Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUB TEACHING IN IRELAND

• 24-06-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I'm a science teacher from Ireland, working in the UK for the last 6 months. I'd like to come back home in September but from reading boards.ie I'm scared! Are thinngs really that bad at home? What about subbing work? I'm willing to work anywhere in the republic, prefereably Lenister. What are my chanches of gettin relatively frequent sub work?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean as a science teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

yes, preferably as a science teacher, but I'd do any subwork/tempwork

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are thinking about primary subbing, you don't stand much of a chance, I'm afraid, there are hundred of fully qualified unemployed primary teachers. Can't say for certain what the situation is like in secondary, but much the same I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Its very competitive getting any kind of job in teaching and subbing work isnt frequent anymore. Schools have so many part time teachers that they get the subbing hours because theyre always on hand to fill in.

It you would be interested in more regular teaching work, jobs are just as hard to come by. Science is a reasonably good subject to have but with only 6 months experience it might be difficult. There are a lot of very experienced teachers going for the same jobs. What subjects can you teach at leaving cert level? Are you qualified to teach JC Maths? And most importantly are you registered with the teaching council in Ireland??

Advertisement