Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean pre Italy game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So what if they got us to the Euros, such a silly and naive argument.
    Obviously the squad that qualified should more or less go and play since they are also more or less or best players

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

noodler wrote: »
    ?

:rolleyes: Good old internet, if you can't understand my point then there is clearly no point in conversing with you as you are playing dumb or you actually may be dumb, best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Doocey wrote: »
    McClean not a happy chap after Trap named team to face Italy - left hotel apparently. Hunt another one not too pleased by it all.

Whatever about Hunt, but McClean's behaviour a tad ridiculous - regardless of whether he should actually feature in that team; that's no way to carry on.
    He was lucky to be there, and has a great future in an Ireland shirt but at 23 years of age and after one decent half season in the PL it doesn't give you the authority to act as he has. What a tool.

https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/216883176449130496

Ireland's performance was a shambles and the buck stops with the manager. Trap is going to have to get the finger out and get the younger players to play for him and give them opportunities as well as change the system.

He has said he will do this, if he does great. If he carries on like heretofore with his conservative approach he'll be gone after two games in the WC qualification group.

McClean is 100% correct in what he said. If Trap shuns him because of it, that will be a sign that he has no future as Ireland manager and will be gone after a couple of qualifying games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Trap's days are numbered. There's obvious unrest in the camp. He's lost the majority of the fans. Who knows how many of the team. A couple of bad results in the qualifiers and he's gone. The Aviva is empty enough as it is.

I'll be shocked if he's in charge this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Ireland's performance was a shambles and the buck stops with the manager. Trap is going to have to get the finger out and get the younger players to play for him and give them opportunities as well as change the system.

He has said he will do this, if he does great. If he carries on like heretofore with his conservative approach he'll be gone after two games in the WC qualification group.

McClean is 100% correct in what he said. If Trap shuns him because of it, that will be a sign that he has no future as Ireland manager and will be gone after a couple of qualifying games.

where is he going to go?? he wont jack it in and the FAI wont sack him because they can't afford to do it.

gustafo wrote: »

where is he going to go?? he wont jack it in and the FAI wont sack him because they can't afford to do it.

Our qualifiers could potentially come to an end on our third match against Sweden next march. Wait and see how many turn up to see traps team after that. The FAI arent that stupid. Get in a new manager who can at least build for the next euros at that stage and try get the crowds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Our qualifiers could potentially come to an end on our third match against Sweden next march. Wait and see how many turn up to see traps team after that. The FAI arent that stupid. Get in a new manager who can at least build for the next euros at that stage and try get the crowds in.

We're playing Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan, with Germany at home in between? Even the most pessimistic supporter isn't as naive to think we won't win 2 out of 3 there.

And Sweden's our 4th match, so I'm not quite sure how our qualifiers will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

How much playing time did McClean actually get in the end?

15 min run out at the end when we were losing 3-0 to Spain was it?

Great way to encourage a player showing great promise, toss him on when there's pretty much fúck all impact he can have on the game.

Not that i feel he has a godgiven right to play, just I think we needed something different, and he may have provided it if given the chance.

I don't buy this 'inexperienced' 'too young' 'one for the future' crap spouted by Trap.

I won't be surprised if he loses interest tbh.

We're playing Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan, with Germany at home in between? Even the most pessimistic supporter isn't as naive to think we won't win 2 out of 3 there.

And Sweden's our 4th match, so I'm not quite sure how our qualifiers will be over.

Lose to Germany and Sweden and it's curtains. Curtains for trap anyway. When have we ever lost to the the top 2 seeds and still qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How much playing time did McClean actually get in the end?

15 min run out at the end when we were losing 3-0 to Spain was it?

Great way to encourage a player showing great promise, toss him on when there's pretty much fúck all impact he can have on the game.

Not that i feel he has a godgiven right to play, just I think we needed something different, and he may have provided it if given the chance.

I don't buy this 'inexperienced' 'too young' 'one for the future' crap spouted by Trap.

I won't be surprised if he loses interest tbh
    :rolleyes:

How can you even think like that?

And your previous line there where you don't buy inexperinced crap is just as back He is inexperienced and he is hopefully one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Its has been clear from the start that, currently, Trap does not want McClean in the squad. Mark my words he only got in in the first place not on form but on the FAI insisting that such a highly rated young player not being called up would be a PR disaster in terms of support/ ticket sales.

Im not saying McClean is a bad player, but he is not, for whatever reason, a player Trap really wanted to involve. Fact is we could have had a 17 year old Messi level striker evolve in the previous 6 months and he might not have got game time.

Given all of the above, it must be a kicker for McClean to break his bollix in training and in the PL only to realise that he is going to be lucky to get on the bench at every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Lose to Germany and Sweden and it's curtains. Curtains for trap anyway. When have we ever lost to the the top 2 seeds and still qualified?

We haven't lost to them yet? And Sweden are no great shakes. If Trap learns from his mistakes we'll put it up to them, if he doesn't(which, considering his achievements, is highly unlikely) he's halfway towards being senile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its has been clear from the start that, currently, Trap does not want McClean in the squad. Mark my words he only got in in the first place not on form but on the FAI insisting that such a highly rated young player not being called up would be a PR disaster in terms of support/ ticket sales.

Im not saying McClean is a bad player, but he is not, for whatever reason, a player Trap really wanted to involve. Fact is we could have had a 17 year old Messi level striker evolve in the previous 6 months and he might not have got game time.

Given all of the above, it must be a kicker for McClean to break his bollix in training and in the PL only to realise that he is going to be lucky to get on the bench at every match.
    Argentina had a 17 year old Maradona who had debuted for his country the previous year but didn't put him in the squad for the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. Do you think that was a mistake looking back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

eagle eye wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

How can you even think like that?

And your previous line there where you don't buy inexperinced crap is just as back He is inexperienced and he is hopefully one for the future.

I think like that as i view Trap as having a system that he is unwilling to compromise, which doesn't promote the incorporation of new or upcoming talent, yet stays faithful to the idea of some sort of 'show of respect' to experienced players, and those that 'got us there'.

I think if players feel they won't get an opportunity, they may very well be dissuaded from making the effort to turn up for internationals, and prefer to focus exclusively on their club football.

Also, i view the Euros as a great stage for these less experienced players that are performing well at club level to make a name for themselves.

You feel that playing him was too much of a risk yourself, yeah?:rolleyes:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Argentina had a 17 year old Maradona who had debuted for his country the previous year but didn't put him in the squad for the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. Do you think that was a mistake looking back now?

Without looking at the squad I am sure there were plenty of top class experienced strikers capable of taking care of things. You cant compare Argentina to a situation where Trap refuses to take some Swansea Irish kid who scores against Chelsea from a run from the half way line. What I am saying is that despite the general mediocre level of our players a player of the aforementioned talent wouldnt be guaranteed a place on the squad as he doent know the all important system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I'd believe every single word in the Sunday World alright...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

gustafo wrote: »

He'll be gone in no time if he continues with the conservative approach he has been stuck with regarding players and tactics up 'til now. The FAI will have no choice but to sack him if after a few games Ireland are playing at the Aviva with no-one watching them.

I think Trap should move on, he did well to get the team qualified but I doubt he has the interest to take Ireland to the next step. He says he wants to make changes, we'll see, if he doesn't he's gone one way or the other. The "best fans in the world" wont turn up to see a losing team in the Aviva, it's not like they'll be on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was watching the Gary Neville thing on diving earlier and when he said "young Clark could be going to the European Championships with Ireland in the Summer" I got really angry. Instead of one of the best young CBs in the Premier League, Sean St. Ledger started and Paul McShane made the squad. Now, St. Ledger has done well before but he was clearly out of his depth out there.

It's the same with the likes of Hoolahan and Pilkington not getting a look in and Paul fúcking Green getting a place. Trap won me over somewhat during the qualification but once he announced the squad and the subsequent shambolic decisions during the tournament he's completely lost it. I

n 2 years if nothing changes we are going to be left looking at what could have been and a load of old lads completely past it retiring and players who should have been experienced internationals and making up the spine of the next 4 or 5 campaigns like Clark, Coleman and McCarthy not getting a look in.

Before this campaign I was excited at some of the players we had coming through and though we got to the finals I feel it has been at the great detriment of Ireland's future potential.

Liam O wrote: »
    I was watching the Gary Neville thing on diving earlier and when he said "young Clark could be going to the European Championships with Ireland in the Summer" I got really angry. Instead of one of the best young CBs in the Premier League, Sean St. Ledger started and Paul McShane made the squad. Now, St. Ledger has done well before but he was clearly out of his depth out there.

It's the same with the likes of Hoolahan and Pilkington not getting a look in and Paul fúcking Green getting a place. Trap won me over somewhat during the qualification but once he announced the squad and the subsequent shambolic decisions during the tournament he's completely lost it. I

n 2 years if nothing changes we are going to be left looking at what could have been and a load of old lads completely past it retiring and players who should have been experienced internationals and making up the spine of the next 4 or 5 campaigns like Clark, Coleman and McCarthy not getting a look in.

Before this campaign I was excited at some of the players we had coming through and though we got to the finals I feel it has been at the great detriment of Ireland's future potential.

Agreed completely. Trap had gotten it right so often I had reached a stage where I would have defended his every pre match decision no matter how bizarre it seemed to us. I remember Long scored against Utd and Chelsea in consecutive weeks, then bizarrely got benched for Simon Cox, who in turn scored and IIRC won MOTM against Armenia. To me it seemed to prove that the Trap man has an instinct for getting it right no matter how wrong he might look in the first place.

That is all out the window for me now tbh. The above stubborness did work for a long time. While Italy in 2009/ 2010 are a shadow of the current side, he did well and brought the game to them in the two draws and one win. We were sloppy to lose to France in Dublin but again, we brought it to them in Paris guns blazing. Something has changed since those days, be it the old guard of the squad being 3 years older or what.

Bottom line is, stalwarts of the squad have aged in 4 years. New players have become available over the last 4 years. Yet Trap has refused to change a tactic in 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I'd believe every single word in the Sunday World alright...

I personally know the journalist who wrote that piece, and I don't believe him to be a bullshítter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Glad McClean cares so much tbh, its not like it was Saipan. Ireland have to change their ways or be completely left behind. It doesn't help our cause that there are so many foreigners playing in England though. Its bad for all the "home nations".

What I would love to see is a restriction on foreign players that omits the Irish, Welsh and even the Scottish because their leagues aren't of the standard of the premiership, and that is the only place our players will bebrought on to international standard.

England are a disgrace aswell by the way, bunch of bottlers.

Glad McClean cares so much tbh, its not like it was Saipan. Ireland have to change their ways or be completely left behind. It doesn't help our cause that there are so many foreigners playing in England though. Its bad for all the "home nations".

What I would love to see is a restriction on foreign players that omits the Irish, Welsh and even the Scottish because their leagues aren't of the standard of the premiership, and that is the only place our players will bebrought on to international standard.

England are a disgrace aswell by the way, bunch of bottlers.

You think the Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh should rely on the English football system to nurture and develop players for them? Seriously?

Do you not think those associations would be better off setting up acadamies, putting in place thier own structures and instead of depending on another association to develop talent actually stand on their own two feet for a change?

England can barely develop their own talent, never mind talent for FOUR other countries.

Christ almighty, I've read some bollox on here over the years, this is up there with the worst of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Nobody has said Irish begrudgery yet.

Irish begrudgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Duff and McGeady are better than McClean at this time. There I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

AwKGcAQCIAIW_sD.jpg

Apparently Stephen Hunt was left in tears because he got no game time and Darron Gibson is contemplating retirement from international football.

Trap has to go for this, he's alienated too many players at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really think Trappatoni staying another 2 years would do serious damage to the team - I think we will have a couple of age related retirements but I could see people like Hunt and Gibson telling Trap to shove it as well, as talked about above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Hunt / Gibson / whoever pack it in because they didn't get a run out then we don't need them as they were never the right players for us to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As an observation, if the SW story is true (and it wouldn't surprise me), its unusual that no other paper today that I know of has picked the story up / expended it / etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Hunt / Gibson / whoever pack it in because they didn't get a run out then we don't need them as they were never the right players for us to begin with.

Don't agree with this at all.

Paul Green got more game time than Gibson.

Simon Cox was brought on as a left side midfielder- not a left sided forward/winger - a left sided midfielder. McClean, Hunt and Gibson, amongst others, have more than enough reason to be pissed off.

I've no real issue with these players not starting, but the way Trap treated them over the course of the tournament is a shame imo. Trap showed what he has shown all along, if you were not around at the start of his tenure in the job you are unlikely to get a look in till he leaves. Never looks at other players, only his 14 favourites. Shane Long is another that would have every right to be completely pissed off with Trap - our best forward by a mile and not given a proper chance.

Anyone got the rest of the article to photo?

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    You think the Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh should rely on the English football system to nurture and develop players for them? Seriously?

Do you not think those associations would be better off setting up acadamies, putting in place thier own structures and instead of depending on another association to develop talent actually stand on their own two feet for a change?

England can barely develop their own talent, never mind talent for FOUR other countries.

Christ almighty, I've read some bollox on here over the years, this is up there with the worst of it though.

That's not what I said at all. Holy ****. How many Irish players in the last 40 years plied their trade in the Irish leagues. You are talking bolix mate. This country is to small to have a standard as high as the premiership.

Read it again, all I said was if they are introducing restrictions on foreigners they could omit Irish players. Are you hungover or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Read it again, all I said was if they are introducing restrictions on foreigners they could omit Irish players.
    Why would they do that?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

They probably wouldn't. Its just a personal idea. The Irish team is screwed, and realistically ours because of the influx of foreigners into the English game. The same reason England aren't producing. There must be less and less Irish players going over for trials / academies / getting signed.

Because of the amazing tradition of Irish players in the top leagues in England and the fact that we don't have a professional league of that standard, I personally don't think we can be classed in the same way as maybe a Spanish or French player etc.

Ours is a small country, its only be putting players into the competition offered in England, that we can have a team like the one we have had in the past.

They probably wouldn't. Its just a personal idea. The Irish team is screwed, and realistically ours because of the influx of foreigners into the English game. The same reason England aren't producing. There must be less and less Irish players going over for trials / academies / getting signed.

Because of the amazing tradition of Irish players in the top leagues in England and the fact that we don't have a professional league of that standard, I personally don't think we can be classed in the same way as maybe a Spanish or French player etc.

Ours is a small country, its only be putting players into the competition offered in England, that we can have a team like the one we have had in the past.

Irish players need to start looking beyond England for their careers. They need to do this at all levels and stages of their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Why? When players who weren't called up for the original squad get gametime over players who have moved clubs because the manager said they needed to then something is very wrong. Trap is slowly alienating the entire future Ireland team.

In 2 years if the likes of Gibson, McCarthy, McClean, Clark and Coleman aren't in the team then I shudder to think which way the team will go...

An acquaintence is convinced that the Paul Green substitution was a move bourne out of spite for the rapturous welcome McClean got going on in the Spain game. I'm not so sure but I like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Sunday World...........Well if they say it, then it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Liam O wrote: »
    Why? When players who weren't called up for the original squad get gametime over players who have moved clubs because the manager said they needed to then something is very wrong. Trap is slowly alienating the entire future Ireland team.

In 2 years if the likes of Gibson, McCarthy, McClean, Clark and Coleman aren't in the team then I shudder to think which way the team will go...

McClean, Clark, McCarthy are Coleman have not been alienated. They have all been told they are part of the next campaign. I would be surprised if McCarthy did not play a big part in the next campaign and Coleman is regularly mentioned at press interviews by Trap as being "part of his plans"

If McClean walked out of the hotel because he wasnt started for the final game then Ive lost a lot of respect for him. Hunt certainly deserved some game time in the tournament. McClean played against the best team in the world and should be glad he got a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Is it not the Sunday Mirror that reported all of this?

Still not a reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its the sunday mirror and comes from a very reliable and trust journalist so yes, every single word thats in there is true. it was then publisicised by some other well known journalists on the social media front.

Mclean went in a rant (and walked out when team was announced)
    Gibson is thinking of packing it in.
    Hunt left the stadium in tears.

not that hard to believe and why would it be made up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This thread is easy:

if James McClean threw a strop because he wasn't selected in an eleven he can **** off. Should be dropped for the next campaign - same goes for ANY player doing similar. Behave and tow the line or sit at home imo.

That's bullsh1t. The players are perfectly entitled to feel aggrieved and a manager, while there's a need for him to be respected it's not a dictatorship either and players don't have to behave like subordinate soldiers and just roll over and bark when told to. They're entitled to an opinion.

McLean's behaviour was childish I think, but I can see how there would have been general unrest. Trap's team selection for the Italy game was beyond baffling considering what had gone before. It was a chance to change things around and try something different but he stayed rooted to the spot as usual. Players are right to be p1ssed off.

its the sunday mirror and comes from a very reliable and trust journalist so yes, every single word thats in there is true. it was then publisicised by some other well known journalists on the social media front.

Mclean went in a rant (and walked out when team was announced)
    Gibson is thinking of packing it in.
    Hunt left the stadium in tears.

not that hard to believe and why would it be made up?

Ah here. A tabloid reporting the facts. No way. They amplify everything. Every nuance and angle is exploited and twisted. I would take everything written in a tabloid with a mine of salt!

McClean may have been annoyed, Gibson and Hunt too. I'd expect they should be but I would wager the reactions are far less inflammatory than was reported by a rag-top journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't agree with this at all.

Paul Green got more game time than Gibson.

Simon Cox was brought on as a left side midfielder- not a left sided forward/winger - a left sided midfielder. McClean, Hunt and Gibson, amongst others, have more than enough reason to be pissed off.

Players don't pick a team, the manager does. If you decide they were right in this case, you are essentially saying that they can reserve the right to throw a strop any time they think the manager is wrong about the squad he is picking or the players he is playing from it.

You can see how that idea isn't really workable right?

Players who won't tow the line in situations like this tournament are of no use to us long term.

is the full article available on-line anywhere? The only quote I can see from McClean is 'shambles'? What was a 'shambles'?

For all we know McClean may have been referring to Ireland's performances. There is no evidence that he is referring to his omission as a 'shambles'. There is zero evidence from the screen grab I've seen of him criticising Trappatoni's performances as manager. As I've said I have not read the full article but it looks very much like the usual red-top rag trick of selective quoting. You lot should be familiar with selective quoting. :D

Players reserve the right to throw a strop any time.

I LOVE selective quoting! :D

This is what the tabloid has done to McClean's words. A young inexperienced footballer has been mugged by a journalist who used his frustration and disappointment to get the right sort of words and reactions from him to concoct this tripe. Isaid it on the board much earlier that a s*it storm was coming down the line for Trap and the team and this is the start of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It doesn't matter what who where or when, no good will come through having a go at the manager in the press. McLean's a fool for this, albeit a passionate fool - this combined with the twitter thing suggests he might have a bit to learn.

IMO Mclean stayed on the bench because there was never any point in bringing on an orthodox winger - Duff and MCGeady were never in the game because no-one could get the ball to them. Ronaldo could have been playing there and he wouldn't have gotten a sniff.

Gibson is the only one with a ligit gripe tbh. He was a really obvious substitution a couple of times and baffingly Green got on first. Couple that with prob his best performance for us pre-tournament and the comments from Trap before and after his move to Everton and I'm really really surprised that he wasn't brough on to try and pass the ball.

The journalist is known personally to both myself and homerjay, he's not prone to bullshít.

He is very closely involved with the Irish team at all matches, home and away - he has the trust of the players and even the manager to an extent.

The stuff he's written here is not false lies.

I LOVE selective quoting! :D

This is what the tabloid has done to McClean's words. A young inexperienced footballer has been mugged by a journalist who used his frustration and disappointment to get the right sort of words and reactions from him to concoct this tripe. Isaid it on the board much earlier that a s*it storm was coming down the line for Trap and the team and this is the start of it.

Untrue, this journalist doesn't operate that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

"A serious worry " a bit dramatic but what are players supposed to do, just suck it up and not rock the boat. You play your best players in your strongest team.

Typical Irish attitude, sure Given and the lads are legends, we could never drop the likes of them, where the hell is the progression, are we just going to wait for all our players to retire one by one before we replace them, does form ever come into play.

If Irelands tactics or lack of worked in the first two games then he wouldn't have a strong case but what was the point in not playing them v Italy.

The confidence and belief that Irish teams had over the years has been totally sucked out of them in a short space of time.

+1

McClean had the following to his name coming into the Euros.

Top Irish goalscorer 2012 calendar year
    Top Irish assists 2012 calendar year
    Top of the stats for chances created for Ireland 2012 calendar year.

He is playing week in week out with a decent performance level for a PL club. He was played against pretty much all of the top 6 in Sunderlands campaign. He was one of probably 4-5 players in the squad who had a consistent and decent campaign with their respective clubs.

The others being Darren Gibson, Shane Long and Walters.....

To be left sitting on the bench for a player who can barely break into the West Brom squad, and spends most of his time in the reserves, its not only annoying but also disrespectful.

Didi Hamann was spot on by saying Paul Green not only being bought, but played, was an embarrassment and disrespect to the Irish footballing community, and a massive kick in the teeth for all the hard working under age irish players. As Hamann also pointed out, why not bring a midfielder from the Under 21's to give them some exposure and experience? Not wasted on a nothing player who was let go by a club in the Championship.

Balleuige (spellcheck) also mentioned on Twitter when Green came on " Did Ireland scrap their youth teams?" Which is spot on, instead of filling up the numbers with rubbish and crap just because they have some game time, with Championship teams, give the spots to the younger under age lads who have potential. As pointed out correctly by Hamann and also Graham Hunter, Germany have brought 3 new players into the setup for this competition from the Under 21's with a view to give them experience with a look to the future.

I'll also frown at anyone who walks out on their country, but this wasn't Saipain. If the group inividually or collectively had a go at the manager for what was evidently a **** decision and poor squad selection, then fair play. Granted it should stay behind closed doors, its not like its some alien far fetched conclusion that an egotistical brat has dremt up.

If the stories reported are to be true, its Irelands best player and performer in 2012 playing in the highest level of football any of our players attend, being left on the bench while **** bags and journeymen get some game time.

And finally for Paul Green, someone mentioned that he was giving some time by Trap to assist him in finding a club as he can add Euro experience to his CV. He is not good enough to play for my local Sunday club, if they want my money to go see Ireland, and to bring me back to the Stadium to support to the team in person, they would do well to ensure that players like Green are never given the opportunity to wear the green again and embarrass the national beyond belief. And it is an embarrassment, read some reports and analysis from foreign press ( translate of course) from our group games to see how much writing space Paul Green got : /

Des wrote: »
    Untrue, this journalist doesn't operate that way.

Have you a copy of the full article?

I am only basing my posts on the screen grab. Based on that grab there is not one quote that verifies his work. I'm sorry I'm sure he is a decent guy but he is a professional journalist who works for an utter rag of a periodical.

It would be a first for the Mirror to actually produce an article that was accurate and fair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement