Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has UPC increased the speed for the 100MB

• 24-06-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Has UPC increased speed for the 100MB as I'm now getting 122 MB download and 9 MB upload , tested it few times on upc.ie/speedtest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They say everyone gets the increase. I'm waiting to hear back from my PM as suggested in the other thread.
    In the meantime ill struggle on with this
    2027067233.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

KoolKid wrote: »
    They say everyone gets the increase. I'm waiting to hear back from my PM as suggested in the other thread.
    In the meantime ill struggle on with this
    2027067233.png

You poor soul :D

I'd get onto UPC though. They're giving you 25Mb less than advertised

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I know. I hope to hear something back from them today.

UPC confirmed i have got the 120mb increase, still only getting around 90mbps, have contacted them waiting for tech support call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

RVP 11 wrote: »
    UPC confirmed i have got the 120mb increase, still only getting around 90mbps, have contacted them waiting for tech support call.

Did you reboot the router? Are you testing via WiFi or Ethernet connection?

Exactly the same here. Tech support rang this evening as promised but I was rushing out. They are calling back tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I know this is off topic but I just signed up to UPC 25MB, they are new to mg area and said this is all that's available but they will upgrade later.
    I check speeds by downloading an iso file and I'm getting a solid 3500KB/s which implies closer to 35MB connection.
    When I was with eircom I could access the router and see what speed I was synced at.
    I have logged into the Cisco router I got from UPC but cant see this info in there, is this info somewhere in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

jarvis wrote: »
    I know this is off topic but I just signed up to UPC 25MB, they are new to mg area and said this is all that's available but they will upgrade later.
    I check speeds by downloading an iso file and I'm getting a solid 3500KB/s which implies closer to 35MB connection.
    When I was with eircom I could access the router and see what speed I was synced at.
    I have logged into the Cisco router I got from UPC but cant see this info in there, is this info somewhere in there?

A download speed of 3500KB/s actually translates to 28Mb/s. Your download speed in kilobytes multiplied by 8 gives you your approximate connection speed in Megabits.

Whether you've been upgraded to 30Mb/s for free and are getting slightly less than your theoretical speed OR getting slightly more than the 25Mb/s you signed up for only UPC can tell you.

There is no way of seeing your sync speed in the cisco router, as your not really synced as you were with DSL. You are sharing ~200-300Mb/s (probably more like 40-50Mb/s, if 25MB/s is all you can get in your area) of bandwith with your neighbours. Your speed is capped at UPC's end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Do the test from magnet speedtest with antivirus and firewall turned off to get proper readings. I'm using kaspersky internet security suite and when i do a speedtest with it activated it is gobbledegook but when i turn it off and do the test it is fluid and correct. just a thought so try it out. If your security is scanning packets I can only assume this is what is causing bad readings and results.

• Advertisement

Did you reboot the router? Are you testing via WiFi or Ethernet connection?

Jesus, do you work for UPC?:D
    Yes i rebooted, yes i am testing over ethernet, and no nothing running or downloading at the same time, and all speed tests were done on UPC speed test (more accurate if you're with UPC.;)
    No interfering virus software either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've the 120mb and since the upgrade I'm getting anywhere from 90-120mb at various times throughout the day. Personally, I'm happy as long as it's over the 90mb mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

zenno wrote: »
    Do the test from magnet speedtest with antivirus and firewall turned off to get proper readings.

Why not use the http://speedtest.up.ie address instead? It should be more accurate.

Why not use the http://speedtest.up.ie address instead? It should be more accurate.

It is definately more accurate for upc owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Are you guys really getting those speeds with the 100/120Mbps package?

I upgraded to the 100Mbps package a few weeks ago, and the fastest I've seen on Speedtest.net is about 51Mbps (wired, not Wifi).

who_me wrote: »

I upgraded to the 100Mbps package a few weeks ago, and the fastest I've seen on Speedtest.net is about 51Mbps (wired, not Wifi).

Yup, you obviously have something wrong with your connection, UPC might not have activated your 100MB. Get onto them.

Yup, you obviously have something wrong with your connection, UPC might not have activated your 100MB. Get onto them.

Ok, thanks.

They obviously changed something, since I went from 30Mb to about 50Mb, and the upload speed is great (Speedtest reports up to 12Mbps, which is more than the max stated), but maybe they put me onto the 50Mbps package by mistake.

Ok, thanks.

They obviously changed something, since I went from 30Mb to about 50Mb, and the upload speed is great (Speedtest reports up to 12Mbps, which is more than the max stated), but maybe they put me onto the 50Mbps package by mistake.

Oh, if you're getting 12Mbps as an upload speed, it would make me think that you're actually on the 120Mb package. There's something wrong with your download speed so, it could be something on their end, or a loose connection on your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Sounds like you're on a DOCSIS2 system. What type of modem do you have and what area are you in?

2030567566.png
    Sorted my problem
    1Gbps NIC & Cat 6 = above, well chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I received a letter from them today telling me about the increase to 120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

bkehoe wrote: »
    Sounds like you're on a DOCSIS2 system. What type of modem do you have and what area are you in?

Doubt it. I've never heard of UPC being that stupid. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

I doubt it though. EuroDOCSIS's max speed excluding overhead is only 50 MB/s. The OP has apparently broken that (if only barely) and even then, that's only the maximum under ideal conditions. My guess would be the computer simply can't handle the speed.

I had this exact same issue with 100 MB/s. We were using the laptop to test it over ethernet, cause who's going to move the desktop to test it, right?! Well we kept getting an absolute max of 60 MB/s download, but full upload. Even UPC couldn't figure out the problem.

...until one day I was bored, and just decided to try the desktop (which is substantially more powerful). Lo-and-behold 97 MB/s.

The laptop in question isn't even very old. It is post-Win7. I repeated the test several times with other machines, and the common denominator was how fast the computer was. I didn't know whether to celebrate my connection was so fast my laptop couldn't handle it, or cry that my laptop was already so dated that it couldn't handle my connection. ;)

If you find out that your router is indeed a DOCSIS 3.0 one then find/borrow the absolute best computer you can, and test it with that. If you can't, get another reasonably okay computer, and have them simultaneously download a very large file from a site which is guaranteed to be fast (my suggestion would be to download the Windows 8 preview ISO from Microsoft). Add up the rate of download and you'll know if the bottleneck is going into the router, or going into your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Bit off topic.. but you people should be delighted with your service.

Where I live, due to the sh1tty line, the maximum broadband speed available is no more than 2mb/s... (thats upload and download combined)

Its Actually quicker to tether with 3g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Doubt it. I've never heard of UPC being that stupid. Of course, there's a first time for everything.

I doubt it though. EuroDOCSIS's max speed excluding overhead is only 50 MB/s. The OP has apparently broken that (if only barely) and even then, that's only the maximum under ideal conditions. My guess would be the computer simply can't handle the speed.

I've seen it before actually which is why I mentioned it. :)

bkehoe wrote: »

On the router's home page it states "Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway". Not sure what DOCSIS2 is! I'm in Cork city centre.

I should be getting up to 100Mbps. I just got 65Mbps on speedtest.upc.ie - highest ever - but on any real-life site it maxes out about 17/18Mbps. I've never seen faster than that, even on ftp.heanet.ie (suggested fast Irish site for testing).

Edit: The computer is a dual core i7 with 8GB RAM, no other apps running, so it should surely be more than capable of maxing out the connection? Obviously connecting over Ethernet, rather than Wifi.

I had this exact same issue with 100 MB/s. We were using the laptop to test it over ethernet, cause who's going to move the desktop to test it, right?! Well we kept getting an absolute max of 60 MB/s download, but full upload. Even UPC couldn't figure out the problem.

...until one day I was bored, and just decided to try the desktop (which is substantially more powerful). Lo-and-behold 97 MB/s.

The laptop in question isn't even very old. It is post-Win7. I repeated the test several times with other machines, and the common denominator was how fast the computer was. I didn't know whether to celebrate my connection was so fast my laptop couldn't handle it, or cry that my laptop was already so dated that it couldn't handle my connection. ;)

Really? Mine is a 2.66GHz dual-core i7, surely that should be enough?

I tried testing from Windows within a VM (I'm booted into OS X, I wanted to see if it was a Mac specific problem), and the first test on speedtest.upc.ie yielded 75Mbps.. and then all subsequent tests in the 40s.

Which is a bit irrelevant, since in real life, I'm getting 15-20Mbps, exactly what I was getting before the paid upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I know this might sound obvious & has probably been done by anyone who has speed issues & is running speed tests etc... The following is one of several things that should be considered or checked.

Aside from testing when connected with a physical LAN cable into the modem/router, no matter what your Operating System is or the age of the PC/Laptop hardware, its important to ensure you are using the latest Network Card or Network Chipset Drivers.

Just because you have a PC/Laptop that is s few years old, doesn't mean that there haven't been some Network Card / Network Chipset driver updates that might have been made available from either the hardware vendor or the chipset vendor.

Check with the PC/Laptop vendor website for the specific model you have & for the OS you are running & also check with the Network Card / Chipset website for the same (as sometimes there's no update from the PC/Laptop vendor but one or more may be available from the Chipset / Card vendors website..)

Not saying this will cure any lack of speed issues, but its usually best to ensure you've checked your specific Network Card / Chip drivers & are using the latest ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I know this might sound obvious & has probably been done by anyone who has speed issues & is running speed tests etc... The following is one of several things that should be considered or checked.

Aside from testing when connected with a physical LAN cable into the modem/router, no matter what your Operating System is or the age of the PC/Laptop hardware, its important to ensure you are using the latest Network Card or Network Chipset Drivers.

Just because you have a PC/Laptop that is s few years old, doesn't mean that there haven't been some Network Card / Network Chipset driver updates that might have been made available from either the hardware vendor or the chipset vendor.

Check with the PC/Laptop vendor website for the specific model you have & for the OS you are running & also check with the Network Card / Chipset website for the same (as sometimes there's no update from the PC/Laptop vendor but one or more may be available from the Chipset / Card vendors website..)

Not saying this will cure any lack of speed issues, but its usually best to ensure you've checked your specific Network Card / Chip drivers & are using the latest ones.

I think the even more basic thing to double check, is your wired ethernet port is capable of 1gig connection, so as such will breach 100mb on a speed test. I have already had 1 mate with an XPS laptop, which only had 100 speed card and can't achieve 120mb result. Same goes for the Xbox360 which only has 100mb lan card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only getting 80 instead of 120, this is not on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I was downloading a 10gb file from newsnet and was getting a rock steady 150mb speed!!!!

2035885967.png

Advertisement