Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Psychics Live Discussion Thread 2 *** Read Post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The usage of stock photos was a temporary measure while the operators awaited suitable photographs of all the psychics. This has now been addressed.
    I'm pretty sure it hasn't been addressed.. they still have stock photos for a number of psychics, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Basq wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it hasn't been addressed.. they still have stock photos for a number of psychics, right?

I feel not one of my complaints have been addressed correctly by TV3. Joke Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sofa King wrote: »
    I feel not one of my complaints have been addressed correctly by TV3. Joke Shop.

Also, were the stock photos paid for or were they used without permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Lads, keep your names on your complaints to yourselves, we know rightly tv3 or whoever is watching this thread.

Oh hai TV3!!!!

W*nkerz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Big shoutout to Ben Frow and Maureen Catterson over in Ballymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Neilos wrote: »
    Dear ******,

Thank you for your complaint.

Psychic Readings Live meets all regulatory requirements for a service of this nature, from both the broadcasting and telecommunications regulators. The broadcast is clearly identified as an Entertainment Service at all times and such notification is in accordance with BAI regulation.

The problem with what TV3 is saying is that the people who are vulnerable to this stuff don't see it as entertainment, to them it is real and they ignore anything that might disrupt their hope that these "psychics" might be able to give them a positive message or a bit of solace.

We might be having a bit of a laugh because this is terribly produced kitsch tv but at the same time, its mostly older vulnerable people that are being exploited, TV3 should be ashamed at allowing this trash to be aired.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

jsemple wrote: »
    /!\ WAYNES BACK TOMORROW /!\

Sue has been MIA the last 3 nights at least I think?

Wayne is back :eek: :eek: Damn!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭squonk

One additional detail in my particular reply is that TV3 say
    Any callers who seem to be particularly distressed or vulnerable are provided with the helpline numbers of organisations that may be in a position to assist them after the on-air call.

How can it be verified that this is the case? I don't particularly like this response. The nature of the callers means taht confidentiality rightly has to be respected, it also makes it very difficult to prove that this is indeed true.

It's a question of faith, and I don't have enough faith in either TV3 or, more particularly Telemedia, to believe that they make every effort to do the right thing.

Look at it this way, if they were doing their job fully, we would rarely get a vulnerable or disturbed person on air. Call screening would see them put in contact with a reputable service long before they ever met with a psychic. How much information is also being given? Are they being told, for instance, "Please stay on the line caller" while Telemedia themselves dial out to, for instance, the Samaritans and connect the caller, or is it merely "Well caller, it appears we can't help you but we would recommend you contact the Samaritans when you can".

Was there any similar situation in the Play TV days and how was that handled? I would imagine the PlayTV scenario would have been less exposed to those suffering from depression, bereavement or general sadness, fear or hopelessness.

Actually, on re-reading my letter again, it appears that it is my worst case scenario that is happening i.e. "Here's the samaritans number for you caller". That's absolutely monstrous. Ringing a psychic to make your troubles go away is in no way comparable to ringing a help organisation which requires you to admit to yourself that you've a problem in the first place. Dear God!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jsemple

There is no way that show where they did the Money Candle for 2 hours can be spun as an entertainment service. They just took people's name and ages (sometimes incorrectly) , wrote them on a candle, said cheerio and got charged 2.44euro a minute for the pleasure.

Not to mention the numerous other callers who sound extremely depressed and who are ringing in about serious issues. If every caller sounded all cheerful and asked questions like 'what does my future hold' or 'will I meet mr. right' then fair enough maybe you could get away with it. If they cared at all about vulnerable people as soon as one rang in they would point them in the direction of someone who could actually help them because that's what they need, help. They wouldn't give them empty promises and insincere sympathy interweaved with an obligatory 'in my opinion' for legal reasons.

They do the bare minimum at following these rules. I've never heard a psychic say the show is an entertainment service, I've never heard them state the cost of a call. We've had plenty of rhetoric about how special their gifts are or how you'll have untold riches if you have your name written on this candle.

The other interesting thing about that night was in the entire 2 hours I think Flathan made a passing mention of the other available psychics twice which just strengthened my belief that the majority of the show's revenues come from people holding on for 2.44e/minute to have a small chance of getting through to the studio. I don't see how they can get away with not showing call volumes.

Did you guys send complaints via an email or using the webform?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

they aren't using stock images anymore, they actually appear to be taking the images off doctors websites, facebook, etc and using them on their site.

I know that people from TV3/telemedia interact TV are probably reading this so I won't post here.

Could I have an invite to that private fourm? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭brian_t

I've done a search and found no mention of it so apologies if another poster has referenced it before but Psychic Readings Live now has it's own Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_Readings_Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

brian_t wrote: »
    I've done a search and found no mention of it so apologies if another poster has referenced it before but Psychic Readings Live now has it's own Wikipedia entry.

Whoever did that page can't spell Flathan properly, very poor.
    The series is fronted by three presenters: Sue Hudd, Erik and Countess Nadia Starella, who each claim to possess psychic powers. They are backed up by a team of alleged off-screen clairvoyants. Previous presenters have included Psychic Wayne and Flatham, both of who left within weeks of the show's debut. Psychic Wayne was the first to leave, followed by Flatham, who announced his departure on 4 July 2012. Erik - Star Psychic made his presenting debut the following day, on 5 July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Did they not use a spell checker?

Skid wrote: »
    Whoever did that page can't spell Flathan properly, very poor.

If you look in the View History tab his Name was recently corrected twice on the page but they missed a third mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I didnt write that article if anyone is wondering esp with my spelling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Did they not use a spell checker?

Spellchecker wouldn't work with Flathans name - word suggested to be used was Fla than :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Netziens

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    Lads, keep your names on your complaints to yourselves, we know rightly tv3 or whoever is watching this thread.

I have no issue with them knowing I'm here and that I've complained. Its thanks to boards.ie that this joke of a show has got the negative response it deserves.

Call from last night when will i die

Jerry's energy is soo strong he's cut off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Do these people like Starella actually take it serious?

The look on her face in the last video with Jerry was so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

Oh Jaysus... Just seen an Erik video for the first time.. Don't think he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

spookwoman wrote: »
    Call from last night when will i die

Ah I stopped listening with 49 seconds to go. She looks dreadful recently, pale and tired. Can't be good for a woman of her age.
    I do wonder do they believe their own tripe. Really like?!

On the complaints side of it I'm not sure (and I am by no means educated in legalese or scouring of t&c's) but I'd be surprised if there is any technical reason to get the show pulled. Like "technically" they've ticked the boxes as outlined in their responses (entertainment service yada yada yada) but "morally" this is where they fall down-like it's entertainment to someone who is in the correct frame of mind but to someone vulnerable then they take it quite seriously.
    Would that hold up with the BAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Basq wrote: »

Complete bullshìt, they've replaced a number of stock photos with "real" pictures that appear on dating sites and bot accounts on Facebook. Within a minute I found 5 pictures changed to "real" bullshìt ones.

It's great to see that they think they're getting away with this unnoticed.

EDIT: I've noticed, going back through my findings on the old thread that they changed / removed the profiles. However, they still have some of the same profiles plus their stock pictures, they just gave them new URLS so my links don't point to them anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Woohoo!

Can't wait for tonight. I just I hope I can stay awake after a load of vodka.

I still think this show is a disgrace and should be taken off air immediately and all that, but while it is still on air could they please move it to an earlier timeslot so I could get some sleep?

Neilos wrote: »
    The service is for 18+ only and is broadcast late at night so it is evidently for an adult only audience.
    Skid wrote: »
    Could they please move it to an earlier timeslot so I could get some sleep?

Agent provocateur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I too got a token response that dealt with done of my complaints. To the BAI it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

From that wiki page Flathan is gone? :eek:

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    From that wiki page Flathan is gone? :eek:

Never believe wikipedia.

But he is gone, he 'might' be back at some point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement