Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heather Wurtele / IM CDA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just to play devils advocate, what if this was a different race and Lance Armstrong decides to help Chris Leito (forget the drugs stuff). It's a hilly start with lots of technical descents followed by 120km of flat roads. Lance takes out a TT bike whilst Leito is on a road bike. 60km in the tricky stuff has finished and Lance hands the TT bike on to Leito to finsh the cycle. Would that be ok because it's not technically outside assistance?

In reality I think it's harsh to DQ her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Update: They physically pulled her from the race (was in 2nd position).

Just to play devils advocate, what if this was a different race and Lance Armstrong decides to help Chris Leito (forget the drugs stuff). It's a hilly start with lots of technical descents followed by 120km of flat roads. Lance takes out a TT bike whilst Leito is on a road bike. 60km in the tricky stuff has finished and Lance hands the TT bike on to Leito to finsh the cycle. Would that be ok because it's not technically outside assistance?

Great example of where it falls down, but in the past Chrissie has received assistance after wasting her co2, and Jonathan Hotchkiss has given a race wheel to another competitor, so in your example I'd say yep its fine.

Will be interesting to see what Meredith Kesslers got to say when she discovers they pulled Heather (she wasnt aware of it, and they didnt tell her at the finish line), sounded like she had massive respect for her continuing given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

kingQuez wrote: »
    Great example of where it falls down, but in the past Chrissie has received assistance after wasting her co2, and Jonathan Hotchkiss has given a race wheel to another competitor, so in your example I'd say yep its fine.

I'm guessing you saw the Miranda Carfrae tweets? She was pretty gutted about it all.

Was it WTC or USAT sanctioned?

USAT explicitely state that the only assistance that can be had is from race officials (not fellow competitors).

But to me the whole thing goes against the ethos of Triathlon. the supporting and encouraging of your fellow competitors through adversity. The way the winners of IM's come back to clap the last people home across the line. Own goal for the officials IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm guessing you saw the Miranda Carfrae tweets? She was pretty gutted about it all.

Was it WTC or USAT sanctioned?

USAT explicitely state that the only assistance that can be had is from race officials (not fellow competitors).

But to me the whole thing goes against the ethos of Triathlon. the supporting and encouraging of your fellow competitors through adversity. The way the winners of IM's come back to clap the last people home across the line. Own goal for the officials IMO.

I was reading those tweets alright. Hard to believe they pulled her off the course. I don't know enough about the rules to comment but IMO if it's a competitor helping another competitor then it should be fine

Advertisement