Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPC3925-Modem Problem!

• 24-06-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently upgraded from 25mb to 50mb upc pack, UPC sent me out a new modem the 'epc3925'. But the problem I had was that the wifi connection was poor, I rang UPC yesterday and they said they changed the connection line for me, but this only helped to stabalise the connection from jumping from high speeds to very low. The problem now is that the new modem I got has poor wifi range, I'm barley getting 20mb on my laptop upstairs, the last modem i had the epc2425 could get me a full conection on my laptop,I rang UPC today and asked them could i plug in a better router to my modem and they said yes. So what I was wondering Would I still be able to use my phone line from the 'epc3925' modem but use the wifi from the new router. :)

Also:
    I was thinking of buying the 'Belkin 750db' router, would this help in getting a better wifi connection around my house for gaming upstairs .ect.
    Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Yes, you can just plug a new wireless router in. All you have to do is plug an ethernet cable from the epc modem directly into the "ethernet in" port on the belkin. Then just turn the wireless on, on the belkin. Normally I'd put the epc modem in bridge mode, but I don't think you can put that epc modem in it without effecting the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JoshuaH

Would bridge mode be of benefit e.g make the connection better? And thanks for helping!:D

Well, it only makes things easier to port forward, but it works out the same if you know what you're doing. Like, if you port forward on the new router, you'll have to port forward the same ports on the epc router. This is a very quick explanation from my understanding of bridge mode anyway. Someone might give a much more details difference

And if you have UPC phones, your won't be able to bridge mode since it will kill the phone lines. as far as i know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JoshuaH

Thanks alot! So I'll just connect the epc modem to the new router, and won't use bridge mode. Also by any chane would you know of the new modem helping much in wifi range? And thanks again!

Well, you have a few options, You could get the belkin and improve the wireless signal, as with any wireless signal, it degrades over distance, so you still might get a poor connection on the console.

You could also try powerplugs, or what I'd try first would be a wifi range extender/ bridge. Have a look at this: http://www.dabs.ie/products/edimax-wireless-n--802-11n--range-extender-5BR5.html?q=extender&src=16

• Advertisement
Advertisement