Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NSAI- does it mean anything?

• 24-06-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello,

I hope someone can help. We are getting windows replaced in an old house. We are undecided between 2 companies; quotes are similar, one has NSAI rated windows and the other doesn't. Does this rating actually mean anything??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would mean the windows are made to a standard set out by NSAI . What the standards entail for windows I don't know. But if the price is the same I'd say go with the company that has the certification.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The nsai offers a rating system. In the absence of a detailed specification this rating system has some merit.
    How else will you compare like with like?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

So it is important?

BadAngel wrote: »
    Hello,

I hope someone can help. We are getting windows replaced in an old house. We are undecided between 2 companies; quotes are similar, one has NSAI rated windows and the other doesn't. Does this rating actually mean anything??
    define 'similar'
    • what is the Uvalue of the glass?
    • the frame?
    • the overall Uvalue?
    • what is the air-tightness rating?
    • what are the seals like?
    • what is the Solar factor?
    • shading factor?
    • what is the guarantee?
    • what is fine print regarding the guarantee?
    • are they both given you the standards as per EN410 and ISO 9050
    do you feel confident to rate these 'similar windows' or would you employ an architect/technician to advise you? or would take the word of the NSAI who do a comparison and offer a rating... its up to you. personally i dont think much of the NSAI rating but then I'm happy to compare windows using the above questions (& additional) and profile/material comparisons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Thanks for the replies. We are struggling to choose which company to go with... I guess it's between Sean Doyle and Gradys. There's a difference of about €1,500 between the two quotes (Doyles being cheaper). Does anyone know how they are so much cheaper??

• Advertisement

why not put up the specification of each similar to my list of questions above;)

Advertisement