Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Eircom should be in the Midband forum

• 24-06-2012 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

2026274568.png

This is what UPC are now providing and one might think I am saying UPC is great I am not.

This is becoming the norm and making excuses for Eircom is no longer on.
    Eircom was sold and resold with shareholders getting payoffs while the customers got shafted this is the reality of the situation.

Even some small ISPs are leaving Eircom for dead look at this ISP Cablesurf Broadband Dungarvan.
    mha5o6.jpg

Also Magnet fiber to home.
    lvbkl.jpg

This board wisely put the so called mobile Broadband into a new Mid band section to stop people being fooled into thinking it was real Broadband.

This is quite common for Eircom in the speedtest thread.2uikcp2.jpg

Even when Eircom does supply the advertised speed look at this pack for €40 and its usage limit.
    swuu87.jpg

UPC provide 500Gig on all packs Magnet fiber to home is unlimited as is Cablesurf in Waterford.

I know DSL 2 or whatever it is called can take speeds up to 24Meg but ASDL 1 is a complete joke and as you can see from some of the speed tests along with the usage limits and it's inflated price it rightly belongs in the Mid Band section.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just so people know.

1. Eircom have c.1200 exchanges.
    2. 930 - 940 of the c 1200 exchanges have ADSL1 'up to' 8mbits. Some only 3mbit max.
    3 Of the 930-940 around 400 have been upgraded to ADSL2+ 'up to' 24mbits under the Ngb marketing exercise. Some only supply 8 mbits max owing to equipment constraints.

Finally OUT of the 400 out of 1200 exchanges that were upgraded to ADSL2 eircom intend to further upgrade around 100 of them to FTTx and will not upgrade more than 200 of them. 1 in 6 or thereabouts.

Do remember that eircom still haven't completed their ADSL1 Upgrade Program announced in April 2007 . So don't hang around in anticipation. :(

This does not paint a very optimistic picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Will midband was originally for mobile which can't deliver the real broadband experience which is a limitation on the technology not the operator.

I think Eircoms equipment can deliver real broadband so you can't put it in midband forum. It is a bad broadband service but still broadband imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Midband isn't all about speed, latency, type of connection and pitiful usage limit (restrictive) are what define midband. Dsl is broadband as it's low latency, is always on and has a generous download limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When the average smartphone is faster than you. you're midband. Agree with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 vogel

Eircoms DSL broadband is almost universally pitiful, but it can't be called midband.

The sad truth is there are large areas in this country that would sell their children for 3 meg broadband from Eircom for what they have to currently put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It seems to be the 80 20 rule then, 80% of Eircom customers are experiencing 20% of their expected bandwidth while 20% experience 80% of their bandwidth. You know, I bet you could say the same for mobile broadband. I just turned off wifi on my phone and did a speedtest, 6M down and 3M up.
    I agree with the OP or else it's time to move mobile broadband out of the midband classification and into the broadband classification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't VAT 23% now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

SickBoy wrote: »
    It seems to be the 80 20 rule then, 80% of Eircom customers are experiencing 20% of their expected bandwidth while 20% experience 80% of their bandwidth. You know, I bet you could say the same for mobile broadband. I just turned off wifi on my phone and did a speedtest, 6M down and 3M up.
    I agree with the OP or else it's time to move mobile broadband out of the midband classification and into the broadband classification.

Mobile will never be broadband, even next gen. The speed you see is the speed everyone on that sector shares. As it's mobile the speeds cannot be guaranteed or controlled, the only way it can be controlled is to stop people connecting (which would stop it being mobile). The latency on mobile is too high for anything in realtime, VoIP, gaming etc where you need sub 50ms ping time for these to be optimal. Also, what good is 6mbit download if the usage limit is as little as 10-15Gb per month (both up and down), you'd eat that up in a few hours. These limits are there to restrict usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hisoka Ferie

Personally, we're paying for 1GB of internet and they highest speed we've ever gotten is 32mb/s like on the image. Granted that we are on the peripheral edge of their range but still, if you're not getting the speeds that you're paying for then why are you charged for it?

It should, in my opinion, not advertise to be Broadband if it can't provide that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally, we're paying for 1GB of internet ...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

you can't really compare to UPC and Magnets fibre infrastructure to Eircom's DSL infrastruture.

Thats like comparing a boat with a bus.. they both provide a method of transport but one is slower than the other... and use different methods of actually transporting you there....

silly OP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Nemeses wrote: »
    you can't really compare to UPC and Magnets fibre infrastructure to Eircom's DSL infrastruture.

Thats like comparing a boat with a bus.. they both provide a method of transport but one is slower than the other... and use different methods of actually transporting you there....

silly OP..

I agree you can not compare them that is why I think Eircom does not belong in the Broadband forum.

And it is not like a boat and a bus more like a skateboard and a high speed Maglev train.:D

Advertisement