Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone calls from Africa!

Options
  • 24-06-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I've been getting phone calls on my mobile recently from Congo. The area code is 00243, I don't know anyone in Congo so there's no reason why I should be getting calls from there. Last night and this morning I received about 6 calls all from different numbers but with the same area code. My mobile number is not listed and I don't make it public anywhere. I have answered a couple of these calls in the past and there has either been just background noise as if someone dialled accidentally or else some one speaking a foreign language that I don't understand. Now I don't answer and just reject the calls. My question is have any of you been getting calls from overseas that are puzzling? It's a mystery to me why they continue to call my number and it's really annoying. Don't know how to stop it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Joe duffy had a thing before that was kinda similar, people getting strange calls for international numbers. Turned out it was a scam trying to get you to call back where you'd be charged the international rate + a premium rate fee.

Get on to your network to have them blocked, but if they're using skype numbers that wont do much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

Thanks ED E, that makes sense. They've been texting me today(in French), here's the scenario that they're setting: Timothe, a college student is trying to contact his mother to let her know that he has to pay for exams and that if he doesn't pay by Saturday, he will have to repeat the year. It is written as if he is sending the text to his mother and he doesn't know that it has been sent to the wrong number!!! If anyone gets these phone calls or texts, please ignore them!

If you're getting so many I suspect a bot has picked up you number somewhere, are you a linked in user? I've got notifications of security warnings on a few sites in the past few weeks(and an attempt at my gmail from ecuador :| ). I'd review your account security anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

ED E wrote: »
    If you're getting so many I suspect a bot has picked up you number somewhere, are you a linked in user? I've got notifications of security warnings on a few sites in the past few weeks(and an attempt at my gmail from ecuador :| ). I'd review your account security anyways.

I'm not on LinkedIn or any social network sites. No idea how my number got out there. I saw on another forum saying that these people may be using an autodialler and a lot of the people affected recently have 087 numbers, as I do.

lafemme wrote: »
    I'm not on LinkedIn or any social network sites. No idea how my number got out there. I saw on another forum saying that these people may be using an autodialler and a lot of the people affected recently have 087 numbers, as I do.

Same as the "Microsoft PC Service Centre" People from india(Thread on that one in Computers, worth a skim).

• Advertisement
Advertisement