Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting

Options
  • 24-06-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Do all Voluntary organisations Garda Vet their members?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

The Civil Defence and all three voluntary aid societies (St John Ambulance, Red Cross, Order of Malta) require Garda vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Do all Voluntary organisations Garda Vet their members?
    Also any dealings with minors and Young adults,You have to be Garda Vetted.. Child protection law etc

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Interesting..........was speaking to somebody recently and was told that a certain vol org had a member on its books that was convicted of attempted murder, which totally baffled me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Interesting..........was speaking to somebody recently and was told that a certain vol org had a member on its books that was convicted of attempted murder, which totally baffled me!

:eek: I know people have had to leave for refusing to submit them. You don't know what skeletons people have hidden in their closets.

sgthighway wrote: »

:eek: I know people have had to leave for refusing to submit them. You don't know what skeletons people have hidden in their closets.

Tell me about it!..........The person in question is supposedly an OIC.

I just can't understand how this could slip through the net or is somebody turning a blind eye??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

well we all know what the rumour mill is like in the vols at times, prob best to take these kind of rumours with a pinch of salt.

miju wrote: »
    well we all know what the rumour mill is like in the vols at times, prob best to take these kind of rumours with a pinch of salt.

I know what you mean..........its the type of offence that worries me its not just a misdemeanor.........and I was actually told by various sources full details of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I know what you mean..........its the type of offence that worries me its not just a misdemeanor.........and I was actually told by various sources full details of the incident.

I know what you mean but you have to be careful. I know a lad who was in court as a witness to an assault who has heard it back from a couple of people that he was in court for assault and that he was convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vidar

also remember garda vetting will only release the data about a person to the org, its then up to the org if they wish to allow the person to be a member. each case seems to be dealt with on a case by case basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Hi, I know this is a little off-topic, but I don't want to start another thread.

I applied for a volunteering position with Volunteer Ireland a couple of weeks ago for an event in August. I was selected last week and they said they'd send me a Garda Vetting form within the next week. This evening, just over an hour ago, I received an email with a Garda Vetting form attached.

They said they needed to receive the completed form by 11 July, just under two weeks away. But as far as I know, the Garda Vetting process takes a few months, not a few days. Are they being realistic? Post doesn't run again until Monday which means I'll have just over a week to get this sorted. Do you think it's at all realistic thinking that the Vetting process would only take a few days?

[PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE TEXT IF REPLYING - THANK YOU]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

They only want the completed form back..... complete it, return it and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

vidar wrote: »
    also remember garda vetting will only release the data about a person to the org...

This is my understanding too. You can't request vetting for yourself. Your employer (or potential employer) must request it , even if that means getting you to fill out the form for them. Despite this, I applied for a position in a well known ambulance service and they asked me to supply a garda clearance cert.

BTW, its also my understanding that its not true vetting / clearance, just a check on your personal details under the data protection act to see if you have a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vidar

its a release of an conviction or proceedings taken or any other relevant information, its garda vetting only, so not full vetting into the person

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's also worth noting that to become authorised by PHECC to implement CPGs that you have to have security clearance on your members (it mentions garda vetting)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Murdock123

Rumours go around and people add to things, Maybe this person was in court for murder and was cleared of the offence in the first instance or appealed it to a higher court and won there appeal.. I am sure if it shows on a vetting form the organisation would take it serious, and if the person didnt write it on the form it would be mentioned by the Vetting office..

Advertisement