Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up needed!

Options
  • 24-06-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi folks, small bit of help needed here cause expecting an unmerciful fall out tomorrow!
    Bit of background, Im the recently appointed manager over two small businesses, located in two towns using the same staff to man both (all have different days on both sites).

The family tree is, the owner of both who works in both, myself then as manager again who spends time in both and 5 staff who do varying jobs.

Calling a meeting tomorrow with all staff because our third newest staff member, who granted has a very responsible job has got huge ideas above her station and her venom has rubbed off an other members of staff.

To shorten it, she comes in in foul humour and its like a dark cloud descends, she moans constantly, is abrupt, rude, bosses other staff members about, questions everything, makes her own decisions despite being told not to because they have already been made and generally makes everybody feel miserable.

She has already been pulled on this and yet no change.

She back bites everybody, runs down the boss, walks in and ignores the boss, doesnt speak to practically anyone unless its to give orders.

Now its bad enough she is a walking nettle but we have since taken on two other staff members who she would have more contact with than most of us and her behaviour is rubbing off on them.

They are starting to mimic her behaviour, questioning things, refusing to do things and even texting our boss and having a go after hours.

Unfortunately our boss is such an easy going person who hates confrontation it is now falling on me to put a stop to all of this.

I have prepared new terms and conditions (on paper, a copy of which all will get in the morning) which is aimed at stopping all of this basically its time the tail stopped wagging the dog!

Im going to open the meeting and say that what they are about to read is non negotiable and its not a question and answers time but that this is how the business is supposed to be run and will be from this minute onwards.

I know the other staff will agree but I know for a fact that the nettle as we shall call her will be very vocal, disagree with everything for the sake of it and will afterwards make the other girls lives a misery on the sly by bitching.

How do I prepare myself for dealing with her?? I want to be forearmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Might be more appropriate here OP.
    Moved to Work Problems

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Issue written warning to her. If it continues, then second warning. Continues again, she is fired.

No need to haul everybody up.

Staff don't have to agree to new T&Cs so that might be a non-runner.

Well the reasoning behind hauling them all in is because some of them have started to mirror her behaviour so it needs to be stamped out.

We cannot make an example of her and say she got called in and this is the result because that wouldnt be fair.

The terms and conditions arent new, they are they have always been just they seem to need the clarification again.

But the real issue is because of her nature she will kick up a fuss and argue just for the sake of it and I want to just stop her in her tracks.

Im not sure how to go about this without it turning into a row

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You don't need staff agreement for all policies at work, so make sure that whatever you're introducing is in a category of document that doesn't need to be agreement with them.

For a start, make sure that you have a rock solid disciplinary process that you can push people through if needs be.

OP - are you this person's manager, or are you her peer and both of you report to the same manager? If it's the latter, then you need the boss to grow a pair and take the lead on this.
    But the real issue is because of her nature she will kick up a fuss and argue just for the sake of it and I want to just stop her in her tracks.

I think she needs to be spoken to in person first and a very honest conversation needs to be had with her.

• Advertisement

hi Eoin no I am her line manager.

I have spoken to her before with our boss but things did improve for a short while but starting slipping back.

I can indeed slip everything into pre existing categories so really what will happen is just reiterating how the business runs.

I suppose really there are only a few small issues with others the main ones are with her.

Just thought it would be easier to get the point accross without singling people out if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you need to bite the bullet and have a word with her first and let her know that her behaviour is unacceptable, and that disciplinary action will be taken if it continues. Have the meeting with everyone else if you want, but you have to nip it in the bud with her beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think you will just be feeding her attitude by holding a meeting and going through all the rules that were already being adheared to before she started acting up. Make sure there she is more than aware of what is expected of her and manage her out. That will be communication enough for the others of what you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The meeting is not a good idea imo, you know where & who the problem is so you need to address it. I would discuss this with the owner and inform them that while person X's behaviour did improve for a while, it has lapse again. I would then ask the owner to sit in while you raise this point again.

I would then check the company's disciplinary handbook to and possibly issue a verbal warning.

Best of luck!!!

PS no doubt we will probably have a new thread from her saying she is being badly treated by a horrible line manager:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Gmol wrote: »
    The meeting is not a good idea imo, you know where & who the problem is so you need to address it. I would discuss this with the owner and inform them that while person X's behaviour did improve for a while, it has lapse again. I would then ask the owner to sit in while you raise this point again.

I would then check the company's disciplinary handbook to and possibly issue a verbal warning.
    Absolutely - you don't address performance issues in a public forum. You do it in private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd talk with her alone. I wouldn't be bringing documents etc into , just on a informal basis say if she keeps up x y and z , formal complaints will then be made.

Its also possible she is having personal / family problems outside of work , and is not just being a bitch for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

InReality wrote: »
    Its also possible she is having personal / family problems outside of work , and is not just being a bitch for the sake of it.

Irrelevant. As a manager, all you are concerned about is a person's workplace performance. If that degrades, you need to offer them work-based options to improve it, and consequences if the agreed improvements don't occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did we Irish learn nothing from Saipan? ;)

You don't call someone out in front of others
    It's guranteed they'll become defensive and lash back twice as hard

Have the one to one and the conversation with her

You can certainly hold a meeting about this new policy you have with the others but that meeting is to explain it, not to start pointing out failures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

JustMary wrote: »
    Irrelevant. As a manager, all you are concerned about is a person's workplace performance. If that degrades, you need to offer them work-based options to improve it, and consequences if the agreed improvements don't occur.

I'm pointing it out because its easy to see the other person as the "bad guy" , who's causing all the problems.

Its no harm to consider that everyone has a life outside work which may be cause them problems
    in work.

Thats not to say the OP should mention this in any meetings, but I think having a more open and compassionate mindset to the other party
    could be helpful to the OP in dealing with a conflict situation.

Having a "do this or else" attitude will almost certainly mean the person will leave the OP's company
    sooner or later , and that may not be of ultimate benieft to anyone invloved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Any update?

Advertisement