Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick days

Options
  • 24-06-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Currently working in a large Irish owed retail organization for the past 5 years, A co-worker of mine also been here 5 years has been sick 3 periods in the last sick months. 1st time 2 days ,2nd time 3 days and 3rd time 3 days. Both of us s

she was called for her back to working meeting and told she be getting a verbal warning for been sick and having a cert was not good enough. In general over the 5 years she said she has only missed couple of days never the maximum sick payed days which are 12 in any giving year. Both of us are not in the union now i wound be considering joining if this is the carry on been genuine sick.

Is this just a ploy of the company to use this as a scare tactic or are they in there rights to give warning over been sick with a cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

surestew wrote: »
    Currently working in a large Irish owed retail organization for the past 5 years, A co-worker of mine also been here 5 years has been sick 3 periods in the last sick months. 1st time 2 days ,2nd time 3 days and 3rd time 3 days. Both of us s

she was called for her back to working meeting and told she be getting a verbal warning for been sick and having a cert was not good enough. In general over the 5 years she said she has only missed couple of days never the maximum sick payed days which are 12 in any giving year. Both of us are not in the union now i wound be considering joining if this is the carry on been genuine sick.

Is this just a ploy of the company to use this as a scare tactic or are they in there rights to give warning over been sick with a cert.

This is completely bang out of order people get sick it happens! You don't need a union to tell them that they are completely out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The fact the company will pay up to 12 sick days per year does not mean this is some max level you should try to reach, or that this is the standard you have to stay below.

Assuming you mean three different sick periods in six months totalling 8 days, then I would expect an employee to be spoken to, this is far above the norm for the industry and needs to be addressed as a worrying trend.
    While people are entitled to be sick 8 days on three separate occasions within six months would raise a red flag in any organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What does your sickness policy say about the number of permitted absences in any given period?

Where I work 3 instances in a rolling 6 month period will result in a sit down with management and possible disciplinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cuana wrote: »
    This is completely bang out of order people get sick it happens! You don't need a union to tell them that they are completely out of order

A certificate explains the absence, but does not excuse it.

In some companies, being sick that often suggests someone is not medically fit for the job.

(It's not my personal line, but one used by some employers. You need to be ready for it before a manager trots it out.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

surestew wrote: »
    only missed couple of days

8 days is a lot and we are just halfway through the calender year

Bring the union rep to the meeting, I assume it's Mandate since it's retail

But the warning is going to be given.

The only chip you and your rep could use is if it's just you getting the warning and other staff are not getting them.
    It's a large Irish company so you won't be alone
    If they say it's a new policy or it already exists well ask to see it in the handbook

If she was new they would probably extend her probation, since she is there 5 years verbal warning is what they've chosen

As for not being near the 12, as said above it's a limit, not a target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cuana wrote: »

Absenteeism, even if it's certified, should be handled through the disciplinary process. So they are not out of order in that regard. If I were them, I'd probably cover my ass and not outright say that I would be issuing a warning, but a meeting would be had.

I'd agree that those 8 days sounds like quite a lot.

Advertisement