Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in the UK - Suggestions!

Options
  • 24-06-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for hiking trips (min 1 night overnight) in the UK - preferably a few hours train from London.

I want to go away this summer (when it's nice, if ever). I was thinking either somewhere in the Peak District or either the Cotswolds Way (so far from my research).

I would hope to over about 40km and camp out overnight.

Any advice welcome - not really sure where to search over here though. All the website I have looked at so far are only really walks of about 5-10miles max!

Thanks

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

if its a very few hours from London, then the South Downs might be an option: train to Eastbourne and then walk to Winchester. is got the South Downs way, but theres any number of potential routes and start and finish points. i doubt you'd ever be an hour by train from London...

it depends what you want - the south downs are easy, gentle rolling countryside. lots of people about and you're never more than a mile from someones house - if you want something harder, more remote, more visually exciting, then you'll have to go a long way west or north. Cotswolds would be vaguely similar...

2hrs 15mins from Paddington would see you in Abergavenny (£21 single) from where the whole of the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons is your oyster - 3hrs 52 mins from Euston would see you in Betws-y-Coed in Snowdonia, or 4hrs to Machynlleth, again in Snowdonia.

2 hrs 38mins would get you from London Euston to Oxenholme or another 20 mins to Penrith - the whole of the Lake District is open for you from there.

it all depends on what you want to walk through, how much time you've got to travel, how much cash you've got for trains, and what your walking capabilities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Thanks guys,

I might look into the Cotswalds area. I have cycled the SDW a few times now, and the Cotswalds seemed really bueatiful when I was last there.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I reckon the op means hiking in England, otherwise, I'd reccomend the Mourne wall up in Down

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Yes in England... Any more advise...
    Thanks guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

the Cotswold way is 'nice', but a) its way more than a weekend job, and b) if i had a couple of days to walk and camp, i wouldn't waste my weekend on the Cotswolds.

the Cotswolds are pretty, but the towns/villages - while gorgeous - can be heaving with tourists, theres not much in the way of campsites and wild camping would be both difficult and illegal because almost all of the Cotswolds are farmed, agricultural land. its a large area (perhaps a 100km long?) and while the landscape of one end is different to the landscape at the other, it does change quite slowly, so a cycling weekend yes, a walking weekend, no...

my personal recommendation would be either the Lake District - walk from Pooley bridge to Kendal via High Street for example - or Black mountains and the Brecon Beacons from Abergavenny. both would have much more in the way of accommodation options and possible routes than the cotswolds.

as i say, it depends if you want rolling countryside or mountains...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

OS119 wrote: »
    the Cotswold way is 'nice', but a) its way more than a weekend job, and b) if i had a couple of days to walk and camp, i wouldn't waste my weekend on the Cotswolds.

the Cotswolds are pretty, but the towns/villages - while gorgeous - can be heaving with tourists, theres not much in the way of campsites and wild camping would be both difficult and illegal because almost all of the Cotswolds are farmed, agricultural land. its a large area (perhaps a 100km long?) and while the landscape of one end is different to the landscape at the other, it does change quite slowly, so a cycling weekend yes, a walking weekend, no...

my personal recommendation would be either the Lake District - walk from Pooley bridge to Kendal via High Street for example - or Black mountains and the Brecon Beacons from Abergavenny. both would have much more in the way of accommodation options and possible routes than the cotswolds.

as i say, it depends if you want rolling countryside or mountains...
    thats what i say,go north young man go north

Advertisement