Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passion fruit - stem/branch broken off. Can I save this bit?

Options
  • 24-06-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I have a passion fruit* plant that is a very slow grower. A couple of months back it was attacked by a Labrador and it lost a most of the branches/stems. After the attack, I placed the plant (in a pot) on top of a compost bin in a corner of the garden and it seems to like that place (a bit of growth, but lots of good leaves). Recently, it fell off the bin and broke one of the stems/branches.

Is it possible to grow another plant from this broken stem/branch? If yes, how? (i.e. stick in another pot? or stick the bottom in a jar of water for a few weeks and plant it? or some other method?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    I have a passion fruit* plant that is a very slow grower. A couple of months back it was attacked by a Labrador and it lost a most of the branches/stems. After the attack, I placed the plant (in a pot) on top of a compost bin in a corner of the garden and it seems to like that place (a bit of growth, but lots of good leaves). Recently, it fell off the bin and broke one of the stems/branches.

Is it possible to grow another plant from this broken stem/branch? If yes, how? (i.e. stick in another pot? or stick the bottom in a jar of water for a few weeks and plant it? or some other method?)

Hey - I'd stick the branch in a pot of water and then go google propagation - 30 mins reading will give you a good idea as there's loads of sites with write ups and good pics.

B&Q have rooting hormone for 7€ ish, cutting compost, vermiculite, plastic trays and small plastic propagators for window sills. Not expensive and can be used to develop your garden for free then!

- I broke off two rose stems by accident a couple of months ago - Led to two cuttings and one survived.

Depending on your branch you might be able to get a few cuttings and up yer chances.....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Thanks for the reply - I knew you could grow it, but couldn't for the life me remember the terminology - "propagation".

Advertisement