Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back to into reading

Options
  • 24-06-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

It's been years since I got myself a book and for the past while I've being walking past Eason's never managing to buy a good read.

I should be walking by Easons over the next few days.
    If anybody can name a few book's that can spark some enthusiasm in me for reading it be much appreciated.

Thanks for any interest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I've just started A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It's not a new book, in fact it was published in 1989, but it's well worth your time and money.

It's very moving, very funny and brilliantly written. Look it up online if you want more info, but I'd recommend just taking a chance on it.

Eason's should have it, and if not it would only take a day or two to order in. But if you live in Dublin check out Chapters on Parnell Street. I seen copies of this, and other John Irving novels, for €5 in the second-hand section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

"The Sisters Brothers" is excellent. It's a little like "O Brother, Where Art Thou" but with occasional gunfights. The characters moved me deeply.

Another vote for Chapters, here. The place is like an aircraft hangar lined with literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I've just started A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It's not a new book, in fact it was published in 1989, but it's well worth your time and money.

It's very moving, very funny and brilliantly written. Look it up online if you want more info, but I'd recommend just taking a chance on it.

Eason's should have it, and if not it would only take a day or two to order in. But if you live in Dublin check out Chapters on Parnell Street. I seen copies of this, and other John Irving novels, for €5 in the second-hand section.

I googled the book and there's nothing but great ratings with 90,000 reviews,seems to be a good read.

I should be around town on Tuesday to buy it,so can't wait to get stuck into it,If there any other book's you recommend go ahead.

@Quatermain

Also had a look at "The Sisters Brothers".
    The story look's pretty interesting with hired murder's.Yeah I be buying a few book's so thanks for the recommendation certainly check the book out as well
    as Chapters.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you are starting off after a long break why not start with some short stories. Dubliners by Joyce, any of Hemingway's collection, Winesborg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson, anything by Carver, Frank O Connor or Chekhov.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Read The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I'll give you your money back if you don't like it. The footnotes are great also and should be read, as we have an unreliable narrator, the footnotes act as a literary device to challenge the main narrative like a jester contesting the king at court.

Have you read Lolita by Nabokov? Do you want to read a novel by a russian master writing it in his third language and producing something better than most english novelists wrote in their mother tongue.
    Seduce me Vladimir!!!!!

How about Foe by J.M Coetzee. If I gush over it will you read it?:D
    joking aside, this short novel is a re-telling of Robinson Crusoe. A reinvention of you will, of the classic desert island story. Coetzee's work ponders and probes the nature of storytelling, the power of language and society and raises genuine questions about all things "Truth", you know that thing Plato dedicated his life to?

I'll name drop a few more books and you and other literary lurkers can google and wiki and discover new writers and books.

Zorba The Greek-Nikos Kanzantakis. Ooooh, Albert Camus stole the Nobel from him, but this very contest should highlight what league he was in.

Memoirs Of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar.

Fup by Jim Dodge. What does Stephen Fry have in common with me? We both love this little book!

The Remains Of The Day by Kazao Isiguro. People should have known from watching Batman that Butlers are anything but boring!

The Sense Of An Ending or Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes. Here's living proof of a writing wizard. Barnes writing would make any wannabe writer jealous. He's that damn good. What's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

Grievous wrote: »
    Read The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I'll give you your money back if you don't like it. The footnotes are great also and should be read, as we have an unreliable narrator, the footnotes act as a literary device to challenge the main narrative like a jester contesting the king at court.

Have you read Lolita by Nabokov? Do you want to read a novel by a russian master writing it in his third language and producing something better than most english novelists wrote in their mother tongue.
    Seduce me Vladimir!!!!!

How about Foe by J.M Coetzee. If I gush over it will you read it?:D
    joking aside, this short novel is a re-telling of Robinson Crusoe. A reinvention of you will, of the classic desert island story. Coetzee's work ponders and probes the nature of storytelling, the power of language and society and raises genuine questions about all things "Truth", you know that thing Plato dedicated his life to?

I'll name drop a few more books and you and other literary lurkers can google and wiki and discover new writers and books.

Zorba The Greek-Nikos Kanzantakis. Ooooh, Albert Camus stole the Nobel from him, but this very contest should highlight what league he was in.

Memoirs Of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar.

Fup by Jim Dodge. What does Stephen Fry have in common with me? We both love this little book!

The Remains Of The Day by Kazao Isiguro. People should have known from watching Batman that Butlers are anything but boring!

The Sense Of An Ending or Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes. Here's living proof of a writing wizard. Barnes writing would make any wannabe writer jealous. He's that damn good. What's the point?

Wow that's a great amount of book's to look over.
    Thank you very much for sharing your passion and experience of books.
    Will certainly have a look for the books above the next time I'm wondering around Chapters.

@Quatermain

" "The Sisters Brothers" is excellent. It's a little like "O Brother, Where Art Thou" but with occasional gunfights. The characters moved me deeply.

Another vote for Chapters, here. The place is like an aircraft hangar lined with literature."

I've bought "Sisters and Brothers" second hand in chapters.
    I shall read this book first thanks.

@ThridMan

"I've just started A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It's not a new book, in fact it was published in 1989, but it's well worth your time and money."

Tried to buy the book second hand but haven't been successful,I will get my hands on it,chapters have told me to come back during the week as they will hold onto a copy for me.
    I've bought instead "The shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon,a book you have giving high marks, in a different post thanks.

I completely agree Chapters have been excellent to visit,staff have been very helpful and pleasant.

Advertisement