Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft Semi 2: Blatter vs LuckyLloyd

• 24-06-2012 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

This match is Blatter vs LuckyLloyd . The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentance is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Guys, whenever you are ready, begin.

Who wins? (Remember only Developed Answers will be Counted) 6 votes

Blatter
    0%
    LuckyLloyd
    100%
    lordgoatxtal191The Floyd pBlatterFishooks12IncognitoMan 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Best of luck to Blatter, pressure is on now. :)

First, I'll repost the general introduction to my team:

Team:

Valdes

Arbeloa--Barzagli--Agger--Cole

Khedira
    Rosicky

Ronaldo
    Hagi
    Bale

Shevchenko

General:

The big thing here is obviously the attacking midfield trio of Ronaldo, Bale and Hagi. Simply put, these three on the pitch within this 11 will cause multiple problems for any opposition.

Hagi in his prime was an exquisite player with unparalleled vision. He will provide a fulcrum to unlock the heart of any defense in this competition. He will find space for himself or create it for others, and Ronaldo and Bale are capable of coming of their wings to get on the end of moves through the center. In this sense, while Rosicky and Shevchenko aren't the best players picked in the process, they will fit perfectly here. Shevchenko provides excellent movement and positioning off the ball and is still capable of linking play to runnefrs beyond him, while Rosicky is a great passer with great technique and has the ability to pop up on the end of passing moves through the center of a defense.

But, if that isn't working, then Bale and Ronaldo have the pace and physicality to stretch a defense out wide, beat fullbacks and create havoc from a different angle. Also Ronaldo is a potent threat in the air if left one on one with a fullback on the back post. At times where teams get men behind the ball against us, any of our players will have the ability to deliver a threatening ball from an angle to take advantage of that.

Ultimately, I see a lot of goals in this lineup. The variety on show here should stretch any team, as there are plenty of available playing patterns that can hurt.

================================

Defensively, I feel like I have an excellent goalkeeper, a really well balanced and gifted back four, and a top notch defensive shield sitting infront of them. Agger and Barzagli is a complimentary partenership, and Cole and Arbeloa on either side (Cole particularly) will stand toe to toe with any attacking wingers in this draft. Khedira and Valdes infront and behind are players of the highest pedigree and have spent the last few seasons operating at the business end of the footballing spectrum.

A big problem for my opponents will be the threat I pose on the break. Bale and Ronaldo are luxuries in this regard. They have the pace and ability to stretch a pushed up back line in a split second, and Hagi was supreme in his ability to pick the decisive pass in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Addressing Blatter's team specifically, I think it's fair to start by noting that he did well to draft a great collection of players. Some huge names here.

Where I think his team falls down is in terms of balance and asking players to fit within their most natural and comfortable positions.

Some structural problems with Blatter's side

There is a real lack of natural width to Blatter's side. Schmelzer is a gifted fullback, but he will be tasked with getting up the entire flank. Balotelli will naturally tend towards the center, and tucking in a lot here will hamper Blatter's efforts to stretch me out wide on this flank. By contrast, on the other flank Puyol is problematic in this regard. While he has filled in at times as a right back for Barcelona, he is definitely more comfortable in the center - particularly at this stage of his career. I'm not seeing his ability to get down the right side and offer an attacking threat.

Then defensively, Balotelli and Pedro are not the best bets to get back and help out all the time (particularly the former), and this could prove fatal against my side.

In the center of the park, Blatter has picked a good unit that compliment each other well. Relative to the standards of this competition though, I think the absence of a true star could hurt.

RVP is pure money time obviously, but this will be the toughest test he has faced so far in the competition.

At the heart of his defense, the big star is out of position. Maldini's was a very, very good central defender but undoubtedly the days where he was a giant of the game were spent on the left side of a defense. Cahill is a solid player, but below average relative to the level of this competition. And Szczesny is a great shot stopper but has ways to develop yet.

How I can hurt Blatter

Puyol and Schmelzer will provide stiffer opposition to Bale and Ronaldo than they faced in the previous round, but Balotelli might prove to be a fatal weakness here, as whichever flank he is on will be left free for Cole / Arbeloa to provide vital support. Kroos will be a tough test for Khedira, but it's nothing he hasn't managed before. I think my midfield can compete in the center of the park here, and Martinez might not be ready at this stage of his career for the difficulties of an in prime Hagi.

Blatter may argue that his fullbacks can stay home to counter the breaking threat of Bale and Ronaldo but, as noted above, if that happens he is going to be left with no width and my strong back line will find their task made easier. As always, Shevchenko's movement will occupy the central defenders and I'd argue that there is only so much the great Maldini can reasonably be expected to handle.

Going to be a good one here, will be interesting to see if Blatter makes any changes to his formation and line up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd
    Best of luck yourself Lloyd.

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

First of all I just want to make it clear to people that might be only sifting through this, that Shevchenko in Lloyd's team is to be judged on current ability, not peak. Hagi is Lloyd's euro legend. If people make the mistake of judging Sheva at his peak, none of us would stand a chance against Lloyd:p

Tactics/game plan: Cahill and Maldini will usually play the ball into feet of the nearest midfielder, Martinez more often than not, who will then usually supply it to Montolivo or Kroos. Those two are fantastic on the ball and have great vision, and will look for runs from Balotelli/RVP/Pedro, whom will all interchange somewhat. My two fullbacks will be quite cautious with an eye on containing Ronaldo and Bale, but will venture forward on select occasions. Pedro will be very important because he offers great width. I felt the Spanish team looked much better when he came on yesterday, he's a fantastic dribbler and can beat a man on the right or left. Kroos will be the more advanced midfielder of the three, and will float behind the three forwards. He will also drift out wide at times, and he is well able to beat a man.

Defensively, I'll have a flat back 4. I think Maldini and Cahill would work very well together and the pace that both possess would allow them to cover for the fullbacks more easily. Schmelzer and Puyol are both very sound defensively in the fullback positions and won't be beaten on their own easily anyway. Javi Martinez will play the holding role in midfield and do his best to stifle the threat of Hagi. Montolivo and Kroos will put their fair share of effort into tracking runners off the ball. Pedro will make Puyol's job a hell of a lot easier with his great work rate and tracking back. Balotelli will help out less so on the other side, but his work rate is often underrated. He often puts in a real shift, however I'm confident with Schmelzer's pace and Maldini beside him, Balotelli's defensive role will become far less important.

LuckyLloyd
    I do like Lloyd's defense, although I do feel Arbeloa while a good pro and relatively reliable, is the biggest 'weak link' in the Spain and Real Madrid teams. Himself and Barzagli aren't the quickest either. I think the pace and power of Balotelli, RVP and Pedro interchanging would prove problematic, especially with Kroos floating in behind.

I don't particularly fancy the partnership of Khedira and Rosicky. I've rarely seen either take a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate it. I do think that my team would win the midfield battle and claim a majority of possession, maybe 55-60%. Kroos has already played against a midfield containing Khedira (and Alonso!) twice last season and the amount of space and time on the ball he was made for himself was unreal. There are clips of just Kroos' performance in those two games. Here for the one in Munich, and here for the one at the Bernabeu. They are a great watch for anybody that had doubts over what sort of influence Kroos would have in this match.

Hagi was a great player and a smart pick, but I'm confident Martinez has the ability to stifle a large percentage of the threat he carries.

Ronaldo, another great player and Schmelzer will have to be on his game. I think the fact that I'd have more possession, helps with the threat of Ronaldo, who can't hurt you of he doesn't have the ball and can often get frustrated. Granted, he could still bag a goal.

Bale, obviously not in Ronaldo's class, is another dangerous player but I think Pedro helping out Puyol will see his threat limited. Again, I think the fact that my team would have more possession would automatically reduce his threat somewhat.

Current Shevchenko is obviously Lloyd's biggest weakness. He is just simply no where near the standard of my defenders and I can see him being dealt with fairly comfortably. I believe having such a weak focal point will be a major problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Blatter whats about putting schmelzer in at right back, moving maldini to left and dropping puyol in the middle, sheva isnt the fastest so puyol and cahill would have him well marshalled and who better to mark ronnie than maldini, probably the best left back the game has seen? Cahill is could provide cover against Bale something if schmelzer is in difficulty and bale runs inside, if bale goes on the outside cahill is good enough in the air to take the crosses coming from bales side which wouldnt be coming from ronnie due to him shooting the whole time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Schmelzer isn't a right full whatsoever.

LuckyLloyd
    Blatter whats about putting schmelzer in at right back, moving maldini to left and dropping puyol in the middle, sheva isnt the fastest so puyol and cahill would have him well marshalled and who better to mark ronnie than maldini, probably the best left back the game has seen? Cahill is could provide cover against Bale something if schmelzer is in difficulty and bale runs inside, if bale goes on the outside cahill is good enough in the air to take the crosses coming from bales side which wouldnt be coming from ronnie due to him shooting the whole time

You had me tempted, but as G.K said, Schmelzer isn't known to be able to fill in at right back. It would be picked apart by people

Unsure of whether I'd be able to change formation at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I honestly don't know who's going to win this one. It's ridiculously close. Will have to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I honestly don't know who's going to win this one. It's ridiculously close. Will have to think about it.

Very close, but I'd have to go with LuckyLloyd.

I think his side control possession, and with his front 4 (3) would, his side would create and finish plenty of chances.

On Lloyd
    Although I'm not a massive Valdes fan, he's still a good keeper and he's perfect for what I can see your side doing and dominating possession. I think he's a big key to Barca's possession game and will help your side there too.

Sides biggest weakness is the back 4.
    Arbeloa I like. Very solid and good in possession.
    Barzagli I have my doubts about. Lacks pace which I think RvP, Pedro and Mario can expose.
    Not a big Agger fan either. Have doubts about his head, and when I say that I mean his concentration. Pretty error prone.
    While Cole is usually a top defender and one of the best lb's in the world he hasn't had a great season and could reaaly struggle against Pedro's pacey runs and skill.

Khedira and Rosicky are both good in possession and very clever. Whilst some people don't like Rosicky, in the role he's being deployed here I like him.

Ronaldo, Hagi and Bale. The winning of this game.
    Ronaldo is almost unplayable atm, Hagi is Hagi and Bale would definately do this current Puyol.
    These 3 don't really need any explaining.

As Blatter pointed out, this Sheva is not the Sheva of old, but he's still a decent finisher if the opportunity arises.
    But with the damage that the 3 behind could do, he doesn't need to be the Sheva of old.

On Blatter
    Szczesny. Don't like him. At all. Way too error prone, he will cost way more games than he'll ever save.

As a Bolton supporter, I know from experience that Cahill is dodgey and I honestly don't rate Puyol that highly as a defender. I think if he was put in a lot of other sides he would be seriously exposed.

Whilst I think Martinez has bags and bags of potential, at the moment I can't see him stifling Hagi or controlling Bale and Ronaldo's cuts infield.
    Not a big fan of Montelivo either. Just over-rated I think.
    But I do love Kroos, was gonna go for him myself. Like Schweinsteiger, he can do everything. Excellent player, but 1 midfielder can't do it all.

Pedro and RvP very good, but like a lot of eithers I just really don't know bout Mario. Very erratic and just not proven enough IMO. But he's still a good striker who could cause damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

LuckyLloyd
    Going for Blatter. I agree that the current ability Shevchenko wouldnt be causing problems for 90 min. This was a very though one as ronaldo and hagi are two of my favourite picks but looking at the two teams I think blatter has a better team unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The wide options in LuckyLloyd's team wins out for me. Ronaldo and Bale is some tricky options to have to deal with, particularly against opposition here who aren't blessed with world-class wide options anywhere in the team.

LuckyLloyd for me. Bale and Ronnie together would be sex. Schmelzer and Puyol would not be able to cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lloyd for me. His wingers are just to good. Puyol would be far to exposed against Bale and Cole. Blatters team would have the majority of possession but I think Lloyd team would operate very well on the counter attack. Puyol will need help from either Martinez or Cahill, problem is when he gets it then Hagi or Shevcenko will be allowed more space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

LuckyLloyd for me.

Just want to say I really like Blatter's team, but I don't see how anyone could stop Ronaldo, Hagi and Bale. Shevchenko in front may not be a patch on the player he once was, but all he has to do is run in behind to pull defenders away and he showed in the Euros that he can still do that.

Close one lads, two really nice teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think Lloyds team wins it for me. I don't like the look of Ronaldo and Arbeloa on the left for a defensive standpoint but up don't think that Blatters team would be able to take advantage of this because Puyol is never going to overlap. Attacking wise I think Lloyds frontline would be outstanding with Hagi in behind Shevchenko.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

LuckyLloyd for me. Fantastic balance to his team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lloyd for me I dont think Blatter will be able to contain Ronaldo .

One weak point in Lloyds team is Rosicky I don't think he's effective so deep . I think Cabaye was his Target for that position and he would have worked so much better IMO .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't think either side is particularly good at the back, I think Lloyd has just slightly more firepower and a better defensive unit overall, even with Paolo back there for Blatter. Lloyd to win a 3-2 thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Does this close at 11.48 am or pm tomorrow, having a tough time deciding here

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

LuckyLloyd
    Such a tough call. It really could go either way. I think that Blatter would take it as his midfield is a bit stronger. I don't like the partnership of Khed and Ros at all. While I do accept going forward they would be awesome, but it's when the lose the ball that I think they would struggle.

I think Blatters defence shades it at times wand with Maldini on the left side at the back I think he would give ample cover when up against Ronnie from that side.

All in all too very good team. Probably my two favourite teams picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lloyd will win this one - his trio of attacking midfielders will be nigh-on unstoppable imo. He also has a strong central midfield and a tight defense.

Shevchenko is the big weakness, but I don't think that will matter in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Not sure how I feel about this match up to say the least. I know lloyd has mentioned the pace and playing on the break but the midfield three arent exactly suited to this, they like ot be on the ball and dictate the tempo, i can see hagi looking to play ronnie in a lot as he drives at the goal. sheva is not good at all and doesnt start sometimes these days. I say that as a milan fan and a sheva fan. I think there is perhaps a little too much over relienace on the fact he will make runs and create space. As an opponent i wouldnt let his runs scare me at all and instead focus on ronaldo who is going to shoot 20 times a game. Bale is an out and out counter attacking player and needs space to work with. He isnt going to be nearly as effective in the box as you would hope him to be. Lloyds attack is pretty good but it can be nulified I think. Barzaghli is a weak point in defence also.

i talked about playing your players in their best positions in Blatters first match and it stands true. I dont get the criticsm for Maldini at centre back though, he was sublime in the position throughout the years. However if he was left back here it would be a whole lot easier to nulify ronaldo, puyol inside him and go from there. I would of liked to see pedro a little deeper and then midfield better organsied to try and control the midfield as lloyds team can be got at. But with a free reign out wide its going to be too dfficult.

Lloyd to win I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

So, LuckyLloyd won here against Blatter by 11-2.

Congrats to LuckyLloyd and good luck in the final.

Commiserations to Blatter.

LuckyLloyd
    Congrats Lloyd

Advertisement