Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Psychics Live Discussion Thread 2 *** Read Post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

squonk wrote: »
    Probably will, but it was fairly obvious they were going to try that one even last week. I'm assuming I'm going to get this as a reply after my complaint earlier.

Maybe we should draw up a gameplan next so we're all on the same page. Something like 'So you've gotten your stock TV3 reply... here's what to do next'.

I wasn't involved in the PlayTV campaign so I don't know what happened at that stage.
    Back in the day once you had your stock reply from TV3 you simply told the BAI you were not happy with the reply and the complaint then moved on to the formal stage where the BAI compliance committee watched the show and made their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

spookwoman wrote: »
    TV3 getting worried me thinks after journal.ie article

Do you have a linky, im on the phone so its a PITA to search, as internet is as slow as christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do you have a linky, im on the phone so its a PITA to search, as internet is as slow as christmas.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tvs-psychic-wayne-readings-infomercial-keith-barry-numbers-pictures-499128-Jun2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

Back in the day once you had your stock reply from TV3 you simply told the BAI you were not happy with the reply and the complaint then moved on to the formal stage where the BAI compliance committee watched the show and made their decision.

I thought that was how things still worked? I still have to get in contact with the BAI when I'm, as I expect, am going to be incredibly dissatisfied with TV3's response, don't I?

I see elsewhere on the Journal's article a clause saying, to paraphrase, the broadcaster's only responsibility is to broadcast the program, the producer's only responsibility is to produce the program and neither party are going to be in any way responsible for any of the S*H*I*T that happens because of the program.

Bloody awful!!! A serious hole kicking needs to be dished out really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

What are most people using as grounds for complaint when writing to TV3? Was gonna write them an essay long rant, but I figure a short complaint with a few links to our different bits of evidence would probably suffice just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What are most people using as grounds for complaint when writing to TV3? Was gonna write them an essay long rant, but I figure a short complaint with a few links to our different bits of evidence would probably suffice just as well.

I have copy and pasted issues that may arise during the course of Psychics Live from the BAI's Communications Code.

Link to the full code is below

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/General-Commercial-Communications-Code.pdf
    Commercial Communications Code:

All commercial communications shall be legal, honest, decent, truthful and protect the interests of the audience.

Surreptitious, subliminal and misleading commercial communications are prohibited.

All pertinent details of an offer contained in a commercial communication shall be stated in a clear and understandable manner. Disclaimers and asterisked or footnoted information included/required in commercial communications shall not contradict more prominent aspects of the message and shall be located and presented in such a manner as to be clearly visible and/or audible.

Broadcasters shall be mindful of the potential for sound effects in commercial communications to distract and/or alarm viewers and listeners. Particular care shall be taken when including sound effects such as sirens, horns, ringing phones and screeching tyres. They shall not be included at the beginning of a commercial communication.

Transparancy

Commercial communications shall operate on a principle of transparency. Any commercial arrangement within programming shall be readily recognisable as such and the listener/viewer shall be made aware of such an arrangement.

Commercial communications may make use of testimonials. Such testimonials shall be genuine, relevant and contemporary and shall relate to the person giving the testimonial. Documentary evidence of testimonials shall be available to the broadcaster.

Commercial communications shall not describe products or services as „free‟ unless the products or services are supplied at no cost or at no extra cost (other than actual postage or carriage) to the recipient.

Compliance

Broadcasters must observe the provisions of the Code.

General Rules

The general principles and rules pertaining to all commercial communications shall apply to advertising and teleshopping.

Interactive Advertising

Interactive advertising shall not bring the viewer/listener immediately/directly to products or services that are advertised. Viewers/listeners shall be warned by appropriate means that they are about to enter a commercial interactive environment not governed by this Code. This shall be done via a two step process whereby the viewer/listener shall be able to access the interactive content only after the second step.

8.10 Fortune Tellers, Psychic Services etc.
    1. Commercial communications for fortune tellers, psychic services etc., are acceptable where the service is evidently for entertainment purposes only and this is made clear in the communication.
    2. Claims that future events may be predicted, other than as a matter of opinion, are not permitted.
    3. Claims to make contact with deceased persons are not permitted.
    4. Claims pertaining to matters of health, cures, curing and/or healing are not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Drafting out my complaint now. I'm putting emphasis on Flathan's "you will have a fire in your flat and move with a stranger to Asia" statement. To be honest I think there is a BAI ruling in that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheFreshPrince

Septic Wayne seems to have deleted his facebook profile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭spookwoman

cristoir wrote: »
    Drafting out my complaint now. I'm putting emphasis on Flathan's "you will have a fire in your flat and move with a stranger to Asia" statement. To be honest I think there is a BAI ruling in that alone.

Not to mention he asked her did she have house insurance, then told her the insurance would pay for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

To be honest before last night I did wonder if we had any grounds for complaint. Sue shot herself in the foot by saying there were no waits, the lines were clear etc. Surely they can't get away with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lads, we need to be factual in any complaints to TV3/BAI. They need to be well written with no emotive language used.

doing up my own blog with a listing of the times calls came in, no names mentioned etc just the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

A spokesperson for the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland told TheJournal.ie that it has not received any complaints about Psychic Readings Live, but that complaints of this nature are usually directed to the broadcaster and then forwarded onto the BAI within 30 days.

That might change by the end of the week methinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

anyone remember this ....

CAR CRASH TV
    BIMBOS

did that actually air? wtf on several levels, that's just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

RGDATA! wrote: »
    did that actually air? wtf on several levels, that's just crazy.

Yes, unfortunately It actually did!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Still there for me!

Still there but no activity since friday. deleted the posts. flathan is blank

Basq wrote: »

Im getting Page Not Found. Must have blocked me. In other news, Dara O'Briain has tweeted the Fresh Prince video, and a newspaper has asked would I be willing to have my photo taken with the phonebill.

AwQIQJeCEAAJQxm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yup if the link is dead he's blocked ya. Welcome to the club!

Edit:Also you should definitely pose for a wee photo. But tell 'em it'll cost 200 quid. Dara's so awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jsemple

Wish I was still in Ireland.

Hi to all the former PlayTV stalkers long time no see. I'm sure you guys will get this taken off the air in no time too.

Ill only pose for a photo if they allow me to wear my V mask! And yeah Dara is a legend, nice bit of publicity for the cause too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭squonk

I sincerely hope that playTV unorthodox production moment was part of the con in tthe video and that the two girls really arent that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I sincerely hope that playTV unorthodox production moment was part of the con in tthe video and that the two girls really arent that stupid.

I would say just some mighty fine bad acting to be honest. :(

The jury is out on Derval

Prob a really bad publicity stunt

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

1. Commercial communications for fortune tellers, psychic services etc., are acceptable where the service is evidently for entertainment purposes only and this is made clear in the communication.
    Whilst some people appear to be getting some 'entertainment' value, can that be said of those who are desperately a solution to a real problem?

What would happen if one of those persons was the mother of one of the broadcaster's executive management?

2. Claims that future events may be predicted, other than as a matter of opinion, are not permitted.
    3. Claims to make contact with deceased persons are not permitted.
    4. Claims pertaining to matters of health, cures, curing and/or healing are not permitted.
    2, 3 & 4:
    €2.44/min on or off air, but if you go on air it's a disabled service. (No cures, curing and/or healing I can understand.)

~~~~~~~

...and finally (for now):
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland General Commercial Communications Code.
    (Advertising, teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement and other forms of commercial promotion)
    5. Rules pertaining to specific advertising techniques
    -5. Interactive advertising shall not bring the viewer/listener immediately/directly to products or services that are advertised.
    Viewers/listeners shall be warned by appropriate means that they are about to enter a commercial interactive environment not governed by this Code.
    This shall be done via a two step process whereby the viewer/listener shall be able to access the interactive content only after the second step.
    Does this apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭enigmatiq

Lads, we need to be factual in any complaints to TV3/BAI. They need to be well written with no emotive language used.

Would it be a prudent move to display a copy of the intended submissions in the private group for comment by the members before submission?

So is there anyway to watch this outside Ireland? anyone doing a cheeky illegal restream?

I know not everyone gets though to Wayne but does every caller get through to somebody?

• Advertisement

jsemple wrote: »
    So is there anyway to watch this outside Ireland? anyone doing a cheeky illegal restream?

I know not everyone gets though to Wayne but does every caller get through to somebody?

go to www.aertv.ie/tv3 :) should work for ya

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement