Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Working Holiday Visa Need a British Passport?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I was looking to apply for an IEC visa with my Irish passport, but it states that I must have lived in Ireland for the last three years, the problem being I haven't lived in Ireland for nearly 14 years, though I was born there... And for the UK version of the IEC visa, I'll obviously need a British passport. So it would seem if I want to apply for the IEC (2013), I'd need to first get a British passport? It just seems a bit silly, and I'd rather avoid having to apply for a British passport if I can...

Anyway, sorry to make this my first post, any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

everything you say is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ericcc

As I suspected, I guess I'll be filling out more application forms then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US/ Canada travel to Living Abroad, which is where living in Canada queries go until we get a separate forum ***

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pete88

Ericcc wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was looking to apply for an IEC visa with my Irish passport, but it states that I must have lived in Ireland for the last three years, the problem being I haven't lived in Ireland for nearly 14 years, though I was born there... And for the UK version of the IEC visa, I'll obviously need a British passport. So it would seem if I want to apply for the IEC (2013), I'd need to first get a British passport? It just seems a bit silly, and I'd rather avoid having to apply for a British passport if I can...

Anyway, sorry to make this my first post, any help is appreciated.

I have the exact same problem except I applied last year I think and I have a British Passport but have lived in Ireland since 1992. I was born in Britain but only lived there until I was four and so when I was trying to fill out the iec visa forms, I would put in all of my Irish education, work and residence history, and then it wouldnt allow me to put in my british pasport but then when i tried to fill out the british pasport I had none of the relevent information. I also think its alot of effort and silly to have to get a different passport for a visa application. Its as if they have just designed the application process around an outdated ideology that people are born and live in that country indefinitely. I ended up travelling there for a few months under the visa waiver programme but could not work. They were also very suspicious of me when i arrived in Vancouver and customs in the airport were wondering why i was the only person out of five irish people with working holiday visas that had come without one. I had to show them dated bank statements and a credit card statement just so they wouldnt think I was trying to work illegally! anyway I hope that you have some luck or can find a means of applying successfully without having to go through all of the hassle of obtaining a new passport. I will let you know if i can find out any info that will help- cheers- pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pete88

silja wrote: »
    *** Moving from US/ Canada travel to Living Abroad, which is where living in Canada queries go until we get a separate forum ***

how do I get to this thread? cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement