Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has UPC increased the speed for the 100MB

2»

Comments

Only getting 80 instead of 120, this is not on!

Change your network card to 1Gbps and cat 6 cable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have both of those. although not sure if it's a 5e in atm, which should work anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

who_me wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

They obviously changed something, since I went from 30Mb to about 50Mb, and the upload speed is great (Speedtest reports up to 12Mbps, which is more than the max stated), but maybe they put me onto the 50Mbps package by mistake.

Some Older UPC routers can't handle 100mbs . Thats what I was told when UPC sent me out a new N Wireless router about 3mths ago .

Have both of those. although not sure if it's a 5e in atm, which should work anyway?

Are you connected at 1Gbps?
    Tests done on upc speedtest?

The cable probably isn't too important but i get 127mb with cat 6 & 1 Gpbs Nic.(brand new)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Bit off topic .. Just got a call from a Vodafone Agent saying I was a loyal customer until last year and would I return.

My short Q was could vodafone give me 63.5mbs and the answer was no , In fact I think Max ASDL speed is circa 50mb . Felt sorry for the man as he is probably sick of hearing the oposition has stuffed them goodo !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

who_me wrote: »
    Really? Mine is a 2.66GHz dual-core i7, surely that should be enough?

I tried testing from Windows within a VM (I'm booted into OS X, I wanted to see if it was a Mac specific problem), and the first test on speedtest.upc.ie yielded 75Mbps.. and then all subsequent tests in the 40s.

Which is a bit irrelevant, since in real life, I'm getting 15-20Mbps, exactly what I was getting before the paid upgrade.

Yes really. An i7... I would have thought wouldn't be a problem, but I would still do a double check, by literally doubling the test and trying two machines at once by ethernet. Just to be sure.

The problem well could lie somewhere else, but (uncharacteristically) UPC will only end up wasting their own time if you call up about that and the problem is the computer. They sent out I don't know how many guys to look at the problem and all were stumped. I never could tell them in the end because I'm hardly going to call up a Customer Care rep who I've never talked to before and be like "Oh yeah you know the way you sent someone out here to fix our broadband a million times? No? Well you did. It was our computer, just thought you'd like to know for future reference." Somehow I don't think the people who need to know would ever get the message :rolleyes:

One of the guys tested the connection on a netbook he brought (so you can imagine the results did not improve). I can't blame him: I never considered my computer could be limiting the speed and I'm no noob. The issue isn't necessarily just the hardware. There's a lot of layers of software it has to pass through before it can reach the destination, which could slow it down.

Afterwards I found out using Linux on the same laptop would result in significantly slower wireless speeds, but on wire it could get much much closer to the 100Mb/s (I think it reached 88 or something like that)

Also a VM wouldn't be a way to test that I would advise. Testing it with Windows is all well and good but a VM no matter how efficient will still at overhead. Try getting some small Linux live USB. You probably won't be able to use a speedtest (cause practically no distributions come with flash or Java, and the odds of some Live USB coming with them are probably even smaller) but you can use it to do a test download from a company with speeds that are guaranteed to be reliable (Microsoft, Apple and Google would be the best bets).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks for the suggestions! The Ethernet in my laptop and my (old) desktop are 1Gbps. I don't know if the cable is Cat 5/5e/6, but I am getting 80Mbps+ on local file transfers so they're hardly the limiting factor. They're both Macs, so the drivers are bundled with the OS.

I'll give them a call later. I'm sure they'll say "if you're getting 50Mbps on speedtest.upc.ie and max. 20Mbps when browsing, it must be whatever site you're viewing that's slow". Never mind that I should be getting 100Mbps on that speedtest.

Yes really. An i7... I would have thought wouldn't be a problem, but I would still do a double check, by literally doubling the test and trying two machines at once by ethernet. Just to be sure.

Also a VM wouldn't be a way to test that I would advise. Testing it with Windows is all well and good but a VM no matter how efficient will still at overhead. Try getting some small Linux live USB. You probably won't be able to use a speedtest (cause practically no distributions come with flash or Java, and the odds of some Live USB coming with them are probably even smaller) but you can use it to do a test download from a company with speeds that are guaranteed to be reliable (Microsoft, Apple and Google would be the best bets).

Thanks. That's one thing I haven't tried, running a download simultaneously on both the laptop and desktop, I'll try that this evening. I have noticed if I run two (or more) downloads simultaneously, I typically get a higher total speed than I get with just one download running; but that's a different scenario.

On the VM, I only tried it to see if it offered poorer performance (if the problem was the PC performance), but it was similar speedtest results, and almost identical download speeds. The actual download speeds on laptop, VM on laptop, and desktop are all very similar, maxing out at about 20Mbps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Are you connected at 1Gbps?
    Tests done on upc speedtest?

The cable probably isn't too important but i get 127mb with cat 6 & 1 Gpbs Nic.(brand new)

Ah I forgot my 16 port switch is 100 meg :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I did a speed test on UPC and speedtest.net and I got 17.33mbps and 17.46mbps , Im on 100mb allegedly...

Im using a 6 year old laptop with wireless connection.

Got 23.21 using iphone with speedtest.net

• Advertisement

2qk4u wrote: »
    I did a speed test on UPC and speedtest.net and I got 17.33mbps and 17.46mbps , Im on 100mb allegedly...

Im using a 6 year old laptop with wireless connection.

Got 23.21 using iphone with speedtest.net

As said above, you're probably not getting the most out of your package as it stands. A 6 year old laptop won't have wireless N, meaning the theoretical max is either 108 or more likely 54Mbps. And that's only theoretical; the actual bandwidth is more likely to be 15-20Mbps. So your internet connection is being slowed down dramatically by your laptop's connection to the router!

The iPhone has N (though not the typically faster 5GHz mode) so the slightly faster speed there is about right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC seem to have destabilised their network with this widespead upgrade.

Nobody appears to be getting faster UPLOAD speeds or they would have shown up in the Netindex speed tests. and the network has been crashing for the last few days, locally and citywide.

If you have a stable 100mbits do not powercycle that box and if it goes unstable then powercycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I got speed close to 135mbs earlier but for the moment;

2036466377.png

Pings are erratic though...

Yup, you obviously have something wrong with your connection, UPC might not have activated your 100MB. Get onto them.

Ok, got onto them today. I was all geared up for an argument, but they were very helpful. They readily accepted the speedtest results weren't good enough and when they checked they found a power problem on the line, and a technician is coming out next week.

On the other issue (laptop & iPad no longer connecting to any sites despite a perfect Wifi signal), they logged onto my router and changed the channel to 11. (Is that some magic number? There are a few Wifi networks within range on channel 11 so I'd prefer to use a unique channel. Also turned off 40MHz channels. Still it's working so far, so I'll leave it be).

Enough of my thread hijacking sorry. Looking forward to 100(+?) Mbps!

Advertisement