Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English, Media.. Etc etc :P

Options
  • 24-06-2012 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Is anyone studying English, Media & Cultural Studies, and could tell me a bit about it? Like the lectures, or modules or timetable... Anything about it really :)

Thinking of putting it higher up on my CAO, pretty unsure tbh.. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Hey there!

I graduated from this course a couple of years ago, so things might have changed a little since then. The modules that I can remember though are
    Introduction to English (Studying plays, poetry, novels)
    Broadcasting, Media and cultural studies (history, media industry, advertising TV and film)
    Modernism, Romanticism, Postmodernism, Renaissance, 19th century and 20 century literature - all different modules going over significant novels, plays and poems. You'l study most of these in 1st and 2nd year. Includes writers from all over the world.
    Critical theory - teaches you how to critically analyse texts,
    Political economy and globalisation
    and the electives (these are optional) - technology and culture, creative writing, gothic and horror studies and american writing.

and the timetable is usually only 12-15 hours per week, you will have a four-day week in some semesters. very managable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

hey what might you be doing now with your degree? do you feel its looked upon well? im stuck between this and english with film in ucd, i like how this is 4 years, english with film is only 3, but if i wanted to get into journalism say, what do you think would be better off!

did you enjoy the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Hmmm.. Thanks. :)

Think I'll put it up further, couldn't decide as I live quite a distance from it... Well an hour I guess. :L

But it seems pretty interesting, so I guess see what happens. :)

jmclee, I just completed an MA in American Writing in UCD, I've been volunteer teaching with some disadvantaged youth groups (kids who left school early, with literacy problems etc) I've been accepted into the PGDE this year, teaching English and CSPE.

I feel it's very well looked on. Loads of us got into jobs and masters easily. It's also so broad, you have a lot of choices for once you leave. Several of our class went into further study, such as conflict studies, media and film theory, and sexuality studies, and music journalism. It was hard work coming into 4th year, but overall it was the best course for me, I really enjoyed it. :)

• Advertisement

Oh and as for getting into journalism, there was a few modules I think would be pretty helpful, such as Critical theory (for book reviews and such), Political Economy, Control and Censorship (this was mostly media based) and Creative Writing. One guy from our course did some stuff for the Dubliner magazine, one girl did a music journalism course and got a little bit of stuff published online (I think?) so you'll definitley learn some useful skills.

Advertisement