Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fas health care assistant traineeship or plc pre-nursing studies?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have applied for PLC pre nursing studies courses as I would like to work in a hospital/nursing home as an assistant or possiby try and get into a BSc Hons general nursing course at 3rd level if my results were good enough, but I also have been looking at a course that FAS are offering, health care assistant traineeship, and I was wondering if I should apply for this as well? are there the same opportunities to progress to 3rd level from this course as there are from the PLC nursing studies courses?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Its a few years since I looked into it, but the pre-nursing course offered at Colaiste Dhulaigh allows for a certain number of students to gain entry to the Nursing course at DCU if they receive a certain number of distinctions. A FAS HCA course does offer that afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would imagine both courses are quite similar, the health care assistant course is generally aimed towards people who are already working in a hospital/nursing home/as a carer though. The link below lists the places on nursing courses which are reserved for FETAC applicants it doesn't specify which ones so I assume each course is different. http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/FETACNursingQuota.pdf

UCD for example - https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/fetac.ezc#DN450 state that both nursing studies and healthcare support will make you eligible. It probably varies from one instituition to another though. Not sure if you can work in nursing homes etc on nursing studies but you can with healthcare support so with the experience that would bring you may be better off with healthcare support if it gives you more scope to advance or give you an option to still gain employment if you don't manage to get a place on a nursing course.

Advertisement