahm having a field day vs boateng, he isnt the most attacking of full backs so he seems to either sit deep or push right up, if he pushes right that means when the ball is played behind him kompany is going to have to come across to cover there. That could free up space for Di Natele, I expect llorente to have a quiet game but I think the pace and trickery of ADN could get some joy against the centre backs.

Beckenbauer will shore up the cente of the field, his wing backs will nulify out wide, I cannot see cole scoring at all however I think MM can nick one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really tough one this. I think Beckenbauer's positioning here will be a huge factor. The inability of Cole's technical trio to operate through the center will deny him a big part of his attacking platform.

Would like to see some more discussion before I make a decision. Having a hard time calling this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Coletrickle88
    MM just but interesting match. Really dislike Maggio plaing in a back 4, the last time he played there for Italy was an unmitigated disaster. Having him there diminishes his full attacking potential while exposing his poor defensive ability. BUT I think the change of tactics was key to this match as I believe stopping Ozil is imperative to beating Cole's team. Going by Arshavins form over the last few years it's safer to assume he won't produce than the odd quality display he gives, also he can be a non entity in terms of defensive cover when needed. Also have major doubts about Huntelaar doing it on the occasion. He failed at Milan and to a lesser extent at Madrid and hasn't got a good record at the very top level imo.

Rekop, I agree with some of what you say, but I have issue with one thing :)

Here

Huntelaar:

2011/12 Bundesliga - 32 starts 29 goals 8 assists
    2011/12 Europe - 12 starts 10 goals 1 assist

to go back to Milan

11 Serie A starts 7 goals

Real Madrid

13 La Liga starts 8 goals 1 assist.

When you are willing to make him your number 1 striker, he will reward you

Internationally (only competitive)

Useless in Euros but would he have been as bad as Van Persie if he had the same game time? 1 start 0 goals

Euro Champ qualifiers

7 starts 10 goals 1 assist.

He is not who I would have a problem with in that team tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Coletrickle for me, despite his dodgy defence. Moneymaker would be murdered down the flanks.

I'm sorry did he just say I have a dodgy defence ?

Huntelaar is a beast give him a couple of chances and he will take one of them.

I think Mms change of formation works well for me tbh . Lahm and Maggio being pushed backwards will leave then too much ground to cover to help out offsensively.

Still think its really close though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Coletrickle88
    kryogen wrote: »

Here

Huntelaar:

2011/12 Bundesliga - 32 starts 29 goals 8 assists
    2011/12 Europe - 12 starts 10 goals 1 assist

to go back to Milan

Real Madrid

13 La Liga starts 8 goals 1 assist.

When you are willing to make him your number 1 striker, he will reward you

Internationally (only competitive)

Useless in Euros but would he have been as bad as Van Persie if he had the same game time? 1 start 0 goals

Euro Champ qualifiers

7 starts 10 goals 1 assist.

He is not who I would have a problem with in that team tbh

Well you can't leave out the whole host of sub appearences he made for Milan and Madrid, his goals to game time wouldn't be as impressive. Also scewed by the fact a lot of those full appearences would have been against weaker league opposition when other regular starters were rested. He was very poor at Milan and I would have seen the majority of his games. Not proven himself in the CL much or at a major international comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Coletrickle88
    kryogen wrote: »

Here

Huntelaar:

to go back to Milan

I am a huge milan fan and tbh he was shocking, his 7 goals he scored, 6 were braces vs rubbish teams, he looked out of his depth, struggled with movement and finishing and was well down the pecking order by the end of the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I had to argue against Coletrickles team last game despite honestly thinking his team was a good bit better than mine and it wasnt easy. Both teams here are obviously quality but id give the edge to Coletrickle here and think that Ozil/Huntelaar would have a better chance breaking down Mm's defense than the mammoth Ct defensive spine. Still think that his AM trio might let him down and the winner may come from the other semi final but here his side just have a great balance to it and get the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I can't see anything other than a win for Coletrickle. I just don't see how Moneymaker's team will control the ball at all and even when they win the ball and counter I don't see many outlets. I think Cole's team is set up perfect for Moneymaker's tactics. Everything comes centrally bar Lahm so I don't see how counter attacks would even begin. Tough game but Coletrickle would win 2/3-0.

Coletrickle88
    Coletrickle for me, despite his dodgy defence. Moneymaker would be murdered down the flanks.

By who? He doesn't have any wide players.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    I can't see anything other than a win for Coletrickle. I just don't see how Moneymaker's team will control the ball at all and even when they win the ball and counter I don't see many outlets. I think Cole's team is set up perfect for Moneymaker's tactics. Everything comes centrally bar Lahm so I don't see how counter attacks would even begin. Tough game but Coletrickle would win 2/3-0.

What? Pirlo and Beckenbaeur won't control the ball? Crazy talk. Reus operates from wide areas and i'm set up to exploit space Alba leaves in behind.
    Coletrickle to win. Jagielka won't have a hope.

Yeah because it will all boil down to that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Coletrickle88
    Gone with Moneymaker for this one.

I think people are somewhat overlooking the presence of Beckenbaeur in the holding midfield role. He is a massive presence and is more than capable of dominating Ozil in what is a crucial part of Coletrickle's team.

Add to that, playing alongside him is Pirlo, one of the finest creative players of the last decade. Having him as a resource to exploit the fantastic movement of Reus, Di Natale and Llorente will see MM coming away with a win, in what is admittedly an extremely tight game.

Inler is also a fantastic all round midfield player who is more than capable of being a big presence in that side. He has one hell of a shot and great eye for a pass.

Reus pushed out more right is also a great move and with Arshavin pathetic at tracking back I feel Alba could be up against it. This would also see Coletrickle's main source of width being made somewhat redundant, and ultimately lead to his side having to play solely through the middle. And as I pointed out before, here is where the legend that is Beckenbaeur will sweep up.

So I win 8-4 ?

Coletrickle88
    Seems that way. Grats. Was always an underdog going into this game. Getting early picks in round 1 and the wildcard round was too much of an advantage to overcome.

Good luck in the final, you were my tip to win it outright so lets hope it turns out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I've seen a few similar threads around here recently...
    Forgive my ignorance, but wtf is this s**t?

I've seen a few similar threads around here recently...
    Forgive my ignorance, but wtf is this s**t?

Sorry dude, you have to be in the clique to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

So I win 8-4 ?

Aye - this is correct.

Best of luck to you in the final and commiserations to MM.

Advertisement