Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray kitten

• 24-06-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

A kitten turned up crying at my door today, it has a collar and is very friendly, i asked my neighbours but they didn't own it. I have put some posters up around where i live and hopefully someone will call. I just need some advice in the meantime.

1 - How often should i feed it? I bought some whiskas for it but it hasn't touched it yet.

2 - Im scared its going to start crapping all over my house overnight (i dont know if its house trained) I bought a litter tray for it so i was thinking of leaving the kitten in the bathroom, where the litter tray is overnight. Would that be ok?

At a guess i think it is about 10 - 12 weeks old. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

I think the kitten will eat when it's hungry enough. If you are leaving the kitten in the bathroom overnight, make sure you keep the toilet seat/lid down! Curiosity/cats and all that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Kittens are very nervous around people when they meet them first. They have to get their bearings. I agree with toilet seat comment, they are very curious!!!

Can you be sure of the kittens age as if she is younger there are things that she can't do for herself. We had a kitten one time who had been abandoned by his mother and wasn't able to go to the toilet on his own. Keep an eye on the litter tray, that could be why he has no appetite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd love if a kitten turned up at my door, or a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Kittens are very nervous around people when they meet them first. They have to get their bearings. I agree with toilet seat comment, they are very curious!!!

Can you be sure of the kittens age as if she is younger there are things that she can't do for herself. We had a kitten one time who had been abandoned by his mother and wasn't able to go to the toilet on his own. Keep an eye on the litter tray, that could be why he has no appetite

I can't really be sure of its age but I had a look online and she looks to be the size of a 10 - 12 week old. Still no sign of her eating or using the litter tray yet. I just hope she is house trained because if she is not my house mates will not want her in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

bring the little guy to your local vet and make sure you tell them its a stray it should be free to get him looked over

i found a kitten a couple of years ago and he wouldn't eat or drink anything he had to get used to me and he had to be bottle fead for the first 2 weeks as he was only a couple of weeks old

cats will normally go for a litter tray anyway while inside as they like to bury their dropping but if its a male cat if will want to mark its teritory and if it starts to trust and it may mark some of your things like your bed or were you sit this is what happened to me he would sneak down to my bed when no one was around climb under the cover and pee were i slept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'd be more concerned about her not eating in a 12 hour period to be honest - are you sure she is weaned?

I would take her to the vet to get checked out as a priority.

Re food:
    Try feeding her a small bit of food using your finger to make sure she is actually eating, small kittens can have difficuly eating out of a saucer for example.

Also, make sure she has access to water - again, you need a very shallow dish.

As for the litter tray - cats are naturally very clean, and will often instinctively go for the litter tray, but make sure it is easy for her to get in and out of. If she does have an accident outside the litter box, clean it up with tissue/kitchen towel, and put the solied tissue in the litter tray so she associates it with going to the toilet.

Well the good news is i've gotten home from work and she has eaten and used the litter tray. I haven't had any calls yet and if i'm honest id be sad to see her go, its only been a day and i'm attached to her:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

She could be micro chipped - if you take her to the vets they'll check for free. Also there could be posters for her in the vets - there's always posters in ours.

Yeah im going to take her down the nearest vets when i get a chance, cheers for the replies.

Advertisement