Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steroids/Cats hungry all the time

• 24-06-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

We have a cat that is on steroids for her gums. She has an auto immune problem where she is allergic to teeth plaque. She can't eat hard food so we have her on whiskas pouches.

Anyway, she is permanently hungry! Every two hours she is looking for food.
    She has a permanent supply of water, and we worm her regularly.

Would the steroids be stimulating her metabolism causing the constant hunger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Steroids increase your appetite for definite! The dosage determines just how crazed you get about it. I've been on steroids a few times and it is hard to control the eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I have my cavalier king charles on steroids at the moment(started tremoring, local vet couldnt diagnose him, went to UCD vet hospital, got MRI scan & lumber puncture (?), all results turned out to be fine, blood & urine samples sent to top experts in California who couldn't diagnose him either, so were left with "a case of a really rare neurological disorder" :()
    But the steroids have stopped the tremors luckily. His appetite is all over the place, he is starving constantly and would do anything for food. He has been on them for a few months now and tomorrow were going to the vet to hopefully see if we can reduce dosage (at the start we gave in and he has put on a lot of weight) as he has lost a lot of muscle. He has seriously skinny legs now and a pot belly. But they have made him much better:) And our hope is to gradually wean him off them. I know their hunger increases but if you feed them more they will put on weight. And Charlie is only like(loss of muscle ect) this as hes been on them for a good while. Good luck

Advertisement