Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basselier

• 24-06-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi all -
    there's lovely wee pups being advertised on done deal at the minute, a cross between a basset hound and a king charles spaniel. googling is great for info on the ads/disadvantages of the cross, and for more cute puppy pictures, but does anyone know what these dogs will look like when they're fully grown? or know of anyone who has one that can recommend?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

That's just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Please do NOT buy one of these puppies. Puppy farmers and backyard breeders purposefully cross these dogs with absolutely no thoughts on their health just to give them a stupid name and sell them as something rare. No responsible breeder cross breeds, it is an insult to a breed to cross it with another (Bar if it is really being done to try and breed out a health problem, which is not happening with crosses like this). If you want a mongrel, then please go rescue one from a pound or shelter; do not pay money for something completely unknown. And with the staggering amount of health issues both of these breeds have, I imagine a cross of the two would be short-lived and extremely unhealthy. You dont get a healthier dog by crossing two purebreds; you just double the risk of getting a sick dog. Not to mention that a cav and a basset are two very, very different dogs and there is absolutely no telling which temperament you'll get

Also, have to say, a Basselier? Really? These mongrel, sorry 'designer breeds' names are just getting more idiotic by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1

Also bear in mind that the 'breeder' can call it what they like but at the end of the day it's a mutt, mongrel, crossbreed. It can look like either breed, behave like either breed and there's no way anyway can tell you what it will be like because it's a primary cross. So research both breeds and it will look like something between both and behave somewhere between the 2.

If you're looking for a mutt then why not go to the pound or a local rescue, you'll find that you can still call it whatever 'designer' breed name you want and it will cost you far less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A Basset crossed with a Cavalier? :eek:

Two of the unhealthiest breeds it's possible to get, and someone has crossed them? :eek:

They'll rack up some vet's bills!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

hugsymcg wrote: »
    hi all -
    there's lovely wee pups being advertised on done deal at the minute, a cross between a basset hound and a king charles spaniel. googling is great for info on the ads/disadvantages of the cross, and for more cute puppy pictures, but does anyone know what these dogs will look like when they're fully grown? or know of anyone who has one that can recommend?
    thanks!

I can't understand why anyone would pay for a crossbreed. If you are looking for a crossbreed there are plenty in pounds and rescue centres. Cavs and bassets can have a lot of hereditory problems. Who knows what they will look like fully grown, I have met loads of labradoodles and they all look different and can have very different temperaments. Has this "breeder" done any health tests. A dog will live longer than most people keep their cars, would you buy a car from a disreputable dealer and without a logbook? I know I wouldn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

Millem wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would pay for a crossbreed. If you are looking for a crossbreed there are plenty in pounds and rescue centres. Cavs and bassets can have a lot of hereditory problems. Who knows what they will look like fully grown, I have met loads of labradoodles and they all look different and can have very different temperaments. Has this "breeder" done any health tests. A dog will live longer than most people keep their cars, would you buy a car from a disreputable dealer and without a logbook? I know I wouldn't!

i payed for a cross breed , pug x beagle , i didnt buy her because of her breed , orwhat she was crossed with , i baught her for a companion , she is like a best friend to me ,

only picture i have handy from a pup to now is this i got made of her buy a guy online
    daisy002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I know a lady who has a basset x rottweiler cross, damndest looking creature- very funny. But he was a pound rescue, can't imagine anyone would want to cross breed such dogs on purpose.
    OP, you're basically going to shell out for a mutt with questionable thought put into breeding. I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

antocann wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

i payed for a cross breed , pug x beagle , i didnt buy her because of her breed , orwhat she was crossed with , i baught her for a companion , she is like a best friend to me ,

only picture i have handy from a pup to now is this i got made of her buy a guy online
    daisy002.jpg

Tbh all pet dogs (crossbreeds and purebreeds) are companions and best friends for the majority of people. The point is people are paying a lot of money for crossbreeds that are given "designer" names (you dog was probably advertised as a puggle), the parents have had no relevant health testing, the dogs are more than likely not microchipped or properly vaccinated and the pups have probably been raised out in a shed! People who buy from these "breeders" are only lining their pockets and encouraging them to keep breeding. If someone is not bothered whether they have a purebred dog then IMHO they should get a rescue, included in the rehoming fee (which is a fraction of what it would cost them to buy one of these "designer" breeds) the dogs will be vaccinated, microchipped and neutered. If someone wants a purebred dog then go to a reputable breeder who has done the health tests but be prepared to wait until a pup comes up (even at that it doesn't guarantee good health). Recently there was a thread from two owners who bought Labradors who had no health testing done and as a result have huge problems with their hips which will be extremely expensive to treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I know a lady who has a basset x rottweiler cross, damndest looking creature- very funny. But he was a pound rescue, can't imagine anyone would want to cross breed such dogs on purpose.
    OP, you're basically going to shell out for a mutt with questionable thought put into breeding. I wouldn't do it.

Please post a pic of that dog, i can't even begin to imagine what they look like!

Now on topic, I personally don't understand why anyone would pay for a cross breed puppy when there are plenty of crossbreeds in rescue that need homes. In my experience and by many accounts puggles, cockapoo's, cavachon and every other designer breed mostly if not exclusively come from puppy farmers and back yard breeders.

They are crosses so they fly under the radar of the kennel club, they sell them for usually between €100-€200 not as much most pure breds, they have names like I said above, people get to say I have a puggle not a crossbreed, and finally they make for very cute puppies. These are just some of the reasons why these pups sell very well.

However if people took the time to think what was behind the pictures of the cute puppies there is often a horrific story, bitches who exist solely to pump out litter after litter, all kept in filthy conditions, no vet care, no consideration for the welfare of dogs and puppies. The only reason people breed these poor dogs is for money and no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr.Breen

Get a nice pure breed with papers. or a rescue dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We could call our wee dog a "russet". She is half JRT and half Basset.

Accident; her JRT mother was dumped when in pup so there was no knowing what the father was. It is not a combination one would choose but we love her dearly.

Always we would rescue. As many have said here.

Advertisement