Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you really need a magazine on your centrefire?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on using magazines in rifles, I was looking at a custom rifle on another forum where the owner had a .223 varmint rifle made without a magazine; basically it was single shot, he said he had no requirement for a magazine as he rarely needed a follow on shot and if he did all he need do was slip one off the cartridge holder on the butt and chamber the round.

I was in a situation today where I was picking off foxes in a field I hadn't the mag fully loaded and had to shoot a couple of foxes a second time, I was reloading from the cartridge holder on the but straight into the chamber with no problems.

It just seems to me the amount of ****ing around I do with the rifle simply isn't worth it at times, unloading the round, removing the magazine, replacing the round in the magazine there is simply less to do with a single shot and less chances of something going wrong.

For hunting dangerous game magazines are essential but around here they're not really.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

You have a point there alright, but there are situations where a quick reload is necessary, and it's for those that I like to have a magazine. A magazine is more suitable for me also because I can't put a cartridge holder on the butt because of the adjustable cheekpiece on my rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

For a hunting rifle I would prefer a magazine of some type every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I prefer a mag, one situation that springs to mind is lamping, if your lying out of the shine off the light and need a quick followip shot or second shot for another fox it might be difficult and i you drop a round it would feck ya right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

We have an old remington model 33 single shot .22 which was the first gun i ever used and i never realised how handy a magazine fed rifle is until we got a cz 452, if you missed or had a second rabbit to fire at the hassle of putting another round into the chamber was so much hassl, and it put me off single shots but with a cf rifle it would be a lot easier to reload as the round and action are bigger compared to the little fiddly .22 action but i still think i'll never own another single shot gun, why limit yourself when there are so many multishot guns to choose from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I hunted foxes for years with a new england single shot .22 hornet, never had an issue with it ,i don't recall ever being stuck for a second shot. I have just bought a ruger no.1 falling block single shot rifle, i have every intention of hunting deer and foxes with it. if you're worried about your second shot maybe you shouldn't be taking the first shot ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQzPwg6jJ4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Dealer's choice probably, however they are designed for the bolt to strip a round off the magazine, and generally the rifles should be used as designed. For me, with a well made rifle, its just as easy to put one in the mag and close the bolt.

One minor consideration. The best place to store the magazine is in the rifle to prevent misplacing it, in case you want to sell rifle someday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Personally, I'd rather a magazine for most purposes, though I reckon it's not typically going to be a problem, and if all I had was a single shot I'd still kill whatever I wanted. I think single shots like the Ruger rowa mentioned above are absolutely gorgeous and I'd have one just because it's beautiful, but it's not the utility tool a more typical sporting rifle is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd happily run a single shot centrefire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If its there why not have it?? Better to have and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I feel if you are out hunting,you should have multiple shots in the mag as no matter how perfect you belive that shot is going to be placed,it can still go astray and fiddling around with a reload is not going to assure a clean kill.
    Single shots are fine for target rifles where the paper isnt going to run away from you.:)
    My 2cents.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

There is an option on the CZ rifle to put in a dummy mag. which makes the gun a single shot.
    You do have the option of switching back to mag. feed then, with a single shot rifle you have eliminated that option.

For some competitions, like gallery rifle, the mag is a must.
    Some competitions are just for single shots.

For sniping bunnies, it's nice to have but not essential (especially with rabbit numbers around my way :( )

I like the looks of some single shots like the Ruger and the "Quigley" rifle.
    ShilohQuigley_small.gif

http://www.eabco.com/Sharps03.htm

For me, a hunting rifle should have the option of a quick follow up shot, in case Mr. Murphy shows up. If a mag. or a second barrel accomplishes that, happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I'd rather have one just so that the follow-up shot is there if needed. Personally,I think it's irresponsible to rely on a single shot when hunting. I'm not doubting your abilities lad,but sometimes **** happens and by the time you've reloaded,an animal could be wounded and in the trees,and left to suffer a long painful death. I think that if your only worry when you're out hunting is loading or unloading your mag,then your day is going pretty damn good;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd prefer a magazine fed rifle for the simple reason that I can't think of a safer and more convenient way to store a few rounds of ammo than in a nice practically closed box that's always ready to hand when you need that second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

rowa wrote: »
    if you're worried about your second shot maybe you shouldn't be taking the first shot ?

You should always be ready to take a second shot. The first thing you should do when you fire a shot is put a round in the chamber in-case the animal gets up or runs wounded.

No one is perfect, and sometimes even perfect shots need a follow up shot if the animal goes too far.

Id prefer to have a magazine.. dont see the advantage of having to open the bolt and insert a new bullet in the chamber and then close the bolt instead of just cycling the bolt once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Ive seen guys feed single shot rifles fast, with a little practice .
    Mags are handy but not a must for hunting ,imo!

Advertisement