Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballon Molly Pregnant

Options
  • 24-06-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I recently added a Ballon Molly to my tank and my other half believes that she is pregnant ( if it is a she ) now I know they have a large belly anyway but is there anyway to spot if it is pregnant , would it be acting differently etc

attached pic sorry about quality she moves around a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

I purchased a molly exactly like that last week, her belly just got more flat on the bottom and two days later... pop pop pop, loads of fish. All the other fish just started eating them but thankfully I saved 8 of them. she was also keeping away from the others when i bought her, just sat over behind the filter looking sorrowful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Mine seems very sociable and swims around a lot, But for some reason she likes to feed from the bottom of the tank with the Corys but other then that she is not acting any differently to my other Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

Only time will tell. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

campo wrote: »
    Hi all
    I recently added a Ballon Molly to my tank and my other half believes that she is pregnant ( if it is a she ) now I know they have a large belly anyway but is there anyway to spot if it is pregnant , would it be acting differently etc

All mollys breed like rabbits! You can usually tell by their bellies forming a larger curve for a day or two before they have the babies. Best advise for you is to buy a hatchers if you dont already have one, they are only a couple of euro and float on the top of the water. Once you think one of the fish is pregnant put her into the hatchery. When she has her babies take her out and leave all the babies in it, that way they wont get eaten. Also, you need baby fish food, again its only a few euro and comes in the form of a yellow liquid. Within a couple of weeks they will be big enough to go in with all the others.

In terms of knowing whether its a girl or boy there is one way to tell from what I am told to beleive. The tails are either like a fan or curved inwards with a point at the top and at the bottom, like a sharks tail. I cant remember which one is which, but one means its male and the other means its female. Hope this helps.

Advertisement