Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hipsters...Cool or not?

• 24-06-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Are they too cool with their skinny jeans, large glasses (complete with clear lens), and their disdain for the rest of us.

Lad from home has upped sticks and moved to London. Made friends with him on FB...good to see and hear from him again...until....his photos show him evolving into a hipster.

He now looks like a dirty Russell Brand. Recent photos show him in combat shorts, huge boots, low v neck tshirt and a tattoo on each little finger (a pipe on one and a moustache on the other...you put one finger on your top lip and the other hangs from your mouth)

The only problem is that this fellow is a bog man who loves the gaa and a few pints and ham sandwiches.

Anyway....hipsters...too cool for school or knobheads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Cunts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Douchebags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

It's cute when they're 17-20 or so. Anything older than that and it becomes a bit of a sorry situation. Especially the men in skinny jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Let him at it, if he's happy ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

This song sums it up nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Strictly for knobheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

brummytom wrote: »
    Cunts

I'd much prefer them than hanging around with a small minded judgemental insulting person.
    Douchebags.

Same.
    Neil3030 wrote: »

Thanks actual rational person.
    Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    This song sums it up nicely.

Love that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

They can look like whatever they want. I used to get abuse roared at me all the time for having long hair. Pricks tended to do it out of passing cars more than anything, hard men like.

I'll wear what I like and other people should do the same. The only cnuts are judgemental people.

Tattooing your hand is a bit short sited though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Soon it will be too mainstream to dislike them, making it cool to like them.

I, however, will never like them.

Very narcissistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

The whole point of being a hipster is you like new trends, then drop them for something newer as soon as the 'normals' catch on. Now sorry but there sounds like a way to live your life like one absolute wanker. You are being dictated what to like by clothes shops and magazines.

I think I will stick to liking what I like and fúck what the rest think, that's the only way

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

They need a haircut and a kick up the arse, that's what they need. What self-respecting male would willingly wear ball crushing jeans or those stupid boots?

weemcd wrote: »
    The whole point of being a hipster is you like new trends, then drop them for something newer as soon as the 'normals' catch on. Now sorry but there sounds like a way to live your life like one absolute wanker. You are being dictated what to like by clothes shops and magazines.

I think I will stick to liking what I like and fúck what the rest think, that's the only way

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is pretty much what being a hipster is, the strawman hipster if he exists, is more like the two judgemental posters at the top of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

as a person who has to wear glasses

anyone who wears them with no lenses or clear glass, deserves to be beaten to death with their own face.

end of fcuking story

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Nope they are a bunch of fools who love themselves too much, although one of my friends could be called one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'd much prefer them than hanging around with a small minded judgemental insulting person.

Ah well, they're still cunts

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

These females and she-males seem to dress and act in a way designed to attract maximum attention.
    You really mean to tell me that the day-glo leather skirt and vintage blouse and flower in your long flowing hair isn't an exercise in "notice me! I'm special!"?

It is if you're a guy.

Mission accomplished - I've noticed you.

And fair play you DO stand out - as a total douche....

brummytom wrote: »
    Ah well, they're still cunts

What does that make you?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Come visit us at Worldwide Hipster Day 2014, taking place tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I am letting him at it....but trying to pretend to be something you're not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I just hate those stupid glasses. Every girl seems to be wearing them these days and it just makes them look like idiots.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

What?

mfceiling wrote: »

Maybe that is how he is, now that he doesn't have to worry about his small minded mates giving him sh*t? I'm delighted for your mate to be away from you, bitching about him on-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

There's a few people using the word "Douche" on here - I would have thought that quite a hipster word to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

du Maurier wrote: »
    There's a few people using the word "Douche" on here - I would have thought that quite a hipster word to use.

Ive been using it all my life, wouldnt have thought it was one myself.

• cocoshovel wrote: »
    I just hate those stupid glasses. Every girl seems to be wearing them these days and it just makes them look like idiots.

I wear them because I can't fcking see anything with 'normal' size frames. They take up half my field of vision. It's either hipster glasses or frameless specs that make me look like my auntie Dora. I know I look like a tool but they're really comfortable and I have peripheral vision now so meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I wish some people would stop worrying so much about what other people wear, its only clothes, if you don't like it don't wear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,355 ✭✭✭✭endacl

People are people. Fixies are dumb. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What does that make you?
    Better than a hipster

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

du Maurier wrote: »

You might have a point there.....

Tool, tosser, tosspot, tit......and thats just limiting myself to words starting with T..

Oh, and twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Where are yiz finding all these hipsters you're complaining about? Ireland doesn't actually produce very many of them. Are you sure you didn't just watch the Dickhead video a few too many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

Funboys of the highest order. Since when was it "cool" for blokes to dress like women? Walk into Dublin and look around at the amount of men in v-neck t-shirts and elasticated chinos rolled up at the ankles :eek:

It's a case of walking into Topman and buying the same ****e that you, your mates and all the other X Factor wannabes are wearing. While you're at it get your haircut like you just got dragged from the 1920's and get a few Sailor Jerry tattoos because they're "in" too.

You're not "hip" or forward thinking, you just look like a plank.

I blame Paul Galvin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Dubnobass wrote: »
    all the other X Factor wannabes are wearing.

Don't think you're quite grasping the concept of a hipster there, chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Where are yiz finding all these hipsters you're complaining about? Ireland doesn't actually produce very many of them. Are you sure you didn't just watch the Dickhead video a few too many times?

Looks like we got ourselves a hipster here. Those glasses in your avatar pic look like clear glass/empty frames.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I wear them because I can't fcking see anything with 'normal' size frames. They take up half my field of vision. It's either hipster glasses or frameless specs that make me look like my auntie Dora. I know I look like a tool but they're really comfortable and I have peripheral vision now so meh.

All the same reasons applied 2 to 3 years ago but I bet you weren't wearing them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

Don't think you're quite grasping the concept of a hipster there, chap.

I think I've grasped it just fine. Looking like a hipster is one and the same as what the X Factor fodder are wearing.

Hipsters are as mainstream as they come, no matter how hard they try to convince themselves otherwise. Youth Culture is dead.

• Advertisement

There are some sad cases in here. Are there a load of school kids posting tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What does that make you?

Eh, not a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On the plus side, their skinny jeans should lower their sperm count. So at least they won't be reproducing.

• Kooli wrote: »
    All the same reasons applied 2 to 3 years ago but I bet you weren't wearing them then?

No, because nowhere sold them then. I usually ended up making do without wearing my glasses because I found them so irritating. I'm delighted that bigger frames are widely available now. I'm sorry you don't like them, but I like being able to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Maybe that is how he is, now that he doesn't have to worry about his small minded mates giving him sh*t? I'm delighted for your mate to be away from you, bitching about him on-line.

Never said he was my mate....

He's a lad from home who I linked up with on FB...good to see how someone is getting on after not having any contact in 5-6 years.

How am I small minded? I merely pointed out how he has "re-invented" himself into a "hipster" and I asked the question "are hipsters cool"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's like any fad. If you try too hard at it you're going to look ridiculous.
    I wouldn't give a **** at the same time though, if I wanted to dress like that, I would.

I'd probably also be a dickhead but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the plus side, their skinny jeans should lower their sperm count. So at least they won't be reproducing.
    Every cloud...a silver lining :)

I can safely say it is pathetic...the amount of effort they put into "not caring" just shows how much they care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

How did the Hipster burn his tongue?

He tried to drink his tea before it was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

How much does a Hipster weigh?
    An Instagram!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Two words.... Chino W@nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

It's no different to any fad really, they look like cunts to everyone observing them at it, think they look cool, grow out of it and then cringe at what a cunt they looked during that fad.

This one comes with added factor of them acting like cunt too though which will turn the cringe dial up a few notches when they snap out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Wouldn't be into it at all myself but some of the chicks can look pretty sexy. Each to their own I suppose.

A million things more important going on in the world than what style someone decides to prade around in.

God what style hasn't been bashed in AH. What's considered normal? Actually who gives a ****. No one. Who is anyone to judge how people dress or look, why would you even give a toss in the first place. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wouldn't be into it at all myself but some of the chicks can look pretty sexy.

I think that is in spite of not because of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Wouldn't be into it at all myself but some of the chicks can look pretty sexy.

I think that is in spite of not because of.[/

Good point but it all comes off anyway but for kicks I might just ask can she keep the glasses on. Don't want to get it in her eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Wouldn't be into it at all myself but some of the chicks can look pretty sexy. Each to their own I suppose.

A million things more important going on in the world than what style someone decides to prade around in.

God what style hasn't been bashed in AH. What's considered normal? Actually who gives a ****. No one. Who is anyone to judge how people dress or look, why would you even give a toss in the first place. FFS
    Ben Sherman shirts and acid-wash jeans. Always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement