Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Drumcondra (near the station) to Barrow St/GCD?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just doing a bit of research here as Im moving to Drumcondra in the next few weeks and Im looking at bus/train options to get to work beside Google on Barrow St every day.

Now Im hoping to live around Lower Drumcondra, somewhere near the station so Im looking for info on buses that will take me there...am I right with the No1/No3?

Am interested to see how long the journey would be roughly at peak times? And if this would be a more reliable option than the train?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Not sure, but you could take a train from Drumcondra station to Pearse or Connolly, and get the the Dart to Grand Canal Docks, the station is on Barrow Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Thanks a mil for that! I have all the info on the train and DART :)

There is a commuter train that leaves Drumcondra at 8.34am and gets to GCD at 8.48am. I start work at 9 so Im worried that I would be cutting it tight with this (are these trains usually on time?) although ideally this is what I want to do.

Just looking for some info on the buses as an alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

dashdoll wrote: »

There is a commuter train that leaves Drumcondra at 8.34am and gets to GCD at 8.48am. I start work at 9 so Im worried that I would be cutting it tight with this (are these trains usually on time?) although ideally this is what I want to do.

Irish Rail say, they are ;)

Anyway, they have a Route Planner on the Dublin Bus website, which is quite accurate and has improved, since they launched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

dashdoll wrote: »

Google is literally beside and opposite the GCD DART station so even if your train was a little late you'd still made it on time every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

The number 1 will definitely take you there. I don't think the number 3 bus runs any more though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The number 1 will definitely take you there. I don't think the number 3 bus runs any more though.

Unless the 3's stopped in the last couple of days :confused:

The number 1 thru drumcondra is SUPER irregular. Seems to run about once a month. One of my mates lives in Drumcondra and gets the 3 to work every day in google, so you won't go wrong with it. Takes around 45-60 minutes depending on traffic as far as I know.

Any bus to trinity/d'olier street/college green would be suitable too - it's about half an hours walk from there.

Double check to make sure the train runs from DC to the stop near barrow street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

One thing you have to be wary off when getting the train into Conolly is being stopped on the bridge just before you enter it waiting for a signal to clear. Sometimes could be sitting there for up to ten minutes. Not sure if they're built into the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Hanley wrote: »

The number 1 thru drumcondra is SUPER irregular. Seems to run about once a month. One of my mates lives in Drumcondra and gets the 3 to work every day in google, so you won't go wrong with it. Takes around 45-60 minutes depending on traffic as far as I know.

Any bus to trinity/d'olier street/college green would be suitable too - it's about half an hours walk from there.

Double check to make sure the train runs from DC to the stop near barrow street.

Actually the number 3 stopped a couple of weeks ago. They have changed the route to the number 1 which now runs every 20 / 30 mins.

Getting on at Drumcondra and getting off at the Ringsend Road should take about 30 mins but again you have to allow for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hanley wrote: »
    The 1, 2 & 3 have been merged as the 1. The 11, 13, 16 and 44 (best) are alternatives, but not great.

Realistically, get one train earlier and you should be fine. You can get there at 0838, 0848 or 0856 - the Irish Rail Planner is too cautious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The 3's gone? That's mad ted.

Got the bus a load in the last few weeks, coulda swore I saw a 3 and no 1s. Hmph!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 1 does not operate from North of Parnell Square before 09:00.

Therefore you need to get from Drumcondra to Parnell Square and change.

As Victor says - train might be handier.

Advertisement