Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen phone; what does the IMEI number block do exactly?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am currently enduring a nightmare involving my phone being stolen by a guy pretending to be hammered in the city centre last night sort of falling into me a couple times. Watch out for this scam btw, he had a mate there as well coming over apologising for how 'drunk' the thief was. They were pretty slippery looking and not Irish and around the harcourt st/portobello area.

To add insult to injury, or to pretty much add both the insult and the injury, i had just cancelled my insurance literally 24 hours before and had already applied for a new better value policy. Not holding out hope of them rushing to cover me now. I am coming to terms with my inner rage and now want to squeeze a tiny drop of satisfaction from knowing that the phone is now totally useless that the IMEI number is blocked. Does anyone know how it works? is the phone still useless even without the SIM? It was a meteor iphone 4s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It blacklists the phone(SIM identifies you, IMEI identifies the handset) but AFAIK its only irish networks, so the scummers could still sell it abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimmy Talons

cheers buddy, sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Two kind of tanned looking guys, maybe Moroccan or Roma? Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago on Leeson Street at around half 3 or 4 in the morning. He managed to get my phone and was going back for my wallet when I noticed. I put him up against the railings until he handed it back and then he got free and legged it down Pembroke Street. I chased after him shouting and got a group of lads to chase him with me but he jumped in a taxi and locked the doors. The taxi driver in his infinite wisdom thought we were trying to kick his head in and drove straight past us, suppose it might have looked that way. Would you recognise them again? They must operate frequently around that area

sounds like the exact two lowlifes griffdaddy, something along those ethnic lines. Moroccan/Algerian i was thinking but could well be Romany. exact same time as well. they are obviously out cruising for potential targets coming home on their own. Not intimidating at all, both small skinny guys. I'm tempted to head down that area this weekend and pretend im alone and pissed and on my iphone. See if i can get a bite. seething i was done by this tbh. normally i would be a real dick to someone that 'pissed' falling into me but for some reason i decided to be tolerant. wont make that mistake again. basically dont let anyone dodge ever put a hand on you. think my phone was in my back pocket as well and they probably saw me putting it in there moments before.

Yeah sounds like them alright. I wouldn't be the biggest of lads but I was still bigger than both of them. I'd say they're at it every Friday/Saturday night to be honest. If you go down to Dame Lane around the Stag's Head and the back of Sweeny's there's always loads of them begging and pick-pocketing drunk people. I'm sure they're down there at some stage during their 'shift.' I'll be keeping an eye out for them anyway, just wish we'd caught that scumbag the other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Man, these ****s robbed my iPhone as well the other night!:mad:

Stumbled into me shouting 'Brasilia..Brasilia' and I just told them get lost. Checked my pocket a few mins later and phone was gone.

I remember exactly what they look like so gonna give them some hiding if I see them again...*****!

They're gonna get caught fairly soon I'd say, probably get beaten half to death after trying the wrong person.

these two ***** have been the catalyst for a spiral of mishaps that is pretty close to sending me postal right now. bout to go michael douglas falling down at this point. if i see these two again i will personally beat them to death with my ****ty 50 euro android.

Advertisement