Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trimming nails

• 24-06-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭

how do you know when a dog need his nails cut.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dog+nails&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|QxHMcVzro09xxM:

This should be a brief idea for you. The last picture shows the proper length a nail should be.

Do be careful with black nails as it's impossible to see the blood vessel in the nail.

If the nails are significantly long, then you'll need to continually trim every few days so as to not cut the vessel but push it further back in the nail.

Should you be uncertain ask a vet to show you.

Hope this helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Are they causing him pain?
    When his paw is flat on the ground are his nails level with the ground?

I never need to get my dogs nails done because I do a good bit of road walking so they get filed down naturally. When he's in the vets I just them checked over to be sure. Never had to get them clipped yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

A significantly large amount of white on the nail means they need to be cut. However be super careful you dont cut the pink part of the nail (the quick). It contains blood vessels and is extremely painful if it is cut.
    Also, if you can hear his nails when hes walking on a wooden floor, it probably meant their too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

sotisme wrote: »
    A significantly large amount of white on the nail means they need to be cut. However be super careful you dont cut the pink part of the nail (the quick). It contains blood vessels and is extremely painful if it is cut.
    Also, if you can hear his nails when hes walking on a wooden floor, it probably meant their too long.
    My dogs nails can be heard on my floors & there's no problem. I had him in the vet on Friday getting a new collar & I got the nurse to check him & she said everything's ok.
    I do watch his dewclaws but they never need to be done, he must have a nail file hidden in his kennel to keep them trim :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭cena

sotisme wrote: »

There is no white on his nails. so I be safe to say all is fine. he walks on the road alot

• Advertisement
Advertisement