Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hipsters...Cool or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

du Maurier wrote: »
    There's a few people using the word "Douche" on here - I would have thought that quite a hipster word to use.

I was saying douche before it was it their mainstream word!

What does that make me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

My theory is that everyone is a hipster to someone else.

I’m sure in some ways even I qualify as one but I have friends that would defiantly fit all the stereotypical definitions.

I live in Melbourne which is a real hipster town in a lot of ways and the only types of hipster that I really hate are the quasi philosophical dicks who think their philosophers and post instagram photos with so called inspirational quotes written over them on facebook. I also dislike the type that belittles your opinion on something because they believe that they know something much cooler and can’t believe that you like whatever it is you like.

Having said that I don’t judge them on their clothes (although I sometimes find this very difficult as skinny jeans on a man are just wrong in my opinion.) because following fashion trends and wanting to look good isn’t that bad really.

Also no one thinks they’re a hipster I was out with a friend who saw a group of people and said to me “Check out those hipsters!” this was from a guy who cycles a fixed gear bike wears skinny jeans and is really into new Indie music. I just laughed at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was saying douche before it was it their mainstream word!

What does that make me :eek:

Their leader. :eek::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Sheep of a different (and really twat-ish) flock.

Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Doc wrote: »
    My theory is that everyone is a hipster to someone else.

I’m sure in some ways even I qualify as one but I have friends that would defiantly fit all the stereotypical definitions.

I live in Melbourne which is a real hipster town in a lot of ways and the only types of hipster that I really hate are the quasi philosophical dicks who think their philosophers and post instagram photos with so called inspirational quotes written over them on facebook. I also dislike the type that belittles your opinion on something because they believe that they know something much cooler and can’t believe that you like whatever it is you like.

Having said that I don’t judge them on their clothes (although I sometimes find this very difficult as skinny jeans on a man are just wrong in my opinion.) because following fashion trends and wanting to look good isn’t that bad really.

Also no one thinks they’re a hipster I was out with a friend who saw a group of people and said to me “Check out those hipsters!” this was from a guy who cycles a fixed gear bike wears skinny jeans and is really into new Indie music. I just laughed at him.

I think you'll find that in true hipster fashion, he was being ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They need a haircut and a kick up the arse, that's what they need. What self-respecting male would willingly wear ball crushing jeans or those stupid boots?

Reminds me of my mother: "look at that earring, I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl these days".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think you'll find that in true hipster fashion, he was being ironic.

Not deliberately but yes it was quite ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i hated hipsters before it was cool

but thats far too mainstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Two words.... Chino W@nkers
    I wear chinos but I'm not a hipster!

• Advertisement

However I dislike the fake glasses they wear. Wtf like

Not cool btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I just don't understand how so many people can - down to the tiniest detail- dress so similarly. I mean down to the smallest piece of jewellery or the manner in which they leave their laces untied. It takes a phenomenal amount of effort. I like talking to people and getting to know new people but I just can't convince myself that I'm going to have anything in common with someone who goes out of their way- seriously out of their way- to mould themselves into the mirror image of everyone they see around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

CommanderC wrote: »
    I just don't understand how so many people can - down to the tiniest detail- dress so similarly. I mean down to the smallest piece of jewellery or the manner in which they leave their laces untied. It takes a phenomenal amount of effort. I like talking to people and getting to know new people but I just can't convince myself that I'm going to have anything in common with someone who goes out of their way- seriously out of their way- to mould themselves into the mirror image of everyone they see around them.

Safety in numbers. Don't stick out lest you be seen as 'normal'. The horror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

They are the complete and utter opposite of cool, always thinking of how they are being perceived by others. The irony of the 'hipster' is that they don't like to be labelled. They are neither hippy, square, emo, goth, punk, rocker, mod or metaller. The whole point of hipster is to not be categorized into any brand of youth culture. But the word hipster fucks them right up and you'll never ever meet anyone who'll openly admit that they are a hipster.

I miss the days when people wore on their sleeves what they actually were. At different stages of my youth I was a grunger, jock, metaller and a hippy.

People care way too much nowadays of being labelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    i thought hipsters were what the girls used to wear in the 90's =o?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

EoghanIRL wrote: »

your still a wanker tho

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

The fad has gotten out of hand, to a point where Hipsters honestly aren't sure if they're being ironic or not.

Somehow, although i'm not exactly sure how, Zooey Deschanel is to blame...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7J5nRlkHeBI/TvNK_dCNcLI/AAAAAAAABNI/KnYnfNCkh3k/s1600/hipster1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How do you drown a hipster?
    In the mainstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

fitting into any branded group is not cool...unless its a reverse gangbang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Two words.... Chino W@nkers

Well if anybody knows what is hip and cool in the fashion world I doubt they go by the username paddymayoman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hipsters, so non-conforming that you can instantly spot one and know they're a hipster :pac:

The clothes don't bother me, well, bar the awful skinny jeans............and the fake glasses.................and the pointy leather shoes that look like Wizard of Oz props.

What really grates me is how to some it's cool to wear glasses and that being a self-proclaimed nerd is so in right now.......................we're not talking about "upgrading to 8GB DDR3 RAM and overclocking my i5 2500k" nerd here, rather "I once played a Gameboy........I'm soooooo retro!!"

The psuedo-philosophical, idealogical pictures and quotes they usually lump around the place are cringe-worthy, too.

Really, I always get a sense that I'm not seeing the real person. More like a cartoon version of themselves while their real selves is buried under mounds of fake irony and sarcasm. Liking Spongebob Squarepants also seems to be mandatory to them :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where are yiz finding all these hipsters you're complaining about? Ireland doesn't actually produce very many of them. Are you sure you didn't just watch the Dickhead video a few too many times?

There are a lot of them, but you wouldn't know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Should be beaten to within an inch of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Says it all really....

enhanced-buzz-21487-1336099394-0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I dont quite get it. Is it an attempt to emulate retro fashion-trends or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if you have ever bought something because it is "vintage", have one side of your head shaved, wear skinny jeans and weird boots, listen to odd music just because no one has heard of it, ride a fixie and wear thick rimmed glasses without lenses then i have some bad news. you are a hipster.

and everyone hates you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: It's a pretty obscure number, you've probably never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

Hipsters . . . I'm sure there's nothing girls find sexier than guys with bigger forearms than biceps and legs skinnier than their own :rolleyes:

My hatred for hipsters is stronger than Vader's attraction to the Dark Side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

At least it's better than the chav look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the plus side, their skinny jeans should lower their sperm count. So at least they won't be reproducing.

Now here is the final solution to the skanger question. Get skangers into skinny jeans and not this tracksuit-tucked-into-socks business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The one thing I hate is that hipsters have changed style ideas with glasses. It bad enough that I have to pay 500 euro for the lens in my current frames but now frames that arent hipster are high priced designer frames

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the plus side, their skinny jeans should lower their sperm count. So at least they won't be reproducing.

Now here is the final solution to the skanger question. Get skangers into skinny jeans and not this tracksuit-tucked-into-socks business.
    Sounds like a you'd make a good dictator ha

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Nothing wrong with most of the things you guys are mentioning like wearing skinny jeans or retro clothes or sh*t but wearing womens skinny jeans is just retarded, they obvisously aren't ment for the male crotch, and buying glasses just for the look of them is idiotic in any case. If a guy has a unique style or taste in clothes, music or whatever it should be fine but when they start being a dick about it and pretending to like bands and brands to seem more of a hipster I can see why anybody would hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Who had the audacity to try and justify tracksuits into socks to begin with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

What is it with Irish people being so judgemental? People who have a tattoo or wear tracksuit pants are scumbags. People who wear skinny jeans are hipster cúnts. etc etc.

For the record, I think they look silly but so what? The world would be a lot more boring if everyone dressed the same and liked the same things. Let them be whoever the fúck they want to be. They aren't hurting anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Cyclists I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

To stop them tripping of their over sized umbro tracksuit when their running from the "coppas"

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

They are what they are. I wouldnt class them as anything. I'm totally indifferent to their efforts. The rest of you are gotten to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,355 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This thread was cool last night. Now its mainstream and boring. If you weren't here on the first two pages, forget about it.

I'm off to find a more obscure thread. Preferably on vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Sums up perfectly how I feel about hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*Disclaimer* There aren't too many hipsters in Ireland, but I still find them annoying.

I'd normally be quite non-judgemental about groups of people who choose to dress similarly and share common interests.

But not in the case of the hipster.
    And this is why.

The hipster is a troll, and deserving of all the hatred that entails.

His actions are more noticeable in the real world, but he's little different from an internet troll.

If they all chose to dress and behave in a way I find annoying, I'd say let them off. I'd get a bit irritated by them, sure, by I would complain neither to nor about them.

Even if hipsters simply dressed and behaved in a way contrary to the perceived mainstream for the sake of it, I'd understand. After all, it's really no different from following the main stream for its own sake.

But the hipster is more than that. (S)he dresses and acts in a way meant to provoke the majority of people, even if the hipster is not fully conscious that this is his or her intent. They want to wind people up, and so wear moustaches, skinny jeans and glassless glasses they know will annoy people.
    Like the internet troll, they have so little self-worth, and fear they have so little to offer other people, the only way they dare to interact with the majority of people is by annoying them. There's no fear of rejection when you guarantee your own rejection.
    I'd pity them, if they weren't so annoying.

Also irksome is the inherent snobbery of hipsterism. Its tastes are founded not upon what its adherents like, but what non-hipsters don't know.

Therefore, a hipster is a snobby troll. How can anyone not hate them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

*Disclaimer* There aren't too many hipsters in Ireland, but I still find them annoying.

I'd normally be quite non-judgemental about groups of people who choose to dress similarly and share common interests.

But not in the case of the hipster.
    And this is why.

The hipster is a troll, and deserving of all the hatred that entails.

His actions are more noticeable in the real world, but he's little different from an internet troll.

If they all chose to dress and behave in a way I find annoying, I'd say let them off. I'd get a bit irritated by them, sure, by I would complain neither to or about them.

Even if hipsters simply dressed and behaved in a way contrary to the perceived mainstream for the sake of it, I'd understand. After all, it's really no different from following the main stream for its own sake.

But the hipster is more than that. (S)he dresses and acts in a way meant to provoke the majority of people, even if the hipster is not fully conscious that this is his or her intent. They want to wind people up, and so wear moustaches, skinny jeans and glassless glasses they know will annoy people.
    Like the internet troll, they have so little self-worth, and fear they have so little to offer other people, the only way they dare to interact with the majority of people is by annoying them. There's no fear of rejection when you guarantee your own rejection.
    I'd pity them, if they weren't so annoying.

Also irksome is the inherent snobbery of hipsterism. Its tastes are founded not upon what its adherents like, but what non-hipsters don't know.

Therefore, a hipster is a snobby troll. How can anyone not hate them?

I wish I could thank this twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

They are absolute fcuking muppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

They always look dirty, do hipsters wash? And whats the deal with them stupid boot yokes with the laces untied,they look like something a builder would wear on the site.

And feck off with your instagram ohh it makes the picture look ****tier now everyones a "photographer" go away...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Festy wrote: »
    At least it's better than the chav look :)

Anything is better than the chav look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

magma69 wrote: »
    What is it with Irish people being so judgemental? People who have a tattoo or wear tracksuit pants are scumbags. People who wear skinny jeans are hipster cúnts. etc etc.

For the record, I think they look silly but so what? The world would be a lot more boring if everyone dressed the same and liked the same things. Let them be whoever the fúck they want to be. They aren't hurting anyone.

I think you're taking this a tad too seriously.

Hipsters are still fuds, right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

A review of a pub I frequent occasionally when I pop over to east London to visit a (non-hipster) mate.

The thing is, there IS only one Jarvis Cocker. Hipsters will always fail to emulate the 'Jarvis look'.

;)

"The artistic leanings of a young, upwardly mobile community"

You know, there are only so many silly haircuts/beards, wafer-thin cardigans, skinny jeans and plimsolls one can handle in a crowded pub of an evening.

The clientele of the Prince George are, in fact, actually a parody of themselves. Rich trustafarians sporting charity shop ironic "chic" - I might just pop in next time with cream cords and a cashmere sweater just to look alternative.

Worth a visit, despite the proliferation of aforementioned arty weird beards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Don't like 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hipster boys are hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hipsterdom has to be the worst generational culture ever. Hippies, goths, punks, grunge people all had better styles and music than these people. Hipster music is as irritating as their style. The screechy guitars, the overuse of synth, the stupid mockney accents, the lyrics about the mundane things in life recast in a "philosophical" context. What litle switch turns on in someone's mind to look like this? The style is self evidently a fcking abomination. When will this hipster craze fck off and die? It's been around for too long already, like 12 twelve years. I hate it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement