Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange dreams

• 24-06-2012 5:40pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do other boardsies get wierd dreams all the time?

Last night I dreamt that I was driving a hire cruiser on one of the tributaries of the river Shannon and this beautiful lake with a massive church on a wooded hill over it came into view. However, when the river opened out onto this lake I found - to my utter horror - that it was extremely shallow and littered with huge sharp rocks and my boat ran aground - you could hear the fibreglass hull cracking and tearing open.

The previous night I dreamt about Jodie Foster, Longford, JFK and an atomic bomb. Is this normal??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I do have some mad dreams too. I had a dream that my nephew (only a toddler at the time) was about to fall off the kitchen table. I made a dive to catch him only to wake up mid dive as I went flying out of the bed onto the floor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Probably something your eating before bed time..Cheese gives me crazy dreams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Maybe try the sleeping and dreaming forum OP.
    People describing their dreams is often voted as the most boring topics of conversation, just saying. Not that I'd necessarily agree with that!
    I actually find it quite interesting, and yea I get some crazy dreams too. I often forget them by the end of the day though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I usually have a very good recall of many of my dreams. The one I had last night was extremely vivid - like it was really happening.

I think I should write my dreams down more and make short stories out of them.

Does anyone on AH get any recurring themes in their dreams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I usually have a very good recall of many of my dreams. The one I had last night was extremely vivid - like it was really happening.

I think I should write my dreams down more and make short stories out of them.

Does anyone on AH get any recurring themes in their dreams?
    I used to love flying. Then I had a very vivid dream about being in a plane crash. Then I had another. Then I had the EXACT same dream. I've had a lot now at this stage.
    Now I hate flying.
    Weird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Do other boardsies get wierd dreams all the time?

Last night I dreamt that I was driving a hire cruiser on one of the tributaries of the river Shannon and this beautiful lake with a massive church on a wooded hill over it came into view. However, when the river opened out onto this lake I found - to my utter horror - that it was extremely shallow and littered with huge sharp rocks and my boat ran aground - you could hear the fibreglass hull cracking and tearing open.

The previous night I dreamt about Jodie Foster, Longford, JFK and an atomic bomb. Is this normal??
    Sounds like the plot from Cape Fear 2.Was Robert Deniro trying to slaughter your family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

One of the worst things to be subjected to is someone telling you about their dream. Its so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

your name says it all op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Depends on the dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Other people's dreams are like photos, if I'm not in them or nobody's naked, I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pantsface wrote: »
    One of the worst things to be subjected to is someone telling you about their dream. Its so boring.

If you don't want to hear about other people's dreams then don't come onto the thread. Simples.

Does anyone here dream during the day when they doze off for a short while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

My dreams are very dull indeed. I dream about making a cup of tea, or going to the shops, filing my taxes or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I had a weird dream a few years ago and I'm sure it means something -

I was taking a p!ss in my nanny's house and a big blue dog opened the door and jumped into a bath full of water.

No idea but I'm sure it's a sign of good fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

had a dream Ingland won 3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

[QUOTE=JupiterKid;79381282 Does anyone on AH get any recurring themes in their dreams?[/QUOTE]

I've always done lots of dreaming - very bonkers dreams most of the time - and can remember a lot when I wake up. Some bits flitter away but might return when I least expect it - just suddenly make an appearance in my mind at a later date.

I had a spate of dreaming I murdered someone last year. They were terrifying. I chopped up one of the victim's bodies - even had a easy to wipe down jumpsuit made of some kind of plastic to wear while doing it :eek:

I'm always so relieved to wake up after those dreams.

A weird, dreaming, but not quite dreaming thing happened to me recently - twice, in fact.

The first one involved forgetting to take my medication (I'm not actually on medication). In my sleep I suddenly remembered I hadn't taken my medication that evening and from that thought I moved on to realising I hadn't taken it in quite a long time, so I woke up and opened the bedside drawer and started fumbling about trying to find this non-existent medication. When I couldn't find it, I thought maybe it had fallen down the back of the bedside locker, so I decided to go to the bathroom and move the bedside locker to search for it on my return.

I was half way to the bathroom by the time my awake mind caught up with my still-stuck-in-dream-world mind and realised the medication I was looking for didn't exist, because I'm not actually on any - though some might say I should be :rolleyes: There was a half a minute during which I struggled to be sure what was real and what wasn't. Quite scary, to be honest.

Although when I dream I'm completely there and believe it's all real, and when I wake up it can take me a moment to adjust to this world, I'd never before gone as far as spending three or four minutes thinking the dream world was real and actually physically looking for stuff like medication (or missing jewellery - which was what it was about the second time it happened) and starting to move furniture about. :eek::eek:

Though I did sleep walk as a child, so maybe that has some bearing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

I had a dream before that I went to the cinema with my friends and the bad guy in the movie came out of the screen and killed everyone then shot me and I woke up with a jolt. Another time I was just after making biscuit ice-cream the evening before and I dreamt of the biscuit ice-cream and a white backdrop it felt like a nightmare for some reason but that's all that was in the dream. :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I had a dream that I saved the world from Alien invasion when I was nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Lately - My dreams are mental - epic, and freakishly real - the 2 that stick out,

The apocalypse - Remember the whole dream - it lasted a full 24 hrs till I woke up (bout 4hrs dreaming i'd say) Words cant say how real this was - it was a full eventful day, with minor things happening that were out of the ordinary, progressively getting worse, until about 4am when riot police took to the streets and the world "changed" into something I cannot describe, a dark, evil place - very unnerving - I woke up before the end of the world thank god.

2. Scared the bejaysus out of me - I dreamed I was possessed - Sitting in a bar with a few friends, I get this mental feeling of weightlessness at the same time my friend proclaims he just saw a ghost - I feel really good, and think I might be able to fly - we enter a back room and I try to control the feeling - at this point im sure I can fly, and try, but my body is pulled forward and up - right up - I am slammed to the ceiling and a table from below leaves the ground and pins me.

I cant move - or speak.

My friend then starts doing something to my back, pain ensues - more pain, then excruciating pain, I try to talk but just murmor - The pain got so bad I woke myself from the dream - I never did that before but it was so bad I made a conscience decision in my sub-conscience mind that I had to wake up.

When I woke up I still had the pain - it only eased after a few mins - wasnt a muscle pain or internal either, it was skin pain, like stabbing and burning, mad alltogether.

Have had some really f**ked up dreams that I wont go into as I actually dont want to remember them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I had a dream once - it was wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I had a dream that I saved the world from Alien invasion when I was nine.

That wasn't a dream.

Thank you, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I've carried out a dream "project".

Basically, I sleep on my belly all the time. But a few weeks ago, I was so tired that I fell asleep "sideways"..on my side. Now, this doesn't seem significant, but read on.

When I sleep in my usual way I have a great sleep with no weird dreams etc. But when I slept on my side, I actually had the worst nightmares imaginable....really. Dreams in which I was getting killed and chasing people.

Thinking this was just a once-off, I slept again on my side. And lo-and-behold I had weird dreams again.

What cause this ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I've carried out a dream "project".

Basically, I sleep on my belly all the time. But a few weeks ago, I was so tired that I fell asleep "sideways"..on my side. Now, this doesn't seem significant, but read on.

When I sleep in my usual way I have a great sleep with no weird dreams etc. But when I slept on my side, I actually had the worst nightmares imaginable....really. Dreams in which I was getting killed and chasing people.

Thinking this was just a once-off, I slept again on my side. And lo-and-behold I had weird dreams again.

What cause this ****?

Something to do with the flow of blood to your brain depending on your position maybe? If you ever get those really startling sudden 'falling' dreams that wake you up with a jolt, well they are caused by an interruption in the blood flow going to your brain (as far as I know), although they're harmless they're not fun at all :)

Does anyone have sensation in their dreams, such as warmth/cold? I didn't realise it's unusual for me until I had a dream where I was looking at glowing embers in a fireplace and I could feel the heat..

I have had variations on a recurring dream for years.

I keep meaning to put a notebook and pen beside my bed and scribble down watever I can remember of my dreams upon awakening, but I still haven't got around to it. When I do, I'll use a website like this to try to make sense of them..

http://carl-jung.net/dreams.html

I don't find other peoples' dreams boring. Some people are just grumpy ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Dreamed last night that I starred in the twilight movies and then Kristen Stewart fell in love with me and we married. Later we were at the Oscars and Michael Fassbender tried hitting on her so I kicked him in the shins from behind the stage curtains. Then I went and received my Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I have heard it said that dreams are a reflection of one's conscience. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I had the weirdest dream last night. It was lucid and it went on for ages, I was in a very shallow sleep and I was nearly aware of what was around me, it was more of a dozing state. It was so weird, I was in some house that partly resembled a nightclub and some party was on, then I saw my dead dog, then the weirdest part. I was young again, my age oscillated from between 4 and 16 and I was in the first house I grew up in though it was completely different and for some reason I saw two girls, one of them in her early 20's who was my older sister and the other about 9 who was my younger sister and even though these people seemed familiar to me I couldn't work out who they were. I was absolutely convinced they were my sisters, even for a little while after I woke up except I don't have any sisters. It was so odd. The force of my conviction led me to be extremely confused. I was absolutely convinced that I had sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I had a dream lately that I was made captain of my county football team and gave a rousing speech to the lads.
    :D Out we ran through the tunnel of Croake Park into ...... my back garden:confused: where the OH was pushing an oversized lawnmower telling me I was a lazy git. How embarrassing.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I had a dream last night that I was blowing off very loud farts during mass in a big gothic cathedral. The priest kept on pausing during his sermon telling me to shut up and put a cork in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I dreamt before that I was a crime-fighter. My vehicle was the new Batmobile. And my side-kick; Angela Lansbury.

That was an odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I tend to remember my dreams only occasionally. And when I do, I find that more and more detail slips away throughout the day - so by lunchtime I can barely remember anything other than that I had a good/cool dream last night.

I once had a dream I needed to pee. Then I dreamt I was peeing. I woke up and guess what??? Not too much, thankfully.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Bit of a long one but my strangest/best ever dream:

Fifa decided not to award the World Cup to Qatar due to the heat and instead gave it to North Korea.

Myself and my housemate were called up to the squad (we're both accountants) and travelled over to North Korea with the rest of the lads. Once we were there we had absolutely no contact with the outside world and nobody outside of the country knew how the World Cup was going as it was only North Koreans that were allowed to attend games (no tourists/travelling fans whatsoever).

I became friendly with a local who worked for the local tv station who told me that the station was releasing highlights of the matches but there was a week delay between the match and the highlights being released to the rest of the world.

After surprsing everyone by topping our group we then played some absolutely amazing stuff during the knock out stages and went on to meet Brazil in the semi final. It was a bitter sweet feeling as neither me or my housemate had got a minutes playing time. We expressed our concerns to Trap who informed us that he had been saving us for the big occassion, and the semi final was it.

****ing go time.

After a titanic struggle, we ended up losing 4-3 to Brazil. Ronaldinho came over to me in the players lounge after the match and told me that it was the toughest game he had ever played. He asked when were we flying back to Ireland and I told him it was the day after the final. He said there was a big party in their team hotel regardless of the result and we should go along.

So Brazil beat Germany 3-1 and me + housemate head over to the hotel after. It's a invitation only party but Ronaldinho (or "Ron" as I called him) came out to let us in. As you can imagine the place was absolutely hopping, with drink and girls everywhere.

At about 5:30am, people are feeling the effects of the all night bender, there are bodies passed out everywhere. My housemate says we better go as our flight is at 9 so we start to step over the sleeping people when I spot it.... The World Cup trophy, sitting, unguarded on the piano. I take a quick look around and nobody is watching so I stuff it up my jumper and we do a legger. There's no security search at the airport (it's my ****ing dream, I can do what I like) so we are on the plane when I reveal to the rest of my team mates what I've swiped. They are ecstatic (no idea why) and we party on the plane like we really did win it. When we get to our connecting flight in China, I call home and ask my Mam how much have the highlights have been shown. She says "we've just finished the group stages, you're doing really well".. "Well guess what?", I say "We've only gone and won the ****ing thing, get everyone up to the airport". So we arrive to Dublin to a record crowd of 2.3million people who are fully sure we won the World Cup in North Korea.

And then I woke up and lay there for 10-15 utterly confused as it had all seemed so real.

Does anyone have sensation in their dreams, such as warmth/cold? I didn't realise it's unusual for me until I had a dream where I was looking at glowing embers in a fireplace and I could feel the heat..

I've gotten the smell of oranges in my dreams - really strong, lovely smell of oranges. I particularly like that one.

I've woken myself up laughing on quite a few occasions - proper hearty belly laughs, and twice I've woken myself up crying and found actual tears on my face; the first time I'd been dreaming I'd just been told my brother was dead and I can't remember what I was dreaming the second time.

I've had a couple of dreams that I feel were powerful in terms of helping me move on from stuff I needed to move on from - emotional stuff - the first one was extremely intense and I had that whole wake up with a fright, sit bolt upright in the bed, sweating and shaken.

For those that hate hearing other people's dreams, look away now:

I was in a night club that was run on a human generator. I was at the bar about to buy a drink and noticed the bouncers (who were reptiles and spoke in a garbled wail) were taking the old, bloodied and exhausted human out of the generator chamber to replace him with me :eek:

So I ran. My friends helped me hide and even though I saw the reptiles take the old generator back - and he was screaming because he didn't want to go back - I felt bad but had to save myself.

The night club had three floors, all made of glass and a fireman's pole for getting from the top floor to the bottom. When I ran to the door of the club to escape I looked up and saw the reptile bouncers' feet at the top of the club, pressed against the glass floor, about to descend the pole to get me. Once out the door, I ran and was in a park, running, running, running and suddenly I saw my father's car. Delighted, I jumped in and sat back breathing a sigh of relief....

The I heard the familiar reptile garbled wail sound and opened my eyes to see the car was being driven by a reptile and there were two others in the back seat. When the car stopped at red lights, I jumped out and ran again. Running, running, running, till I came to a black door.

I went in through the black door and leaned against it as I closed it....breathing a sigh of relief. Until I looked up and realised I was back in the club and the reptiles were now coming down the last bit of the fireman's pole, about to reach me.

I woke up. Sweating and terrified.

I much prefer the smell of oranges in my dreams :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Last night i had a dream that i had signed for Liverpool.

The first game was against United and i scored a hat trick.

Frada set up all the goals.

Stovelid was the United manager.

Alwaysadub was the ref.

Years ago i had a dream that i was in a car with my dad.

He was chasing after someone trying to run them down.

Just before he hit him, the man turned around.

It was Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I've gotten the smell of oranges in my dreams - really strong, lovely smell of oranges. I particularly like that one.

Is the smell of oranges associated with a particularly happy memory?

Fizzlesque wrote: »

I dunno, now that you ask, you've got me wondering if it is.

I do like the smell of oranges - though I prefer lemon or lime. Might just be the fact it's a fresh and zingy smell that awakens the senses :)

Or it might have a deeper connection. Something for me to muse upon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I have ridiculously vivid dreams where my teeth are falling out in handfuls. Im actually spitting dozens of them into my hand or they're hanging by a thread in my gums and im going up to people showing them cos they dont believe me. I literally wake up sweating they seem so real.

Another one i had i swear i felt like i was on my way out or something :o This black banshee type yoke was screeching at me as if she was sucking the life out of me, but i was able to wake myself up as i knew i was dreaming. It was this weird struggle though and as i woke up she was sucked backwards screaming at me in rage because she couldnt get me....:eek::eek::eek: No word of a lie, thinking of that dream still gives me the shivers it was so realistic and scary.

Orange flavoured condoms?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

RVP 11 wrote: »

No, banana;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

RVP 11 wrote: »

i use unflavoured ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Do anybody else's eyes glaze over when somebody starts to talk about their "crazy" dreams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i do get crazy dreams if ive eaten cheese late at night.

often get that dream where i keep waking up but im still really asleep.

and the teeth falling out dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

My dreams are pretty sad and embarrassing tbh because they ALWAYS involve celebrities:o
    The amount of weird dreams I've had recently is shocking:

I was the 6th member of one direction! But I got kicked out because I was always drinking, passing out and couldn't sing (ironic or what!)

I was in England with my friends and I was in some council estate and low and behold, we stumbled upon olly murs' house. We became friends with him before we robbed him!

Then during that same dream above, I was in Italy in some kind of parade in a car with lady gaga.... Flash forward to us doing heroin and getting busted by the guards which involved us trying to hide the syringes and I ended up breaking it in my hand causing me to wake up.

:confused::confused::confused:
    Thank god my dreams don't reflect my real life otherwise I'd have some fucking serious issues!

Do anybody else's eyes glaze over when somebody starts to talk about their "crazy" dreams

Not if the conversation is about 'crazy' dreams you've had. Some dreams are interesting to hear.

Telling every single dream you've ever had would cause a glazing...but so does people posting on threads about a specific subjects to ask does that particular subject bring a glaze to one's eyes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

anniehoo wrote: »
    Another one i had i swear i felt like i was on my way out or something :o This black banshee type yoke was screeching at me as if she was sucking the life out of me, but i was able to wake myself up as i knew i was dreaming. It was this weird struggle though and as i woke up she was sucked backwards screaming at me in rage because she couldnt get me....:eek::eek::eek: No word of a lie, thinking of that dream still gives me the shivers it was so realistic and scary.

Thats a Succubus. I'm afraid you are possessed. Take a bath in holy water immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Plazaman wrote: »
    Thats a Succubus. I'm afraid you are possessed. Take a bath in holy water immediately.
    Ehhh.,..she certainly wasnt seducing me i can tell ya that :D It looked more like the black inky ghoul thing in harry potter!

Advertisement