Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time tri, swim worries

• 24-06-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

The local triathlon is coming up and I'd like to do it, but I'm worried about my swim, I can swim the distance in the pool, but it's dog slow, 30 mins for 1500m would be the norm, is this just too slow?
    I've swam a lot longer in the pool but I'm terrified of drowning, literally!
    so should I just grow a pair and do it? And tips for not freaking out!
    I will be so happy if I can beat this demom!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

30 minutes for 1500m is fine. You'll be nowhere near last out of the water with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

30 minutes for 1500m is fine. You'll be nowhere near last out of the water with that.

I'm really worried I'll swim off in wrong direction and nobody will notice and I'll end up washed up in wales! Is this possibly? Do they check if every body gets out? I'm actual thinking of bringing an old mobile phone in a sandwich bag just in case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

you'll be fine- 30 mins in kilkee would have put you in the top 300 out of water.. i just did kilkee as my first 1500m open water swim and did 34mins..there will be guys in kayaks watching everyone- just look up every 20strokes to make sure you are going in right direction- DONT bring mobile :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Ok just sign up for two tri's, dear god let them go well!

Advertisement