Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean pre Italy game

• 24-06-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭

McClean not a happy chap after Trap named team to face Italy - left hotel apparently. Hunt another one not too pleased by it all.

Whatever about Hunt, but McClean's behaviour a tad ridiculous - regardless of whether he should actually feature in that team; that's no way to carry on.
    He was lucky to be there, and has a great future in an Ireland shirt but at 23 years of age and after one decent half season in the PL it doesn't give you the authority to act as he has. What a tool.

https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/216883176449130496

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Newcastle fan in dig at Sunderland player shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »

What's your opinion on what McClean said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Haven't mentioned anything about Sunderland, have I?

Ironic, coming from you, mind. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah because you never **** stir in the nufc superthread. :rolleyes:

Also, he's right. Terrible attitude if true(even if it is a touch understandable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How do we know it was McClean who walked out and didn't just follow Hunt? I'd be mightily pissed off if I was in that dressing room after Trap and the teams pathetic performance throughout the tournament and his stubbornness to change even the smallest thing to do with the system and instead just hope for a bit of luck while the likes of Modric, Alonso and Xavi have free reign in the centre of midfield.

That's not to say they wouldn't have done us in anyway but the amount of space they were given there was suicidal and we seen against Italy when Pirlo had his worst game of the tournament what a bit of pressure can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We, as the ignorant public, have no idea what went on behind closed doors so I wouldn't be too quick to judge McClean as a entitled little upstart. Anything could have happened. Maybe he feels playing the same 11 that got beaten in the last two games and in our last game is unfair to the squad? Maybe he had previously been promised a start? It wouldn't be the first time Trap has shafted a member of the squad at the last minute. And while that is certainly a managers prerogative, it's fair to feel pissed off if you were lied to.

There could be a number of reasons. Frankly I would feel annoyed if the I got taken to tournament and got little game time. Long, Gibson, Hunt and Mcclean saw little to no gametime. Why not start them for our last game? I don't buy that whole Italian conspiracy crap. The manager has the right to play who he wants and shouldn't have to select his team because of what people might say.

It should stay behind closed doors. Show some professionalism ffs. We're not the bloody Dutch or French.

Like I said, I understand his frustration, it should be left out of the public though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kirby wrote: »
    We, as the ignorant public, have no idea what went on behind closed doors so I wouldn't be too quick to judge McClean as a entitled little upstart. Anything could have happened. Maybe he feels playing the same 11 that got beaten in the last two games and in our last game is unfair to the squad? Maybe he had previously been promised a start? It wouldn't be the first time Trap has shafted a member of the squad at the last minute. And while that is certainly a managers prerogative, it's fair to feel pissed off if you were lied to.

There could be a number of reasons. Frankly I would feel annoyed if the I got taken to tournament and got little game time. Long, Gibson, Hunt and Mcclean saw little to no gametime. Why not start them for our last game? I don't buy that whole Italian conspiracy crap. The manager has the right to play who he wants and shouldn't have to select his team because of what people might say.
    Additionally, it's the Sunday Mirror. Wouldn't surprise me if it was rather sensationalist/blown out of proportion.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Moneymaker wrote: »
    We're not the bloody Dutch or French.
    yeah, we might have gotten some points if we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Liam O wrote: »

Dutch had 0 points after 3 games. Jokes are funnier when they are accurate :p

• Advertisement

Like the Dutch did? Like France did when they spat their dummies out and surrendered pitifully last night?

Kirby wrote: »
    Dutch had 0 points after 3 games. Jokes are funnier when they are accurate :p

which is why I said "might"...

Like the Dutch did? Like France did when they spat their dummies out and surrendered pitifully last night?
    if France was a pitiful surrender I shudder to think what you'd class Ireland's performance against Spain as...

if France was a pitiful surrender I shudder to think what you'd class Ireland's performance against Spain as...

They weren't good enough. Gulf in class. They tried their hearts out. France didn't try a leg.

They weren't good enough. Gulf in class. They tried their hearts out. France didn't try a leg.

There was a gulf in class, but ultimately a huge gulf in tactics too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

TBH looking at the demeanor of Walters and Cox after the Spain game you do get the impression something was not right in the camp. Walters said in public he did not know what he was suppose to do when he came on the pitch. When asked what he was suppose to do when brought on he said "I don't know really, you'd have to ask the manager that":confused:

Also malcontention amongst the wingers would explain the throwing on of strikers as subs instead.

The whole thing seems to have been completely chaotic.

That doesn't mean the players didn't make the effort.

Whether or not you agree with the manager is irrelevant, you air your grievances in private and stay professional about it. Undermining the manager isn't the way to get more gametime or stay in his good books. We know what happens to players who clash with Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That doesn't mean the players didn't make the effort.

Whether or not you agree with the manager is irrelevant, you air your grievances in private and stay professional about it. Undermining the manager isn't the way to get more gametime or stay in his good books. We know what happens to players who clash with Trap.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is starting to look very bad for the management, especially Trapattoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This thread is easy:

if James McClean threw a strop because he wasn't selected in an eleven he can **** off. Should be dropped for the next campaign - same goes for ANY player doing similar. Behave and tow the line or sit at home imo.

If true, bye bye Mc Clean from the Irish squad under Trap and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tried their hearts out my hole. There were performances from that game from Irish players you wouldn't tolerate at u-12 level. Not going into names but the only person with any decent amount of credit from the Spain game and the whole campaign in general is Andrews.

I'd rather they paid attention and focused than tried their hearts out. Total nonsense of an attitude. They deserve to be torn apart by the management for how they played and dropped accordingly.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This thread is easy:

if James McClean threw a strop because he wasn't selected in an eleven he can **** off. Should be dropped for the next campaign - same goes for ANY player doing similar. Behave and tow the line or sit at home imo.

Agreed but some of the comments labelled at McClean (JOS referred to him as being very quiet. Another reporter said something similar) don't add up to this story. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if that article is all there is to go on.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Tried their hearts out my hole. There were performances from that game from Irish players you wouldn't tolerate at u-12 level. Not going into names but the only person with any decent amount of credit from the Spain game and the whole campaign in general is Andrews.

I'd rather they paid attention and focused than tried their hearts out. Total nonsense of an attitude. They deserve to be torn apart by the management for how they played and dropped accordingly.

I'm not saying they weren't ****, they were. But look at the gulf in class. I don't agree with the tactics, or the selections, but the players on the pitch can't be blamed for that. Any player that has an issue with Trap(rightly, or wrongly) should be professional enough to keep it behind closed doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

A 'shambles'?

He's not fuppin wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Whatever of the results, the terrible performances, worthless tactics and the gulf in class the Irish players *were* trying imho. If you want to see actual not trying then check Malouda for Spain's first goal last night.

karma_ wrote: »
    A 'shambles'?

He's not fuppin wrong.

Whether he is right or wrong doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This is arguably the most hypocritical post I've ever read in the SF.

If McClean threw his toys out of the pramor anything of the sort, that's shocking carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I'm actually glad to see he was pissed off by it enough to do this! I dont think its cheeky or cocky I think it shows he really wanted to play and believes in himself! Hunt on the other hand should thank his lucky stars hes a professional footballer nevermind being in the squad in the first place!
    If Mclean is dropped because of this well then thats ridicilou. Mclean is a young lad with great potential and needs a manager who puts his arm around him and tells him how good he is and to be blooded into the team.

Wont happen under Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This thread is easy:

I see your point but sometimes it takes someone to stand up and make a stink in order to point out the the pathetic state of affairs the team is in.
    I paid good money to travel half way across the world to see our strongest 11 play with some bit of conviction, not watch some players that have not performed well in a long time, some players that were clearly not fit and a manager that seems to have zero faith or belief in his players.

If McClean feels he should of been playing due to the sub par performances of others then fair play, someone has to say it. Shane Long must of been pulling his hair out the poor fella.

I really think that some of the players like Keane, Duff, Given etc should of given up their jerseys for the younger players in the last game, no reason why the other players shouldn't of been played. Managers call of course but fairly annoying watching the same tripe.

Someone has to be the villain in order to make the change and this whole small nation crap doesn't float with me, we have always been a small nation, we may be lacking the top quality players of the past but we have always performed with some bit of purpose in big tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Doocey wrote: »
    at 23 years of age and after one decent half season in the PL it doesn't give you

Hilarious, honestly hilarious.

You are honestly putting down a young 23 year old who has a very decent hald season under his belt...

You realise a decent half season in the EPL puts him as our best player? We have players in the team and squad without a club or playing for midtable championship sides.

Every right to be angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

The Irish player in the best form in the season prior to the Euros, and people criticise him for giving out about not featuring?

Quite hilarious actually.

The Irish player in the best form in the season prior to the Euros, and people criticise him for giving out about not featuring?

Quite hilarious actually.

It's funny that a player acts unprofessionally and airs dirty laundry in public?

Odd sense of humour.

It's funny that a player acts unprofessionally and airs dirty laundry in public?

Odd sense of humour.

Strange that this is the first that we have heard about it then isn't it, considering that it is public and all.

I'm not surprised that the players who obviously should have had much more of an input are speaking out against the regime which ignores quality and focuses on players with a distinct lack of it.

I'm not surprised that the players who obviously should have had much more of an input are speaking out against the regime which ignores quality and focuses on players with a distinct lack of it.

Neither am I, that doesn't mean it's acceptable behaviour(if its true) and it won't encourage Trap to change his mind. Doing more harm then good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Be nice to have the chance to surrender in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

If he did say this, then I would say that he did have a run in with Trap in Poland and has accepted the fact he will not be part of his plans for the WC qualifiers.

Considering our poor showing at the Euros, public opinion turning against Trap and now a possible players revolt, things aren't looking good for Trap. A poor start to the qualifiers will see him get the bullet IMO.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    If he did say this, then I would say that he did have a run in with Trap in Poland and has accepted the fact he will not be part of his plans for the WC qualifiers.

Considering our poor showing at the Euros, public opinion turning against Trap and now a possible players revolt, things aren't looking good for Trap. A poor start to the qualifiers will see him get the bullet IMO.

With John Delaney in charge? Not a hope they'd ever pay that compensation package. The piece in the Sunday Independant today about him was both hilarious and depressing.

With John Delaney in charge? Not a hope they'd ever pay that compensation package. The piece in the Sunday Independant today about him was both hilarious and depressing.

Your probably right unfortunately, only thing I could see changing that is if people stop attending the Aviva for friendlies and qualifiers, then that loss in revenue might be even for him to act. Considering the Aviva wasn't getting packed out in the last qualifying campaign, I dont think poor football and poor results are going to entice more people to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Again, if true, then McClean can really **** off unless he apologises.

He barely deserved to be there, played no part in qualification (this campaign or the previous) and Trap showing loyalty (or merit actually, since such players actually got us there) to the other players was proper order in my opinion.

I hope it isn't true but if it is then it would really show a terrible character trait in McClean - to have a sense of entitlement so strong after 4 months of premiership football to act in such a way is a serious worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

he called the campaign a shambles - is that it? players making comments like that to the media wont end well under a manager like trap.

mcclean was right - everybody knows the whole competition for ireland was a disaster but he shouldve kept quiet. hopefully its only a storm in a teacup but if it ends up being serious we might not see mcclean in the squad for a while

noodler wrote: »

He barely deserved to be there

Having trouble understanding this to be honest. Our best player on form, who scored more goals than anybody in the Irish squad in 2012, barely deserved to be there?

• Advertisement

Having trouble understanding this to be honest. Our best player on form, who scored more goals than anybody in the Irish squad in 2012, barely deserved to be there?

It was all there in my post.

McClean played no part in qualification, had about 15 minutes of international experience under his belt and 4 months of premiership football.

For him to feel so entitled as to walk out if not selected for a game speaks very badly for the man.

Again, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Its funny the amount of you i have seen complain about the media & tabloids in the past yet the Sunday Mirror publishes this story & now ye make up the core of the lynch mob.

Anyone else feel that this might be a reaction to the way Trap came out after the game against Croatia and said McClean would not play any part in the campaign?

Hoki wrote: »
    Its funny the amount of you i have seen complain about the media & tabloids in the past yet the Sunday Mirror publishes this story & now ye make up the core of the lynch mob.

Nearly every post seems to make a point of mentioning that we do not know if it is true or if the story is being exaggerated.

I don't understand your post in this context.

Again, if true, then McClean can really **** off unless he apologises.

He barely deserved to be there, played no part in qualification (this campaign or the previous) and Trap showing loyalty (or merit actually, since such players actually got us there) to the other players was proper order in my opinion.

I hope it isn't true but if it is then it would really show a terrible character trait in McClean - to have a sense of entitlement so strong after 4 months of premiership football to act in such a way is a serious worry.

"A serious worry " a bit dramatic but what are players supposed to do, just suck it up and not rock the boat. You play your best players in your strongest team.

Typical Irish attitude, sure Given and the lads are legends, we could never drop the likes of them, where the hell is the progression, are we just going to wait for all our players to retire one by one before we replace them, does form ever come into play.

If Irelands tactics or lack of worked in the first two games then he wouldn't have a strong case but what was the point in not playing them v Italy.

The confidence and belief that Irish teams had over the years has been totally sucked out of them in a short space of time.

It was all there in my post.

McClean played no part in qualification, had about 15 minutes of international experience under his belt and 4 months of premiership football.

So? There are plenty of players who should have featured more in qualification, who are better than the players who actually featured. Does that mean they shouldn't play?

Well he did start a friendly, but Trap should obviously have called him up sooner, and on that point should obviously have experimented with other formations, but that's another days argument.

Him having over 5 months of PL football or not featuring in qualification has no impact on his ability or form, which is beyond anything shown by other midfielders in the past season. I'm really not sure how that is a valid argument in any way.

Typical Irish attitude, sure Given and the lads are legends, we could never drop the likes of them, where the hell is the progression, are we just going to wait for all our players to retire one by one before we replace them, does form ever come into play.

Well, that is a bit of a stretch if you are referring to me.

Of course they are legends but, more importantly, they got us to the Euros. Its not exactly entirely without merit that they should play in them?

Not too sure what you are getting at here, your post seems to be an excuse to make some general point about the senior players in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If true, he's right but was wrong to say it to the media. Say it to the man in charge or keep it to yourself. It doesn't sound like something McClean would do though so I'm withholding judgement.

Well he did start a friendly, but Trap should obviously have called him up sooner, and on that point should obviously have experimented with other formations, but that's another days argument.

I am not sure he could have called him up any sooner? Were there many international games played between McClean's rise to fame in January and when Trap selected him?
    Him having over 5 months of PL football or not featuring in qualification has no impact on his ability or form, which is beyond anything shown by other midfielders in the past season. I'm really not sure how that is a valid argument in any way.

I wouldn't begrude the argument that club form is important but for someone to feel that a decent run of form in the premiership should entitle them to play in a European Championships over more established performers who have consistently delivered for their club and their country and to feel so strongly about this that they would say and do the things the article alludes to us very worrying to me.

Everybody's opinion on the squad has diminished after displays against some of the best in the world but it is worth remembering that we were and are well served in the wide positions under Trap.

Duff, McGeady, Hunt + Lawrence (more so in the last campaign) have been very good for Trap. Once qualified, it was always going to difficult to leave any of them out. Obviously Lawrence lost out.

Well, that is a bit of a stretch if you are referring to me.

Of course they are legends but, more importantly, they got us to the Euros. Its not exactly entirely without merit that they should play in them?

Not too sure what you are getting at here, your post seems to be an excuse to make some general point about the senior players in general.

So what if they got us to the Euros, such a silly and naive argument. Obviously the squad that qualified should more or less go and play since they are also more or less or best players but when it came to first game some of these players were clearly not fit and some were not in good form.
    First two games were a complete shambles and nothing was done to give the younger players a chance in the last game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement