Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Options

• 24-06-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I hope someone can help - I want to do Medicine, preferably in Galway but not vital. However I may not get enough points between LC and HPAT - Can anyone suggest an alternative path that could get me into Medicine by doing a Post Grad with a relevant primary degree?
    Thanks Rick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

ricky93 wrote: »
    Hi
    I hope someone can help - I want to do Medicine, preferably in Galway but not vital. However I may not get enough points between LC and HPAT - Can anyone suggest an alternative path that could get me into Medicine by doing a Post Grad with a relevant primary degree?
    Thanks Rick

I'm not 100% if I understand your post. Apologies. Do you mean a medicine degree in the end, or a degree which is relating to medicine and that type of job?

Well, here is what you could do.

In Galway (NUIG), there are other medicine related courses. Biomedical science being quite "medical" related! If you are interested in the anatomical/pharmacological/biochemical/physiological side of humanity and how they help in our lives through both research and their practical applications, this would be a good course. There are postgrads. available and would lead you to a medicine related job, possibly in a hospital too!

Then there is also physics with medical physics. This encompasses everything physic-related in medicine. This could possibly be from lab-work and mapping bacteria to x-ray work or vaccination work either I presume. This would be more mathsy and more understanding and how you can apply your knowledge to things also.
    [URL="http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/physics-with-medical-physics.html"[/URL]

There is also podiatry ( medicine relating to feet/leg/chiropody http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/podiatry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ricky93

Thanks and apologies I wasnt clear! I just want to work (and probably do research) in medicine and your answer helps. Regards Rick
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'm not 100% if I understand your post. Apologies. Do you mean a medicine degree in the end, or a degree which is relating to medicine and that type of job?

Well, here is what you could do.

In Galway (NUIG), there are other medicine related courses. Biomedical science being quite "medical" related! If you are interested in the anatomical/pharmacological/biochemical/physiological side of humanity and how they help in our lives through both research and their practical applications, this would be a good course. There are postgrads. available and would lead you to a medicine related job, possibly in a hospital too!

Then there is also physics with medical physics. This encompasses everything physic-related in medicine. This could possibly be from lab-work and mapping bacteria to x-ray work or vaccination work either I presume. This would be more mathsy and more understanding and how you can apply your knowledge to things also.
    [URL="http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/physics-with-medical-physics.html"[/URL]

There is also podiatry ( medicine relating to feet/leg/chiropody http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/podiatry.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

your options are:

get the points (repeat LC if needed)
    do another degree, get a 2.1, then do the gamsat for graduate entry medicine
    apply as a mature student when over 23 years old
    go to Poland, Czech Republic etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Cool. You've a lot of choice. You could look into radiology(working with x rays) optology, audiology, medicinal chemistry, medical science and microbiology etc. Check the undergraduate courses under the college of medicine nursing in each college.

Advertisement