Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a God Parent

Options
  • 24-06-2012 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

One of my brothers and his wife have asked me to be God Parent to my nephew, who is due to be born in August.

I said I'd be honoured to, but I don't really understand the job. They described it as being a little bit like a life tutor, which I quite like. I had four godparents myself and they didn't really have much input into my life. . How does your Godparent interact with or influence your child in a positive way? Is there any role for the Godparent before the baby arrives?

I know the Godparent's position has no legal standing, but I'd be really interested in any examples of effective Godparenting you've experienced.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

This is terrible but the main thing I do with my godchildren is give them something extra special at their birthdays and christmas compared to my other nieces and nephews.

The role is to be a good role model and moral compass for them. Also if anything should happen to their parents you would need to be prepared to step in & raise the children (this should obviously be discussed first). Mainly it's because the parents want you to feature strongly in their child's life and it's an honour to be asked.

There is nothing to be done before he is born! Enjoy it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

When my best mate asked what I was asking when I asked him to be Rory's god-father, I replied "teach her to surf, bring her on a few adventures and if anything happens me, look out for her". I'd imagine every parent on the board would give you a different answer bar the last part tbh.

To some, it's a religious position, to other's it's asking someone who has personality traits you admire and would like your child to be influenced by.

The best person to answer your questions are your brother and his wife.

• Administrators Posts: 14,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Just to clarify... Being a Godparent has no legal standing or bearing on whether or not you get custody of the child(ren) on the occassion of something tragic happening the parents.

A 12 year old child can be a Godparent once they have made their confirmation.

I am Godparent to two kids. I doesn't really involve a whole lot, but I do tend to take a little bit more interest in them than I do the other kids - nephews/friend's kids etc - in my life.

You will make the role of Godparent what you want it to be. There is no legal obligation or things you must do. During the baptism you will agree that you will guide the child in the faith (or something along those lines)

Ask the parents what they would like you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I am not religious but i have 4 god children, 2 catholic, 1 methodist and 1 non religious. I take each one out for a day once or twice a year and i'm just there for them! Its just a special relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

For a lot of people, it's just that you have to give them something extra on their birthdays and at Christmas. I have two Godparents, my Grandad who doesn't even remember I'm his God child and an Aunt who I see every now and then and who gives me money on my birthday and not the other nieces and nephews. I have one God child, my sister and we have a good relationship anyway. It's what you make it really. It can be something special if you want it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm god mother to 3, and have godparents for my own kids. It's an honour to be asked, it's nice to be included and I know the people we asked for our two really seemed to be thrilled.

I don't expect anything extra or anything. My goddaughter I used to really push the boat out for her, but then the mother started getting a bit 'funny' about it, like I was flashing cash in her face or something :rolleyes:

So now, I don't do anything extra for any of them and don't expect anything for my children either. They get their moment of glory at the christening and anything after that is a lovely bonus :D

Advertisement